Memories Of Your First Scotland Game - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Memories Of Your First Scotland Game

kmcca5

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

25th March 1981. Scotland v NI World Cup qualfier. 1-1.

Not my first but I was at that game. I remember unusually for me I was in the East terracing and I'm pretty sure it was a horrible night.

My main memory though, was that the Northern Ireland fans were in the old enclosure below the main stand. They were 1-0 up and in the middle of singing "Where's yer famous Hampden roar!" Just as John Wark equalised. Put their gas at a peep.

8 minutes ago, Marky said:

Not my first but I was at that game. I remember unusually for me I was in the East terracing and I'm pretty sure it was a horrible night.

My main memory though, was that the Northern Ireland fans were in the old enclosure below the main stand. They were 1-0 up and in the middle of singing "Where's yer famous Hampden roar!" Just as John Wark equalised. Put their gas at a peep.

I was down at that end. It was pouring down and freezing. Most of the fans on both sides just spent most of the match winding each other up and not paying much attention to the game.

Edited by EddardStark

1 minute ago, EddardStark said:

I was diown at that end. It was pouring down and freezing. Most of the fans on both sides just spent most of the match winding each other up and not paying much attention to the game.

That's pretty much right. It wasn't the best of games. Seems unthinkable now that we both qualified from a group containing Portugal and Sweden. Even the "wee" team were Israel and they've never been mugs. 

I sort of remember my first away game......Israel in Tel Aviv......Kenny scored in a 1-0 win....just remember the grown ups giving me Willy Low bags full of McEwan's Export to carry through customs lol....Stepped off the plane and there were women with guns - Jeeeesoh......Remember Kenny  Burns having a good game and Willie Miller coming on for John Wark (I think).....Kenny went off and big Andy Gray came on........IIRC there were loads of Israelis with the same name....thinking a proper sort of Jewish name....but no sure - hope I'm not stereo-typing...........Got a photo with Jock but it was on a disposable camera and I must have disposed of it - gutted.............

England 1970 - me, my old man and 137,000 others - what a noise! Hooked for life despite it being (at the time) the only 0-0 since the original fixture in 1872 - we've struggled for goals ever since!

We thought we should have had 3 pens (you never forget!). Maybe we're a wee bit biased but see the clip 40 seconds in (Labone on Stein)

11 hours ago, Marky said:

That's pretty much right. It wasn't the best of games. Seems unthinkable now that we both qualified from a group containing Portugal and Sweden. Even the "wee" team were Israel and they've never been mugs. 

I often think Jock Stein doesn't get enough credit for qualifying out of that group. If I remember right, we qualified with one game to spare. We needed a point in Belfast which we got.

41 minutes ago, Tartan Eagle said:

England 1970 - me, my old man and 137,000 others - what a noise! Hooked for life despite it being (at the time) the only 0-0 since the original fixture in 1872 - we've struggled for goals ever since!

We thought we should have had 3 pens (you never forget!). Maybe we're a wee bit biased but see the clip 40 seconds in (Labone on Stein)

Oooft, stonewaller!

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I often think Jock Stein doesn't get enough credit for qualifying out of that group. If I remember right, we qualified with one game to spare. We needed a point in Belfast which we got.

Aye we had a dead rubber away to Portugal after that. Unheard of!