Hutton - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hutton

Rossy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see the game so am unable to critique nor defend Hutton's performance last night. However, it begs the question that if he's such a known liability defensively then why aren't the tactics set to cope with it, ie the CBs, or right hand of the sitting 2 midfields covering for him? Having Maloney in front of him doesn't do him any favours either. I don't think he's exactly brilliant (none of our players are - they all have limitations) but WGS obviously thinks he the best we have.

I only saw the last 60 mins on Saturday but he was with Brown and Robertson the stand out player. His run to set up the wasteful Naismith was like his set up for Faddy's great goal a few years ago (cannae mind against whom). It is a stronger argument to blame Naismith for his poor touch, control and shooting accuracy (technique) for not scoring a bunch of winning goals but who'd call for his removal? Hutton's delivery and accuracy will surely improve this year with more game time at Villa. He must only have played about 50 competitive games in the last 4 years. Naisy doesnt have any such excuse for his failings. I know this is whataboutery but the point is valid (or just as invalid in the big scheme of things).

Hutton's ability to run out of our half with the ball deep into the oppositions half beyond their first line of defenders puts us on the front foot quickly and makes room for others by drawing defenders onto him (notably Naismith and Maloney on Saturday) and we have no-one else that can do this. All the top teams have this capability, we need it also for our formation as we can't hold possession in our own half for more than 3 passes against a pressing team.

1 bad game means we drop him? Then why we still carrying Whittaker, Maloney, Hanley etc etc? Hanley's inability to time a jump for a header has cost us far more goals in his approx 15 caps than Hutton in nearly 50. But he's "young" so it's alright?? If our CBs were as talented, athletic footballers as our FBs we'd be pretty formidable team right now.

And anyway, a draw away to Poland is a good result and all the players should be credited for it.

second one was an excellent goal in my opinion although Hutton was chasing shadows. Still think he should start against ROI.

Watching the highlights last night Glen Hoddle said although Hutton was napping a bit he got done by a magnificent pass, which it was.

I would definitely play him v Ireland, he always did well against McGeady...

Everyone loves Hutton,but he looks now he is first choice at villa worse than he did before with no run of games....should be binned based on those 2 performances.he doesn't make the runs he used to,he can't clear the 1st defender with his crossing.he is lazy and getting back and is always a yard to slow to the challenge.

don't normally comment on these knee-jerk posts but it's hard to put a case for Hutton after last night's performance. Whittaker also on the left showed how good Robertson is so left back is sorted. As others have said though, who can come on the right? Bardsley is a left back and I can't think of any stand-out right back at the moment. Yes, I'm biased, but Calum Paterson could well be the answer in a couple of years but we need someone now. Having said that, still think Hutton will play next month and I'll support him the same as the other 10 players on the park

don't normally comment on these knee-jerk posts but it's hard to put a case for Hutton after last night's performance. Whittaker also on the left showed how good Robertson is so left back is sorted. As others have said though, who can come on the right? Bardsley is a left back and I can't think of any stand-out right back at the moment. Yes, I'm biased, but Calum Paterson could well be the answer in a couple of years but we need someone now. Having said that, still think Hutton will play next month and I'll support him the same as the other 10 players on the park

Bardsley is a right back who, like Whittaker, is often deployed on the left.

Don't like Paterson at right back, think he is poor defensively, much prefer McGhee in that position and I think he is the one out of the current crop of young defenders t hearts who is most likely to go on and play for Scotland

He was to blame for both goals.

Yep. Not disagreeing with that. It does seem that he's a regular for taking pelters from fans tho. He's played well for a good long while for us now, and because of one game, after which he holds his hands up and says he didnt have a good one, he's suddenly rubbish.

People seem eager to forget the good performances and that he played pretty damn well for us for a long time while he wasnt even getting a game for his club. All of it's erased from memories. Suddenly he's past it and too old to go past people, even tho he did once last night and did numerous times at the weekend.

People are so pathetically fickle and seem to be too eager to bash certain players and for me that's just stupid.

Hutton should have started the game.

He deserved it for his performances under Strachan.

He's playing well and regular for his club.

He had a bad day at the office.

No need for a crucifiction.

Thought he played well in Dortmund and at Ibrox on Saturday.

Didn't have a great game last night and haven't seen the goals on TV, but for me their second goal was the team's fault, not down to individual error. We were very comfortable in possession in midfield - bossing it as the kids would say - until we took the lead, after that we handed the initiative to the opposition and allowed them to put pressure on our goal.

Their equaliser was coming, it was only a matter of time.

Yep. Not disagreeing with that. It does seem that he's a regular for taking pelters from fans tho. He's played well for a good long while for us now, and because of one game, after which he holds his hands up and says he didnt have a good one, he's suddenly rubbish.

People seem eager to forget the good performances and that he played pretty damn well for us for a long time while he wasnt even getting a game for his club. All of it's erased from memories. Suddenly he's past it and too old to go past people, even tho he did once last night and did numerous times at the weekend.

People are so pathetically fickle and seem to be too eager to bash certain players and for me that's just stupid.

I don't think this is knee jerk or particularly fickle. I would suggest that a lot of people have been thinking he isn't the answer for quite a while - last night perhaps just highlighted the issue more? Agree that he shouldn't be crucified, also don't think he was solely to blame for the second goal.

He was a nailed on starter in previous campaigns, I think he is now struggling to keep his shirt.

That pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Pre and post-match it is always the same on here with posters needing to lambast our players. Steven Fletcher was criticised after Saturday, before last night it was Whittaker and Greer taking the flak and post-match the pantomime villain was Alan Hutton. Who next?

If you read the comments I find it hard to believe we are still in the qualifying race considering so many of our players take stick in pure knee-jerk reactions or purely with no justification in Greer's case.

Can't believe we have guys on here defending Hutton, he was mince last night and has had very few outstanding games for Scotland. Had to laugh with some comment "he has a good engine......." He is one of the laziest players I've seen in a Scotland shirt.

Can't believe we have guys on here defending Hutton, he was mince last night and has had very few outstanding games for Scotland. Had to laugh with some comment "he has a good engine......." He is one of the laziest players I've seen in a Scotland shirt.

100% correct

Lazy? He was up and down the wing in Dortmund at Dortmund and Ibrox on Saturday.

He has weaknesses, but laziness isn't one of them. He also has little competition for his place. Whittaker? Really? He did okay on Tuesday but has had bombscarish matches for us in the past. Bardsley? Can't even get in the squad.

Reckon Hutton will start against both Ireland and England barring injury.

Lazy? He was up and down the wing in Dortmund at Dortmund and Ibrox on Saturday.

He has weaknesses, but laziness isn't one of them. He also has little competition for his place. Whittaker? Really? He did okay on Tuesday but has had bombscarish matches for us in the past. Bardsley? Can't even get in the squad.

Reckon Hutton will start against both Ireland and England barring injury.

Lazy is maybe harsh. Perhaps lacklustre....? I think Rednap and Lambert shared this view of him.

We have had three matches in this campaign and Hutton had very good matches in Dortmund and at Ibrox and now after one mistake he is a liability and should be dropped.? :blink:

I am all for a bit of constructive criticism but like a bit of realism as well. We keep hearing from certain people that Hutton should be axed etc well fair enough you are entitled to your opinion. So now we go onto the what if we did axe him can you offer up a realistic option? The only one that springs to mind I wouldn't mind seeing back in the side would be Phil Bardsley but for some reason he is not flavour of the month. So if not Bardsley then who? There is nobody else ready for the job just now - those are the stark realities.

Now lets return to the myth of Hutton being a liability. He has been an ever present in the Strachan reign and by all accounts I am sure we are all in agreement that we have improved ten-fold and in the last year have lost one match in our last eight. Hardly the form of a team carrying a liability is it?

Lazy is maybe harsh. Perhaps lacklustre....? I think Rednap and Lambert shared this view of him.

He was lucklustre in Warsaw and made mistakes that contributed to both goals.

He was full of lustre in Dortmund - skipping through the German defence in the second half. He was pretty active at Ibrox on Saturday too.

If you're looking for scapegoats how about Maloney's dead balls? Found consistently wanting on both Saturday and again on Tuesday.