Strikers - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strikers

dezmondo

Anyone else a bit concerned about this department? It seemed not long ago we had decent options but our better forwards dont appear to be either playing or scoring, and unlike the rest of the positions in the squad there doesn't appear to be many others on the cusp of breaking through. I thought central defence would be our downfall in this campaign but now I'm not so sure.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Tony Watt could be the answer?

Watt's playing for an awful team that may well be in League 1 next year. And he's only scored one goal for them. He's going to have to do a hell of a lot more than that to get into the squad.

As much as I don't think he's really much good, it will be hard to ignore Leigh Griffiths if he's still scoring goals for Celtic by the time the Gibraltar game comes round.

I'm convinced Steven Fletcher is jinxed at international level. It's not a criticism of him, he's just seems to be most unlucky Scotland striker ever !

He's had a perfectly good, legitimate goal chopped off by a clueless referee in Cardiff, had goalies make world class saves from him and opposition defenders putting in incredible last ditch blocks to deny him. Mind you, he would have got an easy tap in against Ireland had he not tried to show off with that stupid backheal trick he did.

Considering we're likely to just play 1 upfront, with Naismith playing as an attacking midfielder, we probably need to call up 3 forwards.

Fletcher is the best forward we have and will be included even if he's currently out the Sunderland team.

Griffiths is the best in-form forward we have and should be included.

Then pick one from Russell, Rhodes, Martin and May. Personally, I'd go with Rhodes.

There's far more to Steven fletchers game than scoring goals. Doesn't excuse his lack of goals but if he continues to be involved in making them then he should play. Griffiths hitting form the now id be happy to see him start both the next games

People raving about Watt 's performance yesterday. I do think he's a potential international player for the relatively near future.

Without doubt. Far more talented than May, Russell and Martin. He obviously needs to prove himself and reach his potential but he has everything you'd want in a forward.

Without doubt. Far more talented than May, Russell and Martin. He obviously needs to prove himself and reach his potential but he has everything you'd want in a forward.

I don't think Russell would ever be used as a lone striker, so he doesn't need to be compared.

But in the next 2-3 years i'd expect Griffiths, Watt and May to start to compete for that starting berth. All are fantastically talented and have the potential to be top players. So if only one fulfills their potential, then we're sorted.

I'd hope Harper gets in the mix soonish, too

He's also played for Celtic in the past, which makes him significantly better.

He's also played for Celtic in the past, which makes him significantly better.

He's also scored goals in the Champions league and the Belgian A-league against top class opposition. So we know the big venues don't intimidate him. It's only his attitude which has delayed his progress. Still only 21. So plenty of time.

I have said it elsewhere - far too soon just now for Watt. He is playing at Charlton and had a decent start there but how long has he been there? Two months? Far far too soon. Have another look if he maintains his good form and moves on to a higher level in about a year's time as far as I am concerned.

But he's played for Celtic.

Surely that's enough for him to start every game?

But he's played for Celtic.

Surely that's enough for him to start every game?

No, in my book, it doesn't work like that. Look at Commons for example - personally I was happy when he quit Scotland as was far from impressive for us. Another was Gary Caldwell. I could go on - look at Charlie Nicholas - never really did it on a regular basis for us.

You are basing this on the fact he played for the mighty Celtic for a couple of games. :rolleyes: What absolute garbage. May is the better striker.

Unsure - see who scores more between now and the end of the season I guess. Watt certainly seems to have more talent - May is struggling for goals big time at that level; 5 all season

You are basing this on the fact he played for the mighty Celtic for a couple of games. :rolleyes: What absolute garbage. May is the better striker.

No, I'm basing it on what I've seen on both players. Watt's superior scoring record at under 21 level helps too.

I see the Sheff Wed fans are already starting to turn on May. I hope he does make a success of his move down there, but I don't think he's ever going to be better than a decent Championship forward.

Watt still has a lot to prove but when it comes to raw talent, I can't see many better Scottish players in his age bracket. He badly needs games and hopefully he'll continue to get that at Charlton so he can fulfil his potential.

No, I'm basing it on what I've seen on both players. Watt's superior scoring record at under 21 level helps too.

I see the Sheff Wed fans are already starting to turn on May. I hope he does make a success of his move down there, but I don't think he's ever going to be better than a decent Championship forward.

Watt still has a lot to prove but when it comes to raw talent, I can't see many better Scottish players in his age bracket. He badly needs games and hopefully he'll continue to get that at Charlton so he can fulfil his potential.

Agree about Watt

Ipswich striker David McGoldrick in press today saying Strachan approached him last year about a scotland call up, but Ireland came first.

Matt Phillips also in the media today saying Strachan has been in contact with him and hopes to be in his plans now he has got into the QPR team.