Alex Mowatt - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alex Mowatt

wanderer

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the Ball tried to get a answer on this today (Cosgrove even went almost on name mowatt before being interrupted), but Strachan changed the subject somewhat and said he would ask anyone who is eligible, and has asked a number of players only to get a answer of no and has left it at that.

Half English, half Scottish and born in Malaysia :ok:

WHAT!1??!?!?

Take all his goals and his caps off him immediately he's making the national team a laughing stock I tell yeee imagine wanting to play for the country that his dad was from and no Malaysia traitor barsteward!!!!!

Am I doing this right?

WHAT!1??!?!?

Take all his goals and his caps off him immediately he's making the national team a laughing stock I tell yeee imagine wanting to play for the country that his dad was from and no Malaysia flipping traitor barsteward!!!!!

Am I doing this right?

Pretty much.

By some people's logic Richard Gough should have played for Sweden, Willie Maley for Ireland, Paul Wilson for India, John Hewie for South Africa and Joe Kennaway for Canada (well actually the latter did, but he also played for us too !)

They presumably also think that worlds first black international footballer, Andrew Watson, shouldn't have played for us because he was born in Guyana.

And Graham Alexander, Don Hutchison, Russell Martin and Steven Fletcher should have been told to feck right off.

Not keen on the grandparent rule but if either or both of ones parents are Scots then fair enough.

WHAT!1??!?!?

Take all his goals and his caps off him immediately he's making the national team a laughing stock I tell yeee imagine wanting to play for the country that his dad was from and no Malaysia flipping traitor barsteward!!!!!

Am I doing this right?

Yeah just keep pretending that's the argument. I'm pretty sure everyone understands the parent rule and has no objection to it, so Shaun is just fine. So, no, you're not doing it right.

I have seen natural born Scots badly let us down and those play for us through granny rule etc show more commitment to the cause.

That isn't the point though is it. So what if they give their all, that's what their getting paid to do. If someone isn't pulling their weight then the manager will do something about it. Bottom line is your happy for people who aren't Scottish or don't consider themselves Scottish to play for Scotland.

That isn't the point though is it. So what if they give their all, that's what their getting paid to do. If someone isn't pulling their weight then the manager will do something about it. Bottom line is your happy for people who aren't Scottish or don't consider themselves Scottish to play for Scotland.

If you feel that those not Scottish by birth representing us is a cheat then sorry to burst your bubble as every nation in the world has done the same. All I am interested in is that those that are selected for Scotland give 100% to the team - that is what all fans should want. Besides as I have said before being pure Scottish by birth is no guarantee of a committed individual as has been seen in recent years with the likes of Duncan Ferguson, Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy.

3 out of the starting 11 in our last competitive game weren't born in Scotland. 2 out of those 3 went to school in Scotland.

Seems to me like you're talking pash.

Sometimes Morrison, Maloney, Rhodes, Martin, Fletcher etc all play. Which I think is fine anyway, was just pointing out that it sometimes is the case

If you feel that those not Scottish by birth representing us is a cheat then sorry to burst your bubble as every nation in the world has done the same. All I am interested in is that those that are selected for Scotland give 100% to the team - that is what all fans should want. Besides as I have said before being pure Scottish by birth is no guarantee of a committed individual as has been seen in recent years with the likes of Duncan Ferguson, Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy.

Jesus Christ how many times does it have to be said, no-one is saying they have to scots of birth. I, like you, want a team 100% committed to Scotland, but I want it to be full of Scottish players (and I'll say it again in the hope it sinks in, those born elsewhere that have a Scottish parent). As far as I can tell, you and many others are happy to give caps to anyone as long as they meet the barest of criteria and doesn't matter that they had no allegiance to our country before a call up. That's your belief and fair enough, just not something I can get my head around.

Maloney, S Fletcher, Hutchinson, Alexander and Gough = players born outwith Scotland, who always wanted to represent Scotland. :ok:

Morrison, Mackie, Bardsley, CMS etc = players born outwith Scotland who only represented Scotland because they weren't good enough for their first choice.

There's a difference, even if according to FIFA and our management team there isn't. As a fan I don't think theres anything wrong with wanting the top group involved but not the second group.

If he's eligible, clearly benefits the team and wants to play for us then they're welcome in my book (Morrison fits into this category, and opting for us at a young age/ always turning up help enforce this).

However, the problem for me is that young guys like Mowatt appear to get into squads much easier than 100% Scots at the same level as them. We should only be calling up these players if they're clearly the right choice for a starting position, as otherwise they're getting in at the expense of someone else.

If he's eligible, clearly benefits the team and wants to play for us then they're welcome in my book (Morrison fits into this category, and opting for us at a young age/ always turning up help enforce this).

However, the problem for me is that young guys like Mowatt appear to get into squads much easier than 100% Scots at the same level as them. We should only be calling up these players if they're clearly the right choice for a starting position, as otherwise they're getting in at the expense of someone else.

If he's gonna switch I'd rather he does his time in the u21s, as nothing I've seen of him suggests he's any improvement on Armstrong or jack who can barely get near the squad