Is This Doable Folks? Any Further Ideas? - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is This Doable Folks? Any Further Ideas?

macy37

Looking at flights to get me to a town just North of Nuremburg and going by Easyjet to Munich, while being cheap is a pain in the arse because of flight times being late and hence transfers to the town being complicated and long so I've been scouring the net for alternatives.

The best I can find is -

Ryanair -

May 12th - Edinburgh - Stanstead 10.40 - 12.05

Stanstead - Nuremburg 14.10 - 16.50

May 16th - Nuremburg - Stanstead 17.15 - 18.00

Stanstead - Edinburgh - 20.00 - 21.20

Is this doable and if there is a delay on connecting flights I take it means we are goosed and stuck hanging around for a day?!!

Anyone got any other thoughts on how to tackle this journey?

Cost wise it fits as I think it was only showing it to be around £120 all in when I looked last night.

There's a group of about 6 of us travelling.

Easyjet and (especially) Ryanair are notorious for adding 15-20 minutes onto their flight times (so they can say things like "90% of our flights arrive ahead of schedule" etc...), and with check-in online, you have more than enough time between flights.

Given how good transport links are in Germany, have you considered direct to Frankfurt and then train to Nuremburg (only 2.5 hours by train....and considering you will be spending that amount of time in Stanstead, might as well do it on the move)

Easyjet and (especially) Ryanair are notorious for adding 15-20 minutes onto their flight times (so they can say things like "90% of our flights arrive ahead of schedule" etc...), and with check-in online, you have more than enough time between flights.

Given how good transport links are in Germany, have you considered direct to Frankfurt and then train to Nuremburg (only 2.5 hours by train....and considering you will be spending that amount of time in Stanstead, might as well do it on the move)

I'll take a look but flights be far more I would guess?

I'll take a look but flights be far more I would guess?

I would not say much more than what you are paying for flights alone already.... I think Lufthansa from Edinburgh varies from £90 to £120 return (naturally you will have to pay extra for the rail fare onwards).

I would not say much more than what you are paying for flights alone already.... I think Lufthansa from Edinburgh varies from £90 to £120 return (naturally you will have to pay extra for the rail fare onwards).

Must be busy timing as showing around £180 at moment. :(

Wouldn't fancy 2 hours (scheduled) to get through the border then security at Stansted. If you're being quoted almost £200 with Ryanair - you'd be as well using Lufthansa.

Protected transfers, and with 4 flights you'll easy get back £20 worth of beer.

Wouldn't fancy 2 hours (scheduled) to get through the border then security at Stansted. If you're being quoted almost £200 with Ryanair - you'd be as well using Lufthansa.

I'm not. It's under £120 with Ryanair.

Border then security? What do you mean by that? I take it despite using the same airline we'd need to go oot then back in? Surely at any airport 45mins would be more than enough no?

Border then security? What do you mean by that? I take it despite using the same airline we'd need to go oot then back in? Surely at any airport 45mins would be more than enough no?

Ryanair do not do through bookings.... You would effectively be buying two separate tickets and would have to go through security again for 2nd flight.

I'm not. It's under £120 with Ryanair.

Must be busy timing as showing around £180 at moment. :(

Make your mind up! When I checked skyscanner, it was saying £145 with KLM/AF

Yeah.

I've waited 2 hours to get through passport checks at Stansted before. Also, your next plane will be boarding 45 mins before departure time. You're also landing at a very busy time.

It's your call though!

Ryanair do not do through bookings.... You would effectively be buying two separate tickets and would have to go through security again for 2nd flight.

Ok, thought so but surely there's plenty time as long as we're on schedule?

Klm....do they do straight through? Easy jet despite being painful times is looking more like the best option.

Make your mind up! When I checked skyscanner, it was saying £145 with KLM/AF

Yeah.

I've waited 2 hours to get through passport checks at Stansted before. Also, your next plane will be boarding 45 mins before departure time. You're also landing at a very busy time.

It's your call though!

The £180 reference was to Lufthansa.

Af? Not seeing that but I'm all ears...it's proving difficult and all for a boozy weekend! :-)

Now looking at Stuttgart from Edinburgh with Easyjet then a 3 hour train trip and just get the Munich flight back to Edinburgh.

Cheap, only involves direct flights but a bit of a ball ache to get to/from Erlangen but a train journey on the way there with rakes of beer and pretzels can't be too bad surely?