Memories Of Your First Scotland Game - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Memories Of Your First Scotland Game

kmcca5

My son Jimmy had me up at 5.35am asking is it was time to go to the Scotland game yet... He is so excited It's brilliant. He is only 4 and a bit so hope he has a good time.

Got me to thinking what are your memories of your first Scotland game how old wereb you etc?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1985, aged 8, my dad took me to hampden for my first game where Kenny dalglish scored "that" goal v Spain.

I took my daughter to the t & t friendly game at Easter rd a few years ago for her first game. She's been to most games since. I think she was 3.

We're all going today.

Next campaign ill hopefully take my other wee girl who's 3 just now.

I hope the wee guy enjoys the game and we get the win that hooks him for life

1978 v Bulgaria in a friendly. Nearly 70,000 there on a cold Wednesday night in February. McLeodmania was at its height!

I mind my first look at Hampden as we drove into the carpark "It's like a castle" I said. The menfolk laughed "It's as old as one inside too" they replied.

I'd just turned 8 and my faither wanted to make sure I could see ok so we tried to get in the Main Stand, but his mates could only get one ticket at the door. The old man managed to secure a lift over for us though. I had my own seat as there were two spare next to dad, but as the game kicked of they were occupied by Davie Sneddon & Walter McRae the Killie management team! So I had to sit on faither's knees, not comfy in that rickety old stand.

As for the game, Bulgaria scored early on, King Kenny equalised but I was gutted when the ref disallowed it as he'd already awarded a penalty which Archie Gemmill dispatched.

Late in the game the then relative new boy Graeme Souness went on a mazy which culminated in the winner scored by sub Ian Wallace.

I can remember the car journey back to Ayrshire. Eyes like saucers, too excited to sleep, desperate to do it all again...

Edited by Toepoke

My first game was a 5-0 home victory over San Marino. With my hero Eoin Jess scoring. it was a braw day.

One of my abiding memories is of Pat Nevin, I have no idea why though. Did he play really well that day?

1985, aged 8, my dad took me to hampden for my first game where Kenny dalglish scored "that" goal v Spain.

I took my daughter to the t & t friendly game at Easter rd a few years ago for her first game. She's been to most games since. I think she was 3.

We're all going today.

Next campaign ill hopefully take my other wee girl who's 3 just now.

I hope the wee guy enjoys the game and we get the win that hooks him for life

That was my first game as well but it was November (?) 1984. 74,000 at Hampden, we ripped Spain that night.

Yep - ran riot and scored a rare goal (for him).

Cheers. I guessed he must have been good as I've forgotten what Jess' goal was like but can still see Pat Nevin dribbling down the wing :lol:

Vs Poland at Hampden in 1965. We lost 2-1. Billy McNeil scored but two late goals from Poland meant we were effectively out of 1966 finals in England.

A great victory followed against Italy (1-0 John Greig) at Hampden but we then lost 3-0 in Italy with only a squad of 14 players as I recall.

Edited by killie97

Vs Poland at Hampden in 1965. We lost 2-1. Billy McNeil scored but two late goals from Poland meant we were effectively out of 1966 finals in England.

A great victory followed against Italy (1-0 John Greig) at Hampden but we then lost 3-0 in Italy with only a squad of 14 players as I recall.

That Italy match was my first game.

Cyprus 1989.

All I remember is how eerily quiet it went in Hampden after Cyprus scored, as the place was jumping all day and after Johnston scored place went into meltdown!

Thankfully McCoist restored order a few minutes later with the winner.

My first memory was against Engurland in '99 (I was 8 going on 9) with the WEBATA. Back then we took a minibus to games, today we have 2 coaches! Great laugh and even managed to sneak a sly swally of my dad's beer too :cheers3:

Just remember the feeling of excitement, when i walked out past the pie stand and seen the stadium full and the roar honestly never replicated. I was hooked from the get go. Missed maybe 3/4 home games since through travelling.

Nothing beats match day as a Scotland fan, it is and always will be my favourite thing to do - follow Scotland with fellow nutters like masel' :ok:

My first Scotland game was Scotland v Northern Ireland in 1973 or 74 at Hampden.I would have been about 13 and told my parents I was going to stay at a friends for a couple of nights.My mate was a Bay City Rollers fan so he leant me some of his gear.Off we went to the game decked out in tartan.I had on a pair of white parrales with a wide tartan stripe down the outside leg and on the turnups,denim jacket again trimmed with tartan.I remember walking into the West Stand to a chorus of Shangalang.

My first game was Northern Ireland at home in 74. I was 7 and I remember not a single thing about it - especially disappointing as being there means that I saw Denis Law playing for Scotland.

I have more memories of watching the England match the following Saturday on the telly. I was absolutely gutted that my Dad wouldn't let me go. It is all the more galling because that meant my first England match was the following year at Wembley. For some reason I find it difficult to remember the score of that one.