Sfa Chiefs Visit Qatar - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sfa Chiefs Visit Qatar

davew

SFA chiefs agree Qatar tie-up after Doha visit
Mark Walker
Monday 23 February 2015
SFA CHIEFS have agreed a partnership with World Cup 2022 hosts Qatar after a visit to the Arabian nation.
A three-man SFA delegation of chief executive Stewart Regan, president Campbell Ogilvie and vice-president Rod Petrie visited the oil-rich state last week on a fact-finding visit.
They viewed their facilities including their their Aspire Academy for Sports Excellence and the Aspetar Sports Medicine Hospital, with a Scotland Under 15 squad also playing in a tournament in Doha.
And the Qatari FA have revealed they have now established close links with the SFA.
Vice-president Saud Abdulaziz Al Mohannadi said: "We had excellent discussions with the Scottish FA delegation and we have many areas of common interest.
"We agreed to strengthen areas of cooperation that will contribute to benefit the relations between our football associations.
"There will be an enhanced relationship between us in order to improve the football system in both Qatar and Scotland."
And Ogilvie insisted the SFA were happy to help to try and improve Qatari football, ahead of their controversial hosting of the World Cup next decade.
He said: "Doha has become one of the most important sports cities in the global arena.
"I'm impressed with what we have seen with their state-of-the-art facilities.
"Qatari football is progressing too and we hope to work together in the future."
I'm just trying to work out, what they were doing there, and what benefit it could possibly be to Scotland.
"There will be an enhanced relationship between us in order to improve the football system in both Qatar and Scotland."
How is a relationship with Qatar going to improve the "football system" in Scotland?

Few years back (about 2009-ish) there was talk coming out of the SFA about selling coaching courses to the Arabs and was mention of a game (IIRC was during Burleys time as manager and talk was to go to Daubi/Qatar with a squad and basically sell the coaching to the Arabs to start up a school over there..... talked died down after a few weeks and think we ended up playing Japan).

If this is a partnership link up, then good chance of a game I suppose.

I'm just trying to work out, what they were doing there, and what benefit it could possibly be to Scotland.
How is a relationship with Qatar going to improve the "football system" in Scotland?

I'm guessing we'll send coaches over and set up coaching programmes in Qatar in exchange for wads of cash to help improve our system over here.

Pretty sure we will be hearing a lot about the aspire academy over the next few years...future Qatari national team will be made up of the best youngsters from Africa and South America.

On a side note 2 players from the Celtic academy were recently invited over to play for the aspire academy against youth teams from Madrid,Milan, barca etc

On a side note 2 players from the Celtic academy were recently invited over to play for the aspire academy against youth teams from Madrid,Milan, barca etc

There was a Scotland U15 team out there last week to take part in a tournament.

Pretty sure we will be hearing a lot about the aspire academy over the next few years...future Qatari national team will be made up of the best youngsters from Africa and South America.

I can't read the article, but am I right in guessing they're buying up the worlds best youth players and getting them to turn out for Qatar?

I can't read the article, but am I right in guessing they're buying up the worlds best youth players and getting them to turn out for Qatar?

Nothing like that in the article.

Probably do what Morocco did a few years back and get a couple of Brazilian players (offer lucrative deals to join Qatar football clubs, then start the paperwork to get them nationalized in order to get them eligible to play for the national team)

Here's the link for the Celtic players

http://www.celticfc.net/news/7518

And some info on the aspire academy

http://www.aspire.qa/Football/FootballProgram/Pages/Philosophy.aspx

There was a bit on trans world sport a few hrs ago....there was 6 Brazilian youngsters at the school, don't appear to have played for Qatar at any level yet but I'm Sure the plan will be to pick the best youngsters from the poorest countries, give them a free education and a passport.

I'm guessing we'll send coaches over and set up coaching programmes in Qatar in exchange for wads of cash to help improve our system over here.

I think that's the only explanation.

The "SFA [a]re happy to help to try and improve Qatari football" in exchange for wads of cash.

I've been saying for years that their World Cup side won't feature a single local player.