Memories Of Your First Scotland Game - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Memories Of Your First Scotland Game

kmcca5

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was 16, 1-1 with Germany at Hampden.

Bobic with a header then Kenny Miller equalised with that crafty free kick taken quickly.

I went myself. Even though my old man likes the fitba, he never goes to many games. We went to a few together after that though. I was 18 by that point so maybe being able to get pished up together forced his hand?

Anyway. Been to many games since, and nothing has topped that first experience. I remember the goal and the celebrations vividly, but for some reason the main thing that sticks in my mind was the sound of the crowd when Scotland broke forward (down the wing with a nippy wee guy, English born I think??). We had a very average team back then, but we played out of our skins that day.

First game was vs Norway when we qualified for Italy 90. Noise was incredible. My memory had Sally scoring from the half way line! Forgot about Leighton's mistake. Think this was around the time his form took a dive.

This was mine too...would have been six, stood with my dad on the north terrace. Remember being fascinated by the noise coming from the west end enclosure, Bit of a change from Fir Park!

From memory;

We played Russia in 1992(?) and we drew 1-1 at Hampden. I think Scott Booth scored and Kanchelskis played for them.

It was a Scout trip, in that I was with the Scouts not as part of a scouting trip for Championship Manager.

Remember thinking how quick Kanchelskis was and how steep Hampden was.

Turns out it was '94 but the rest seems to be accurate.

Edited by Piersquared

Wembley 1983 - lost 2-0. The first of the midweek London games, an attempt to reduce the size of the away support. 1981's "So you tried to ban us Mr Croker?" banner was reprised with "So you tried to ban us (again) Mr Croker?". I remember walking past a Rod Stewart lookalike who was wearing an "Oil Field Trash" badge. Went with my pal from school David Young who I've just found on Facebook after losing touch 30 years ago

2lxi3ox.jpg

April 1969, West Germany at Hampden in a World Cup qualifier. 1-0 down for most of the game until Bobby Murdoch scored a cracker.

Was on a school trip, over 100,000 and when the equaliser went in I experienced my first Hampden roar. of course it was the days of terracing and you just got carried off your feet when the crowd surged, absolutely epic.

Strangely, or perhaps not, the SFA have the kick-off wrong on their website. They have it as a 3:00 kick-off but I remember it being at night.

April 1969, West Germany at Hampden in a World Cup qualifier. 1-0 down for most of the game until Bobby Murdoch scored a cracker.

Was on a school trip, over 100,000 and when the equaliser went in I experienced my first Hampden roar. of course it was the days of terracing and you just got carried off your feet when the crowd surged, absolutely epic.

Strangely, or perhaps not, the SFA have the kick-off wrong on their website. They have it as a 3:00 kick-off but I remember it being at night.

Weds April 16th - 8pm kick off

Poland, Hampden 1990. 1-1 draw as an Itailia90 warm-up match. Mo Johnston and Gilllespie og. I was 14.

Pretty ironic looking back as the other half is Polish and our son's first ever game will be Scotland v Poland at Hampden next year (after being shafted for World Cup Final tickets).

This one.....

1964, my Dad took me to Hampden. Alan Gilzean scored the only goal of the game.

Crowd of almosr 135,000.

England were, even then, being touted as 'potential World Cup winners'!!

You know you're getting on a bit when you start appearing in British Pathé films!

V England in 1989, I was 8.

My main memory of the game is the noise in hampden, we were on the terrace where the north stand is now. I thought someone had scored, but it hadn't even kicked off yet, I'd only been to Motherwell games upto that point, so never seen or heard a crowd like it!

I am not 100% sure when mine was. Could have been before but I definetly went to USSR match when I was 6. Think it was Ibrox.

Don't remember much apart from how huge and cold it was and actually being able to see the pitch once everybody left after the final whistle.

Pretty sure I was at the Brazil Rous Cup game. I don't really remember anything about it though. I do have much clearer memories of a dreary 0-0 draw with Colombia but think that was about 3 years later. I must have been to more games between those 2 but I can't remember what they would have been!

Actually, now that I think about it I was at the 0-2 Rous Cup game against England. I'm now struggling to think when the first time I saw us score a goal was!

This one.....

1964, my Dad took me to Hampden. Alan Gilzean scored the only goal of the game.

Crowd of almosr 135,000.

England were, even then, being touted as 'potential World Cup winners'!!

Never seen that before, cheers. Sent it to my old man who replied saying he was there, in the old North Stand...

28 March 2001, San Marino 4-0 victory - Colin Hendry on two, what a hero.

Apart from his flying elbow!

I am not 100% sure when mine was. Could have been before but I definetly went to USSR match when I was 6. Think it was Ibrox.

Don't remember much apart from how huge and cold it was and actually being able to see the pitch once everybody left after the final whistle.

This one?...

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-10008095.html

1978 v Bulgaria in a friendly. Nearly 70,000 there on a cold Wednesday night in February. McLeodmania was at its height!

I mind my first look at Hampden as we drove into the carpark "It's like a castle" I said. The menfolk laughed "It's as old as one inside too" they replied.

I'd just turned 8 and my faither wanted to make sure I could see ok so we tried to get in the Main Stand, but his mates could only get one ticket at the door. The old man managed to secure a lift over for us though. I had my own seat as there were two spare next to dad, but as the game kicked of they were occupied by Davie Sneddon & Walter McRae the Killie management team! So I had to sit on faither's knees, not comfy in that rickety old stand.

As for the game, Bulgaria scored early on, King Kenny equalised but I was gutted when the ref disallowed it as he'd already awarded a penalty which Archie Gemmill dispatched.

Late in the game the then relative new boy Graeme Souness went on a mazy which culminated in the winner scored by sub Ian Wallace.

I can remember the car journey back to Ayrshire. Eyes like saucers, too excited to sleep, desperate to do it all again...

This was my first game as well Toepoke. I was 11. Big sister's boyfriend took me. Was so excited and like you say, it was right at the height of Argentina fever. Missed Ian Wallace's goal tho' coz the big bugger insisted we left wi 5 minutes tae go.