Victory Shield No More - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Victory Shield No More

Clyde1998

Translate that statement as 'you're not good enough for us to feel challenged by you so we're taking our ba' and going elsewhere'. Wanks :rolleyes:

Sounds about right. Maybe we could invite the Irish Republic to take part instead...

Translate that statement as 'you're not good enough for us to feel challenged by you so we're taking our ba' and going elsewhere'. Wanks :rolleyes:

The same thing happened with the full home internationals too...

Edited by Toepoke

What a load of rubbish from the English FA. Suggests they're too good for the competition yet they have lost the last two years.

Our Under 16s still manage to play opposition from further afield as well as the Victory Shield. Was it not recently we travelled to Mexico to compete? Added to the friendlies against European opposition as well.

The tournament is also good for exposing the youngsters to the TV cameras and media.

I hope we invite another nation as it would be a shame for it to end.

What a load of rubbish from the English FA. Suggests they're too good for the competition yet they have lost the last two years.

Our Under 16s still manage to play opposition from further afield as well as the Victory Shield. Was it not recently we travelled to Mexico to compete? Added to the friendlies against European opposition as well.

The tournament is also good for exposing the youngsters to the TV cameras and media.

I hope we invite another nation as it would be a shame for it to end.

Seems including the ROI would be obvious choice.

Including a guest foreign nation would also work and that could change each year. Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland &..... Sweden/Portugal/Denmark etc

All that pretentious rubbish about England's fitba 'DNA'. Is that a genetic tendency to qualify easily then fail in major tournaments?

There is reference in the FA statement to Sky trying to change the rules of the tournament. Does anyone know the details of what they were proposing?

I'm going to have to go against the grain here.

Although I enjoy watching the tournament, I would actually agree that it is not ideal for development of our young players, which is surely the ultimate goal at this age-group? I think there has been a real push by the SFA to change the style of play in Scottish national football and a new and encouraging emphasis on technique. I don't think I am convinced that playing against the other UK nations (or Ireland) would help to support that aim, as although our teams of the last few years have tried to play skillfull football, England in particular (to my eye) still had 10 giants on the pitch to outmuscle us.

Perhaps there is value in the TV aspect of it, but they will be exposed to that soon enough in their club environments. I would much rather they played continental opposition which they may not come across so often, especially if they are SPFL youngsters.

I wouldn't want our youth teams playing ROI at youth level, they poach enough players from us without advertising them in a match with them.

I'm sure ni would feel the same.

Remind me of when McCarthy or McGeady ever played for Scotland at any level ?

Matt Targett and Sam Gallagher both played for Scotland at youth level and are now playing for England Under 21s. It's not just Ireland that have taken players from us.

James Morrison may even have played against us once or twice when he was regarded as a future England prospect a number of years ago.

Wales and Northern Ireland have taken a number of former England youths into their teams as well.

Why don't we boycott all these nations in future as well ? :rolleyes:

Remind me of when McCarthy or McGeady ever played for Scotland at any level ?

Matt Targett and Sam Gallagher both played for Scotland at youth level and are now playing for England Under 21s. It's not just Ireland that have taken players from us.

James Morrison may even have played against us once or twice when he was regarded as a future England prospect a number of years ago.

Wales and Northern Ireland have taken a number of former England youths into their teams as well.

Why don't we boycott all these nations in future as well ? :rolleyes:

I am well aware that neither of these players has ever played for Scotland.

My point was that roi have a reputation for poaching players. Not just fom scotland.

I'm pretty certain that no England youth players would chose to play for Wales or NI ahead of England so they obviously weren't good enough..

I am well aware that neither of these players has ever played for Scotland.

My point was that roi have a reputation for poaching players. Not just fom scotland.

I'm pretty certain that no England youth players would chose to play for Wales or NI ahead of England so they obviously weren't good enough..

You may be interested to know that English born players Patrick Bamford and Michael Keane have recently switched from Ireland back to England. It doesn't only go one way like you are suggesting.

England have also taken ex Finland youth player Carl Jenkinson into their under 21s. Perhaps Finland should boycott playing England then ?

The suggestion that we should avoid playing Ireland is completely ridiculous. They have never taken a player "from us" that has played for Scotland at youth level. Charlie Gallagher, Tommy Coyne, Owen Coyle, Ray Houghton and Bernie Slaven never played for Scotland at any level that I know of.

Northern Ireland can have no complaints over the Republic getting players from them, they signed the Good Friday agreement and must accept the consequences. Only a sad miserable sash wearing loyalist could have any complaints over the criteria.

Or did you just want a rant against the Irish ? Can I recommend the Rangersmedia or FollowFollow forums in that case ........

You may be interested to know that English born players Patrick Bamford and Michael Keane have recently switched from Ireland back to England. It doesn't only go one way like you are suggesting.

England have also taken ex Finland youth player Carl Jenkinson into their under 21s. Perhaps Finland should boycott playing England then ?

The suggestion that we should avoid playing Ireland is completely ridiculous. They have never taken a player "from us" that has played for Scotland at youth level. Charlie Gallagher, Tommy Coyne, Owen Coyle, Ray Houghton and Bernie Slaven never played for Scotland at any level that I know of.

Northern Ireland can have no complaints over the Republic getting players from them, they signed the Good Friday agreement and must accept the consequences. Only a sad miserable sash wearing loyalist could have any complaints over the criteria.

Or did you just want a rant against the Irish ? Can I recommend the Rangersmedia or FollowFollow forums in that case ........

The Northern Ireland football team sighed the Good Friday agreement?......lol

Yeah..... you would need to wear a sash and play a flute to see an unfairness in the poaching....

your still a sectarian bigot I see.