Strikers - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strikers

dezmondo

Ipswich striker David McGoldrick in press today saying Strachan approached him last year about a scotland call up, but Ireland came first.

Matt Phillips also in the media today saying Strachan has been in contact with him and hopes to be in his plans now he has got into the QPR team.

Good news and bad news then!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ipswich striker David McGoldrick in press today saying Strachan approached him last year about a scotland call up, but Ireland came first.

Matt Phillips also in the media today saying Strachan has been in contact with him and hopes to be in his plans now he has got into the QPR team.

Just out of curiosity did it say what was McGoldrick's family link with Scotland ?

The lads over on the YBIG forum were really impressed with McGoldrick on his Ireland debut. Seems like a good find for them.

Just out of curiosity did it say what was McGoldrick's family link with Scotland ?

The lads over on the YBIG forum were really impressed with McGoldrick on his Ireland debut. Seems like a good find for them.

He's been a journeyman championship player for years, who's hit a purple patch. I see him going for big money to the premiership and failing miserably, thdn he'll end up out on loan for years. The same happens every few years

He's been a journeyman championship player for years, who's hit a purple patch. I see him going for big money to the premiership and failing miserably, thdn he'll end up out on loan for years. The same happens every few years

Wouldn't necessarily disagree with you there. Just wondering if Strachan has been looking at a couple of potential Granny rule players and that's what led him to McGoldrick.

Dose not say....

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/24677/mcgoldrick-unlikely-to-make-league-return/on-this-day

Meanwhile, McGoldrick, who recently confirmed he is eligible and wants to play for the Republic of Ireland, has revealed he turned down the opportunity to play for Scotland last year.

Other countries have tried to contact me," he told the Football League Paper, prior to suffering his knee ligament injury. "Scotland did at the end of last season, but when I found out I could play for Ireland that was it.

"Its nice to have a manager like Gordon Strachan asking you, but my mind is made up, although nothing is guaranteed with Ireland, I need to get things sorted and hope I get a call-up.

How could this guy possibly not know whether he could or not?

I think we definitely dodged a bullet there as his association to either country can't be any more than extremely tenuous.

There is another article which goes into better detail. His linked to Ireland was his mother, but she was only adoptive Irish (was not born there) so seemed like rather than be another Cascarino, he wanted to be 100% sure he qualified, and he found out he does actually through his father side or something to that effect.

Sure he was first linked with us under Burley.

Edited by wanderer

I think the fact that Strachan was contemplating such a move tells me he isn't entirely happy with the options (or lack of them) that he has at the moment. Obviously, Naismith and Fletcher are well thought of but after that up front the proven quality is questionable but I cannot or would not see McGoldrick improving us in anyway.

Maybe.

Probably just a enquiry and that was it, and came down to a choice between him and Martin for a place in the squad for the Nigeria game (from other interviews it sounds round about that time it happened), with Martin getting the nod.

Strachan was at Brentford v Bournemouth today.

Maybe.

Probably just a enquiry and that was it, and came down to a choice between him and Martin for a place in the squad for the Nigeria game (from other interviews it sounds round about that time it happened), with Martin getting the nod.

Strachan was at Brentford v Bournemouth today.

Surely must have been looking at an "eligible" ?

Not 100% sure but I think Bournemouth's Matt Ritchie can play for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it time to start re-thinking who should start up front? I love Stephen Fletcher, but if he's not playing at all, how do we justify starting him for Scotland? Martin isn't capable at that level and Strachan clearly doesn't rate Rhodes or McCormack, not that either are setting the heather alight at the moment, anyway.

I rate May, but he's been off form and benched a lot in recent months.

That leaves us with 2 options in good form: Griffiths and Watt. Both still have a lot to prove, but they are also the 2 with arguably the most natural ability. Deila has described Griffiths left foot as the best he's ever seen. Then you have Watt who is a well rounded, pacey Centre forward with huge potential.

Could it be worth giving these 2 game time in these relatively risk free games coming up?

They could play well in either of the two games coming up but neither of these games is going to be the quality or level where we really need them to cut it. I think if Strachan has them in his plans then they should be in the squad and get at least 45 each anyway.

Now the Russell is back and looking to play through the centre I'd look to him before Watt.

Also I don't have a lot of confidence in Griffiths, I'm just not convinced he has the right attitude to maintain any form. Hopefully I'm wrong - cause we are lacking depth in that department.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Johnny-Russell-confident-answer-Rams/story-26107666-detail/story.html

Hopefully Martin isn't in the squad again

Think Martin is out for a while..... caught something on SSN that Derby are asking the FA if they can bring in a emergancy loan, as they only have something like 1 fit striker available.

Just a pity Snoddy won't be available for Dublin, will be good to have him back for next seasons fixtures.

Can't see strachan straying too far from the players and system that has got us this far.

So its Naismith up front as the lone striker, with the midfiled pushing up to support him when we get the ball.

Now the Russell is back and looking to play through the centre I'd look to him before Watt.

Also I don't have a lot of confidence in Griffiths, I'm just not convinced he has the right attitude to maintain any form. Hopefully I'm wrong - cause we are lacking depth in that department.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Johnny-Russell-confident-answer-Rams/story-26107666-detail/story.html

I, and Strachan, don't see Russell as a lone striker. Same with Naismith. They can both do a job there but I'd prefer to use them in the attacking midfield slots.

Griffiths' all round game has improved under Deila and he's scoring as well. I'm not saying he's the solution but he's in certainly better form than most of our other strikers.

I'd go with Fletcher, Griffiths and Watt as our 3 main options up front with Russell and Naismith also in the team.

I do like May but no way can you justify picking him at the moment

I think the three main strikers for the next squad will be Fletcher and Griffiths, with basically a flip of a coin between May and Watt for the last place (Russell and Naismith will be listed as strikers, but will be playing behind the main striker).

Think Fletcher will start both games, with him getting subbed at half time against Northern Ireland, with probably us finishing the game with two strikers up front once the changes start ringing in as the game goes on.

Gibraltar I think he will start Fletcher again, and probably only sub him when he feels the scoreline is comfortable/respectable (with maybe a hope he will grab a couple of goals to get his goal scoring with Scotland going).

Edited by wanderer