Alex Mowatt - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alex Mowatt

wanderer

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sullivan did and always had a saltire behind his goal at Wimbledon games.

That was a Scottish season ticket holder at Wimbledon who sat right behind the goals, and would always hang up a saltire at games.

When Sullivan started getting picked for us at games he would always belt out flower of scotland when Sullivan was in the goals.

This shit is getting relentless. How about we arrange another friendly with England. Here's the line up.

Matt Gilks

Matt Elliot

Dominic Matteo

Phil Bardsley

Nigel quashie

Kris commons

Alex Mowatt

James Morrison

CMS

Jamie Mackie

Chris Martin

That's the scotland team by the way.

When this subject comes up, someone always ends up saying that we'll end up with a team full of English born players.

It's interesting that that team is the best you can come up with.

The fact is, it's hard to get a game for Scotland at the moment, so there really isn't much danger of second-rate English-born eligibles getting a game.

In the last squad of 26 there was only Gilks, Martin, Morrison, and Martin.

Even going back through all the squads in 2014 you could only add Bardsley, Boyd, and Fletcher.

And from all of them, AFAIK, only Gilks, Morrison, and Boyd and "granny rule" players.

Martin, Martin, and Fletcher have Scottish parents, and Bardsley's Dad was born in Scotland.

Mowatt looks a very exciting prospect and is flourishing under Redfearn at Leeds. I wouldn't be averse to him being included in future U21 squads if he is genuinely interested in representing Scotland.

If (and at the moment its a big if......) Strachan is the one looking at him and sending McGhee to look at him, then that says to me he has a eye on him being in his squad, and not the U21's (similar to Matt Phillips.... he was eligible for the U21's, yet was put straight into the first team squad).

If the plan was to pick him and put him in the U21's, then that would be Sbragia job (Lennon has only been through the door 2 minutes, so doubt he would have much say).

Plan to get him in the next squad, get him capped v Gibraltar and tied down to us, then put him in the U21's?

Yorkshire Post is hinting almost that its a done deal that he will get a call up (though this could be to get England to get their finger out before its to late).

When this subject comes up, someone always ends up saying that we'll end up with a team full of English born players.

The fact is, it's hard to get a game for Scotland at the moment, so there really isn't much danger of second-rate English-born eligibles getting a game.

Even going back through all the squads in 2014 you could only add Bardsley, Boyd, and Fletcher.

And from all of them, AFAIK, only Gilks, Morrison, and Boyd and "granny rule" players.

Martin, Martin, and Fletcher have Scottish parents, and Bardsley's Dad was born in Scotland.

Bardsley's dad?

Seriously, that's the most tenous one of the lot.

You don't think surely that in naming that line up I was trying to assemble the best possible Anglo team? I just came up with the first team of players I personally object to playing for Scotland I could think of. But my main point here is that if you're happy with someone like Bardsley, then you therefore couldn't object to s starting line up the same as I've listed.

As someone without dual-nationality i cannot empathise with young players who have a choice of which international team to represent.

My view on this has always been influenced by Italia 90. I was fortunate enough to be in Genoa the day we beat Sweden and our opening goal was scored by Stuart McCall - who chose England (was an un-used sub for England U-21s) first then switched to us. The fact we were his second choice, after England no less, had no bearing on all of us fans going ballistic that evening.

So since then i've become slightly indifferent to this issue - of course its not ideal but we lose enough Scottish born and bred players but with dual nationality to other countries so picking up players with dual nationality but not Scottish born and bred is ok by me.

He was about to come on in that game late on but suddenly realised he did not feel Engljsh and so warmed up far from dug out so never made it on. He was then called up for Scotland. Sounds scottish to me

Still chose England first - I'm afraid that's undeniable.

He could have turned them down when he was picked for their under-21 squad but didn't

He was about to come on in that game late on but suddenly realised he did not feel Engljsh and so warmed up far from dug out so never made it on. He was then called up for Scotland. Sounds scottish to me

Much as I like Stuart McCall, I've never been convinced about that story.

You don't think surely that in naming that line up I was trying to assemble the best possible Anglo team? I just came up with the first team of players I personally object to playing for Scotland I could think of. But my main point here is that if you're happy with someone like Bardsley, then you therefore couldn't object to s starting line up the same as I've listed.

What makes me happy is a successful Scotland team.

I think the eligibility rules are BS, but they are what they are, and making up our own rules would only harm the team.

So, if it helps Scotland, every eligible player should be considered.

Where I draw the line is with players who clearly couldn't care less about Scotland. Matteo, Elliot, Commons etc.

But Bardsley doesn't belong to that category IMO.

What makes me happy is a successful Scotland team.

I think the eligibility rules are BS, but they are what they are, and making up our own rules would only harm the team.

So, if it helps Scotland, every eligible player should be considered.

Where I draw the line is with players who clearly couldn't care less about Scotland. Matteo, Elliot, Commons etc.

But Bardsley doesn't belong to that category IMO.

Fair enough matey. Yours and my understanding of what international football means are just very different.

Still chose England first - I'm afraid that's undeniable.

He could have turned them down when he was picked for their under-21 squad but didn't

Think McCall says the story is England asked first, even though he had made his desire to play for Scotland known to Roxburgh, and thinking Scotland were not interested he accepted the call from England.

Fair enough matey. Yours and my understanding of what international football means are just very different.

The point here is though that every nation in the world is at it so that makes it a level playing field.

This is not just limited to football either. Look at rugby union and look how many New Zealand-born or Fiji-born players play for the home nations over the years. Cricket as well is like this and tennis also has many players representing countries they were not born in. Get used to it as it is real and set in stone and I can't see anything changing that.

Think McCall says the story is England asked first, even though he had made his desire to play for Scotland known to Roxburgh, and thinking Scotland were not interested he accepted the call from England.

Well it doesn't change the fact he chose England first. Otherwise he would have turned them down and told them he was waiting for Scotland call only.

The point here is though that every nation in the world is at it so that makes it a level playing field.

This is not just limited to football either. Look at rugby union and look how many New Zealand-born or Fiji-born players play for the home nations over the years. Cricket as well is like this and tennis also has many players representing countries they were not born in. Get used to it as it is real and set in stone and I can't see anything changing that.

I don't care what other countries do and I know my opinion will make no difference. But I'm certainly not gonna stop complaining about it. This Alex Mowatt might swan into our first team, and the thought of playing for this country had never crossed his mind until someone has told him He could, meanwhile someone like johnny russell who grew up dreaming of playing at hampden has to watch it on tv. That's what I hate most.

Well all I can suggest is you stick to club football as nothing will change on the international scene. I don't see how you can be so irate about Scotland picking players not Scottish by birth but then post freely that you don't care what other countries are doing. That just makes it sound like you believe there should be one rule for the rest of the world and another rule for us.

Well all I can suggest is you stick to club football as nothing will change on the international scene. I don't see how you can be so irate about Scotland picking players not Scottish by birth but then post freely that you don't care what other countries are doing. That just makes it sound like you believe there should be one rule for the rest of the world and another rule for us.

That comparison honestly doesn't make sense to me. Touch of irony to the club football comment too!

Sorry if that last comment seemed a bit rude.

The point is, yes in an ideal world every nation in the world in every sport would only play players born in that country but those days are long since gone. Rules have long been in place creating loopholes and every country uses them. To suggest because it offends some that Scotland shouldn't do it is a bit daft as you are then expecting Scotland to compete with the rest of the world theoretically with one hand tied behind their back. Heck we have struggled badly in recent times with both hands free.

It is a rule so well-grounded in the sport now that it won't be removed. Managers are never going to mouth off about it as it creates more options for them in terms of players available. The only way managers would voice their displeasure is it FIFA tried limiting what nations could use the rule. That will never happen either though so managers will be happy as long as there is a level playing field on that front.

I am in two minds anyway. I can think of a fair few Scottish-born players who have let us down badly with poor attitude and couldn't give a crap attitude for us whereas you could point to a few in granny rule etc that have done damned good jobs for us and showed more desire to play for us than natural Scots.