Istanbul - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Istanbul

irnbruman

Was there over Xmas and NY. I was very disappointed in the place, however the terrible weather probably contributed to that a lot.

The best place I visited was the Rahmi M Koç Museum, and the Modern Art Gallery. The restaurant attached to the gallery is excellent as well, and it overlooks the Bosphorus.

I found the Turkish food I have in London to be better than Istanbul - but then again I live in a very Turkish area, so I'm spoilt.

Was there over Xmas and NY. I was very disappointed in the place, however the terrible weather probably contributed to that a lot.

The best place I visited was the Rahmi M Koç Museum, and the Modern Art Gallery. The restaurant attached to the gallery is excellent as well, and it overlooks the Bosphorus.

I found the Turkish food I have in London to be better than Istanbul - but then again I live in a very Turkish area, so I'm spoilt.

Funnily enough I found the same. Ave been on green Lanes for a while and the I felt the food was better and I was embarrassed for myself, but its true. Still a cracking city mind.

We were talking to the Turkish owner of the U2 Irish bar, and he told us that the Local Govt were raising the prices of alcohol, and basically trying to close down pubs.

He said that Istanbul was progressively becoming more Islamic, with more less liberal folk from outside Istanbul moving into the city and changing ways.

He said the Istanbul nightlife is suffering because of it.

• 2 weeks later...