Alex Mowatt - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alex Mowatt

wanderer

Quote from this link

It's unclear just how Mowatt qualifies to play for Gordon Strachan's men, but the interest is there - and speaking after the game, Redfearn said he wasn't surprised there was interest in Mowatt considering how impressive he's been this season, with quotes reported by the official Leeds United Twitter account.

Bit strange that the journo doesn't know how he qualifies if podgers1903 is right about both his parents being Scottish.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His mum and dad are both Scottish as are all of his Family but he was born in England.

Me too. But..

He chose England over us a few years back when we named him in a U17 squad the same day England named him in their squad.........

No contest. Even if I had Messi-standard ability, I'd rather never play international football than play for England. I live in Scotland now, but, I'd have happily spent my entire life in England - it's a great place to live etc - but...play for their national team? Never.

And yet...

I don't have a massive problem with us picking players like Morrison etc. Makes no sense, does it? Obviously I'd prefer 11 Christian Daillys, but as long as the players we do pick give 100%, I suppose I can handle that.

I'm with you thewelk got a wee boy due in may but as I live down here now and my other half is English he will have the choice of who he plays for ( if he is ever good enough). I have threatened to hit the a1 and floor it north as soon as she goes into labour but it still won't stop him being able to play for england

Me too. But..

No contest. Even if I had Messi-standard ability, I'd rather never play international football than play for England. I live in Scotland now, but, I'd have happily spent my entire life in England - it's a great place to live etc - but...play for their national team? Never.

And yet...

I don't have a massive problem with us picking players like Morrison etc. Makes no sense, does it? Obviously I'd prefer 11 Christian Daillys, but as long as the players we do pick give 100%, I suppose I can handle that.

:ok: I'm with you on both points though would prefer a system where players had to commit to one country or another. I don't like the thought of Scotland being anyone's second best. However if guys like Morrison give their all for the blue jersey then thats fine by me, I can be pretty forgiving. Maybe after a while they might just realise that they were a Scot all along and were just in denial! if I were Irish it's guys like Townsend and Lawrenson who'd do my head in played for their country but still I suspect prefer England (Bob Wilson and Matt Elliot fit that category for us).

This shit is getting relentless. How about we arrange another friendly with England. Here's the line up.

Matt Gilks

Matt Elliot

Dominic Matteo

Phil Bardsley

Nigel quashie

Kris commons

Alex Mowatt

James Morrison

CMS

Jamie Mackie

Chris Martin

That's the scotland team by the way.

subs: Dobbie, Stockdale, Devlin, Sullivan, Boyd

and u know what? 90% of them are total tom kite.

This shit is getting relentless. How about we arrange another friendly with England. Here's the line up.

Matt Gilks

Matt Elliot

Dominic Matteo

Phil Bardsley

Nigel quashie

Kris commons

Alex Mowatt

James Morrison

CMS

Jamie Mackie

Chris Martin

That's the scotland team by the way.

To be pedantic.... Dominic Matteo was born in Dumfries (granted we were probably his 3rd option after England and Italy)

Its strange to think that if my kid ever gets selected to play for Scotland (because he's a bit too shite to play for his mum's country) there will be people on here moaning about it and saying he shouldn't be allowed.

Yup.

Correct.

Absolutely ridiculous. Morrison is one of my favourite players.

I'd welcome him. His dad is Scottish FFS!!! If my kid was born in England I would be over the moon if he played for Scotland or England.

Some people on here very backwards

So what folk are saying here is if someone is not born in Scotland then they shouldn't play for us? Bet you were saying that about some of our great players from the past

No, most people I think would quite happily see a parent rule applied, but we're cover well trodden ground with that. I just want dignity in my national team.

So what folk are saying here is if someone is not born in Scotland then they shouldn't play for us? Bet you were saying that about some of our great players from the past

im not saying that im saying we should be first choice not agreed to be selected to boost their profile and wage packet or because the nation that they feel they represent doesnt deem them good enough to be called up.

no one for example would have a problem with jack harper being called up for instance or in the past don hutchison

and as shown above the vast majority are terrible terrible football players.

Edited by LewisEDI

I think almost all of us are fine with players who were born down south and have one or both Scottish parents.

The granny rule shouldn't exist in the first place but it's there and that's that unfortunately. Besides, Morrison is the only one that's actually been of any real use to us. Elliot, Stockdale, Dobie, Mackie, Mackail-Smith have been useless.

If however, one only wants players who were born in Scotland, and doesn't regard a lad born in England to Scottish parents as Scottish, that's very backwards.

I remember that there were a few ####wits on twitter when Anya was first brought into the team, saying pish like "he's no got a Scottish name.", "He's got no Scottish bloodline?." :rolleyes: Inbred hillbilly scum.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

I think almost all of us are fine with players who were born down south and have one or both Scottish parents.

The granny rule shouldn't exist in the first place but it's there and that's that unfortunately. Besides, Morrison is the only one that's actually been of any real use to us. Elliot, Stockdale, Dobie, Mackie, Mackail-Smith have been useless.

If however, one only wants players who were born in Scotland, and doesn't regard a lad born in England to Scottish parents as Scottish, that's very backwards.

I remember that there were a few ####wits on twitter when Anya was first brought into the team, saying pish like "he's no got a Scottish name.", "He's got no Scottish bloodline?." :rolleyes: Inbred hillbilly scum.

Exactly. Nothing narrow minded about that analysis. i just want rid of the mercenaries who frankly aren't Scottish, and I dont give a toss if they give everything for the jersey once they've been hired.

Yip and i said as much.

He's not 14 or 15 now though is he?

Weren't you one of the ones having a go at Charlie Gilmour who's 15/16 and is flirting between Scotland and England?

Isn't having a go at someone who's unsure about 2 countries at 15/16 a bit hypocritical when you're defending a kid who made disgusting comments on his twitter.