Aberdeen And Hearts.. Who's Bigger? - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Aberdeen And Hearts.. Who's Bigger?

Hearts had a lot of good seasons in the mid to late 80s and early 90s under Mercer including few second places.

And we never nearly went bust before Romanov, we nearly sold tynecastle to pay off the debt.

Are you just making this up as you go along?

One good season where you nearly won the League (photos Rossy) and then Aberdeen tit rode you in the Cup Final but apart from that the only thing I can remember about you around that time is you played the Famous Aberdeen in the first live televised League game and the Famous Aberdeen won the League in your ground.

We didn't go bust we tried to sell the place we play football in to survive haha!

I wish I was making this shit up mate

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping that him coming off on Saturday was mainly a precaution as he had only just trained on the Friday last week.

I'm sincerely hoping Saturday’s substitution was a precaution and that what I'm hearing is an attempt to somehow throw Neilson..... McGinn has had two outstanding 30 minute periods in our last two games where he's single handedly ripped the opposition apart.

One good season where you nearly won the League (photos Rossy) and then Aberdeen tit rode you in the Cup Final but apart from that the only thing I can remember about you around that time is you played the Famous Aberdeen in the first live televised League game and the Famous Aberdeen won the League in your ground.

We didn't go bust we tried to sell the place we play football in to survive haha!

I wish I was making this shit up mate

We finished second in 88 as well and under Jordan as well in the early 90s.

I remember Aberdeen losing the league on the last day of the season as well, I don't see what the obsession is with 86, you sound a bit hibbyish.

You are certainly making it up about attendances anyway.

Tynecastle would have been sold had the fans not had their way and got rid of the pieman, Romanov came and went and now we are in good shape and designing our new main stand and the fans have a real say in the future of the club.

The future is looking good.

Nothing in it imo. Both big clubs in their own right. Both have won trophies, both have been the closest challengers to winning the league in more recent times and both can pull in huge numbers when required.

Always difficult this sort of debate as everyone will have their own criteria. Outwith the shit pit these two away days, along with Hibs was the ones I looked forward to the most. Always knew it would be a tough day no matter what position the club's were in at that time.

I remember Aberdeen losing the league on the last day of the season as well, I don't see what the obsession is with 86, you sound a bit hibbyish.

Tynecastle would have been sold had the fans not had their way and got rid of the pieman, Romanov came and went and now we are in good shape and designing our new main stand and the fans have a real say in the future of the club.

We took our defeat like men unlike you lot who held each other longingly and then cried into your scarfs, that's why we laugh at you.(not you personally)

Fair play to you for getting back on an even keel now and I do agree the future does look rosy for you

You finished second in the league the year after Aberdeen did I think? We won it by 9 points in the end but it was a lot closer than that. From memory we won 1-0 at Tynecastle in a game that you battered us in and that knocked the wind from you a bit. We then went on a ridiculous run. Won something like 11 out of our last 14 games.

Incidentally the last day/party was at Pittodrie that season. McCoist scored two of the best goals of his career that day.

We took our defeat like men unlike you lot who held each other longingly and then cried into your scarfs, that's why we laugh at you.(not you personally)

Fair play to you for getting back on an even keel now and I do agree the future does look rosy for you

I don't, I was only 8 at the time.

I remember being more upset at the time about the cup final as getting beat at hampden was obviously a much bigger deal than losing at Dens.

You will be pleased to know that I was over it pretty quickly afterwards. Took my dad a wee bit longer though.

McGinn has had two outstanding 30 minute periods in our last two games where he's single handedly ripped the opposition apart.

It's almost as if there's a transfer window coming up and a European Championships he may want to play in at the end of the season...

You finished second in the league the year after Aberdeen did I think? We won it by 9 points in the end but it was a lot closer than that. From memory we won 1-0 at Tynecastle in a game that you battered us in and that knocked the wind from you a bit. We then went on a ridiculous run. Won something like 11 out of our last 14 games.

Incidentally the last day/party was at Pittodrie that season. McCoist scored two of the best goals of his career that day.

Yeah I remember we were top of the league going into the new year and then we lost 4 or 5 in a row and we were never really going to catch you.

The football that season under Joe Jordan was brutal to watch though.

Dundee United being bigger than Dundee is a decent debate, in lifetime United have pretty much always been the better team bar a few years, but looking back at Dundee's history, it's pretty rich with a good amount of European results in there too.

Yeah I remember we were top of the league going into the new year and then we lost 4 or 5 in a row and we were never really going to catch you.

The football that season under Joe Jordan was brutal to watch though.

You beat us early in the season. Goram had just signed and had a howler at your goal. Scott Crabbe maybe?

How many did United take to the one against saints a few years ago.

I remember hearts selling 35k for the 2006 one without it even going to a public sale.

Pretty sure Utd had 29,000 again for the 2014 final. In fact, I think they claimed it was their biggest ever support.

Dundee United being bigger than Dundee is a decent debate, in lifetime United have pretty much always been the better team bar a few years, but looking back at Dundee's history, it's pretty rich with a good amount of European results in there too.

Dundee have finished above Utd twice since 1965, both times while they were riding the wild bronco to near oblivion. The last time Dundee had a higher average attendance than Utd? The 1970s at the very latest is my guess.

United have won 5 major honours since 1979, Dundee have won none.

Dundee are bigger club than Utd in the same way as Renton are a bigger club than St Johnstone.

Pretty sure Utd had 29,000 again for the 2014 final. In fact, I think they claimed it was their biggest ever support.

Yep just short of 30k - shame as I thought we were going to break the 30, but still a v good turnout.

If a clubs size is about support, then hearts have without doubt the biggest consistent support now, then aberdeen, and hibs obviously.

On their day though (eg cup final) both aberdeen and hibs can match hearts for numbers i reckon. difficult to test though isnt it. without a 100k or so stadium.

Yep just short of 30k - shame as I thought we were going to break the 30, but still a v good turnout.

If a clubs size is about support, then hearts have without doubt the biggest consistent support now, then aberdeen, and hibs obviously.

On their day though (eg cup final) both aberdeen and hibs can match hearts for numbers i reckon. difficult to test though isnt it. without a 100k or so stadium.

Don't quite understand how Hibs managed to sneak into this thread,silly wee club.

I think Tynecastle probably weighs more than Pittodrie.

Hearts 4918 from 4041 games and Aberdeen 4333 from 3691 games.

Hearts racked up a lot of those points before Aberdeen were formed.

Since the WW2 to last season:

Aberdeen 3028 points from 2460 games

Hearts 2802 points from 2278 games

Since the biggest reconstruction in 1975/76

Aberdeen 1993 points from 1510 games

Dundee Utd 1769 from 1474 games

Hearts 1663 from 1328 games

Hibs 1505 from 1400 games

Since the 12 team league in 1998/99

Aberdeen 850 from 642

Hearts 849 from 604

Motherwell from 642

Dundee Utd 795 from 642

Killie 792 from 642

This is a brilliant site for all such stats -

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/scotland/premiership/all-time-table/1998-1999/2014-2015

Edited by AberdeenAngus