Mark Wotte - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mark Wotte

Lion Rampant

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know he's not the most popular guy on here but I think he's done some good work and this is a big loss.

He said a few bizarre things on Twitter but he's overseen a massive grassroots development in Scottish Football. We seem to be moving in the right direction with regards to developing more "technically gifted" players and that is a good thing.

The appointment of the next PD is going to be very important.

Think the ball is now rolling, so who ever comes in now is going to have a much easier ride than what Mark had, as that is the first signs of his work starting to come through.

If he had left a year into the job it would have disheartening with all these promises of the future, but never expected him to last right to the end of the project.

Unfortunately my first thought was Stark.

I really hope that they go all out for another foreigner with a proven track record to keep up the work that Wotte has started.

The signs are good so let's not throw it away by going for the cheap option.

This is a massive decision for Scottish football.

I know he's not the most popular guy on here but I think he's done some good work and this is a big loss.

has he really though? most of the talented kids coming through seem to have been found and brought on by the clubs. how have the SFA performance shcools helped with them? maybe I am missing stuff here and am just unaware of whats been done.

plus it seems we are still preaching hoofball at Largs so whats the freaking point of a fancy performance director if we dont try and change what we are doing. thankfully strachan is doing his best with the national team to play some decent stuff.

This is a strange one.

I don't think we'll know if Wotte has done a good job for at least another 3-5 years, once the development schools and other systems he helped put in place start producing players.

Even then, if results are good, how much of that was down to Wotte and how much was down to Henry McLeish's review?

Wotte says his work is now done - does that mean he thinks he doesn't need replaced?

This is the salient point, because, as you intimate, if his work is done, he surely doesn't need replaced.

The system produces the players without need for alteration.

If the SFA does decide to appoint someone else in the role, which I don't think they should, would they want to change things? Does that mean everything Wotte's done in the last 3 years is then undone?

Wotte says his work is now done - does that mean he thinks he doesn't need replaced?

I think it needs a figure head (maybe not someone as high profile) to over see it and keep a eye on it to make sure that it is ticking over ok, as danger is, if left to look after itself it could end up undo'ing all the good work that has been done.

When is the school of excellence at Heriot Watt Uni due to open?

Pardon my ignorance, but by what measurement has Wotte succeeded (or is succeeding)? Some people seem to be suggesting the signs are good but Im wondering what those signs are that they are referring to. I actually dont feel like there's been a significant turn around but maybe Im not seeing what others are.

Pardon my ignorance, but by what measurement has Wotte succeeded (or is succeeding)? Some people seem to be suggesting the signs are good but Im wondering what those signs are that they are referring to. I actually dont feel like there's been a significant turn around but maybe Im not seeing what others are.

His job was the kind of job that it was going to be his successor that will reap the benefits and we are probably still not that far yet.

Our youth teams seem to be in a healthier shape than ever these days, with what the success in the Victory Shield and doing well at the U17 finals..... you have the schools of excellence across the country.... you have the new performance school about to open in Edinburgh etc....

I think there has been a lot of behind the scenes work done, but we are not really seeing it yet and still a while away from seeing just how successful he was in starting this up.

His job was the kind of job that it was going to be his successor that will reap the benefits and we are probably still not that far yet.

Our youth teams seem to be in a healthier shape than ever these days, with what the success in the Victory Shield and doing well at the U17 finals..... you have the schools of excellence across the country.... you have the new performance school about to open in Edinburgh etc....

I think there has been a lot of behind the scenes work done, but we are not really seeing it yet and still a while away from seeing just how successful he was in starting this up.

Yeah, I guess thats my point. There are some infrastructure type improvements but Im certainly of the opinion that we are yet to see any real turnaround in terms of quality Scottish youngsters making it into the professional game which is really the first benchmark Im interested in. As you say, some time yet before we see the results of this.

When he first started he mentioned 2016/17 as being the first signs that things are improving and 2020 before we see the results reaching the first team, and I sure I read in one of his blogs earlier this summer that he felt we were 2 years ahead of scheduled in his opinion, so maybe he feels that the ground work is in place now and ready to hand over to someone else?