Hutton - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hutton

Rossy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me Bardsley must start next months game, far better at defending and getting forward, Hutton done well and still want him in squad but Bardsley better all round right back.

He was lucklustre in Warsaw and made mistakes that contributed to both goals.

He was full of lustre in Dortmund - skipping through the German defence in the second half. He was pretty active at Ibrox on Saturday too.

If you're looking for scapegoats how about Maloney's dead balls? Found consistently wanting on both Saturday and again on Tuesday.

I'm not looking for scapegoats. All i pointed out was what you did in the first sentence above.

The sad fact is, seemingly, there must always be scapegoats - even if we are on a run of one loss in eight matches in over a year. In the past seven days we have had Fletcher slated, Whittaker and Greer slated BEFORE even kicking a ball in Warsaw and now Hutton.

You're a bit of a drama queeen aren't you?! We weren't allowed to discuss the possibiliy of Whittaker playing centre half before Tuesday - now you are claiming he was lambasted before he played? Make your mind up min!!

People are permitted to discuss players performances without it equating to looking for a scapegoat. It is constructive observation. :wink2:

You're a bit of a drama queeen aren't you?! We weren't allowed to discuss the possibiliy of Whittaker playing centre half before Tuesday - now you are claiming he was lambasted before he played? Make your mind up min!!

People are permitted to discuss players performances without it equating to looking for a scapegoat. It is constructive observation. :wink2:

All I can say is thank god it is Gordon picking the side and not some of the posters on here. :wink2:

Edited by Caledonian Craig

All I can say is thank god it is Gordon picking the side and not some of the posters on here. :wink2:

Now that, I completely agree with. :ok: Have to say, I was surprised by the exclusion of Robertson, but see why WGS made the decision - and it worked, we got something from the game.

I think you're missing all the otehr things that have been said in this thread..

"in my opinion he's starting to fizzle out. His delivery wasn't great in the last two games which wasn't like him and whereas in the past he could run at the opposition all day long, they stop him quite easily now. He's been a good player for Scotland in the past but I think this will be Hutton's last campaign."

"Yep he's had his chance."

"a defensive liability. times up."

"I do wonder whether Hutton has been told not to run at/past players or whether he simply can't do it any more."

"Hutton has been a liability for years"

"should be binned based on those 2 performances"

"he is lazy and getting back and is always a yard to slow to the challenge."

"Calum Paterson could well be the answer in a couple of years but we need someone now"

"Can't believe we have guys on here defending Hutton"

"He is one of the laziest players I've seen in a Scotland shirt."

No one disagrees that he had a poor game in Poland, not even himself! All I want is for people to pay some vague attention, respect what he's done over the piece and not suddenly start saying he should never play for scotland again. That's just pure idiotic.

I would be looking at this a wee bit differently, and base who should be in the team against who and where we are playing.

For Poland and Germany away i'd have gone with Bardsley instead of Hutton. One is better at defending than the other and one is better at getting forward than the other, so why play Hutton at RB when your not going to give him the opportunity to get forward and support the attack very often? Select Bardsley and play him because he's solid and can defend. Strachan said pre Poland that is one of the reasons he selected Whittaker over Robertson, so why not at RB too? He obviously trusts Hutton as he's the only player to start all of Strachans matches in charge.

In games where we are expected to maybe be braver and get forward to win the game then Play Robertson and Hutton, Robertson was brilliant against Georgia, and he will undoubtedly play if fit in both Gibralter games and probably Ireland at home because we probably need a win in that game. I think Strachan is doing the right thing and sets his team up for each game, however going on that logic he thinks Hutton is a better defender than Bardsley which is where I don't fully agree, although he seems to know what he's doing so I will let him get on with it!

The Scotland squad, being as it is just now can't just say we have a best player for each position, because they all have different attributes that may be suited to different matches, although I believe in the not too distant future Robertson will be stronger and more experienced at defending, allowing Strachan to play him in every game.

I think you're missing all the otehr things that have been said in this thread..

"in my opinion he's starting to fizzle out. His delivery wasn't great in the last two games which wasn't like him and whereas in the past he could run at the opposition all day long, they stop him quite easily now. He's been a good player for Scotland in the past but I think this will be Hutton's last campaign."

"Yep he's had his chance."

"a defensive liability. times up."

"I do wonder whether Hutton has been told not to run at/past players or whether he simply can't do it any more."

"Hutton has been a liability for years"

"should be binned based on those 2 performances"

"he is lazy and getting back and is always a yard to slow to the challenge."

"Calum Paterson could well be the answer in a couple of years but we need someone now"

"Can't believe we have guys on here defending Hutton"

"He is one of the laziest players I've seen in a Scotland shirt."

No one disagrees that he had a poor game in Poland, not even himself! All I want is for people to pay some vague attention, respect what he's done over the piece and not suddenly start saying he should never play for scotland again. That's just pure idiotic.

I responded to one of your posts earlier in the thread - largely acknowledging this....

I just saw the goals. The second one credit has to be given to the pass and run from Polish players. If we had done that no-one would be saying "their full back fecked up there!".

The first one was certainly a bad mistake but a good finish by the Pole compounded it. Think back to Saturday; late in the game, R. Martin dollied the ball out from our 6 yard box to a Georgian on the 18 yard line who promptly screwed it wide.

Hutton's the fall guy and Martin's a "good looking" "cadillac" (some quotes from other threads) of a centre half.

Ooft - fine margins indeed. :-))

I have no idea what Hutton was trying to do at the first goal but trying to blame for the second is a wee bit harsh in my opinion. It was a fantastic bit of skill from Jedrzejczyk to instantly control that long pass then very quickly play in the perfect ball into the box. Blaming Hutton or anybody else for that goal is doing the Polish guy a bit of a disservice. Sometimes teams just score very good goals and there isn't much the defence can do about it. You can argue that one or other of the defenders might have been in the wrong positions but in order to know who was out of position, you would have needed to be at all the training sessions to know who was supposed to be doing what. Probably only Strachan can make that call and maybe try to improve it for future games. It was a good goal and Poland probably just about deserved a draw.

No excuses for the first goal though that was just piss poor defending.

I have no idea what Hutton was trying to do at the first goal but trying to blame for the second is a wee bit harsh in my opinion. It was a fantastic bit of skill from Jedrzejczyk to instantly control that long pass then very quickly play in the perfect ball into the box. Blaming Hutton or anybody else for that goal is doing the Polish guy a bit of a disservice. Sometimes teams just score very good goals and there isn't much the defence can do about it. You can argue that one or other of the defenders might have been in the wrong positions but in order to know who was out of position, you would have needed to be at all the training sessions to know who was supposed to be doing what. Probably only Strachan can make that call and maybe try to improve it for future games. It was a good goal and Poland probably just about deserved a draw.

No excuses for the first goal though that was just piss poor defending.

With the 2nd goal the only mistake he made was pushing up and leaving space in behind him for the Polish boy to run into.

Had he stayed back, Milik wouldn't have had the space to run into and if the pass was made into Milik then it wouldn't have been as easy for him to get his shot away. The flip side to that argument is that if he had sat off him and Milik had still gotten his shot away and ultimately scored then Hutton would have been criticised for not pushing up and allowing him to receive the ball easily.

With the 2nd goal the only mistake he made was pushing up and leaving space in behind him for the Polish boy to run into.

Had he stayed back, Milik wouldn't have had the space to run into and if the pass was made into Milik then it wouldn't have been as easy for him to get his shot away. The flip side to that argument is that if he had sat off him and Milik had still gotten his shot away and ultimately scored then Hutton would have been criticised for not pushing up and allowing him to receive the ball easily.

Aye. They were all over us for the second goal, we'd surrendered possession and it was wave after wave of attack.

It was only a matter of time before one of our defenders would be pulled out of position to give them a decent chance. Good finish from the Polish guy through.

Aye, you could argue that Jedrzejczyk got a wee bit too much space to start with but I don't think that was Hutton's fault. You could also argue that Martin could have been across a wee bit quicker to cover Hutton. I would like to know what Strachan thinks about it but we will probably never find out. But lets not take it away from Jedrzejczyk,, It was a great bit of skill to play Milik in. You don't see Scotland players producing a bit of skill like that very often

Unfortunately Huttons mistakes were because of the Way Strachan wants us to play. In the levein era he would have hoofed the first away along with anything that came his way.

Strachan has worked wonders but the passing out from the back style when in possession and the closing down when not will cause mistakes.

1 defeat in about 10 games and some still aren't pleased. I'll take this style any day even with the few mistakes it will lead to.

Huttons mistake wasn't because of the passing style we adopt under Strachan, it was his inability to use his left foot. I'm think Hutton wanted to take a touch with his right and clear it away immediately after but his touch was rotten.

Anyway. Post match this is better than talking about another demoralising defeat after playing for a draw. Changed days indeed.