Scotland Players In Action - Page 18 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would be the preferred right back for ye guys on friday if all fit?

How serious was Bardsleys injury?

Only option left is Whittaker who plays for Norwich, or Russell Martin who can play RB too.

Hope Bardsley is fine though and today was just a wee strain... Fingers crossed.

Only option left is Whittaker who plays for Norwich, or Russell Martin who can play RB too.

Hope Bardsley is fine though and today was just a wee strain... Fingers crossed.

Cheers lad...prob wont cross my fingers though :wink2:

Ive alot of time for Bardsley as a player myself

Looks like wilson is a big doubt for us ....went off after 10 mins against spurs

McCarthy was hobbling when he made that clearance off the line, and Martinez said he was a concern, so he sounds a doubt to me.

Wilson pulled a hamstring according to Stoke twitter so no chance if true, and Bardsley holding groin as he was subbed, again can't see him recovering in time with an injury like that.

Have to stick up for the Irish boys here.

Coleman. As someone who watches Everton all the time I can honestly say think Hutton at his Italy best in 2007 and you are nearly there. He is a brilliant attacking fullback. Certainly no better in English prem league. Not many in the world.

Mcgeady. As much as I hate his descision to play for Ireland would be a first pick for us. He is better, considerably so, than any other wide player available to us.

McCarthy vs brown is actually a close one. Both cracking players. He is a real loss to our side but brown at his best would keep him out a Scotland side. I used to rage at his decision to play for Ireland but I've subsequently learnt a few things about the circumstances behind it, non SFA related. I am certain he actually wanted to play for us. He won't be "fit" for the game at parkhead. Mark my words.

Both players are sad loses to the Scottish international side and both would greatly improve the strength in our squad. No question.

McCarthy wanted to play for Scotland when the decision time came. For reasons outwith his control he couldn't. I think my post from before is going to be vindicated. It was an absolute stick on he would be injured.

McCarthy wanted to play for Scotland when the decision time came. For reasons outwith his control he couldn't. I think my post from before is going to be vindicated. It was an absolute stick on he would be injured.

So what happened? His twitter said last month after their Germany draw 'BringontheScots' which doesn't sound like he regrets his decision.

I know he comes deep to win the ball and hold it up. My point was that he isn't any better at doing that than a lot of our other strikers. His goals aside, he doesn't do much more. His workrate is far lower than Fletcher, Naismith, McCormack, Russell and Griffiths. Which is something Strachan expects.

I'm not saying he is a bad player, I'm just surprised Strachan favours him ahead of others

Fletcher and Naismith are already ahead of Martin, so clearly Strachan doesn't favour him ahead of everyone.

Russell plays on the left so it's not a valid comparison.

Griffiths isn't getting a game for Celtic so I don't know why you're surprised Martin is ahead of him.

McCormack is a fair comparison.

Both good on the ball, able to score goals, and good at bringing others into the game.

Where Martin is ahead is in his hold up play.

Saying McCormack has a far higher work rate is bizarre though - the reason McCormack isn't in the squad is because he started the season unable to play 90 minutes. It's only in the last 2-3 weeks that McCormack has started to show what he's capable of. If he keeps it up he's bound to be in the next squad.

McCarthy was hobbling when he made that clearance off the line, and Martinez said he was a concern, so he sounds a doubt to me.

Wilson pulled a hamstring according to Stoke twitter so no chance if true, and Bardsley holding groin as he was subbed, again can't see him recovering in time with an injury like that.

Looks like wilson is a big doubt for us ....went off after 10 mins against spurs

Irelands best players are McCarthy, Coleman, Wilson, and Whelan, and Keane.

It would be a big blow for them if two of them were out.

I'd be happy about McCarthy being out, he is a good player.

Also, wouldn't want Broony to be tempted to leather him early on and get himself sent off.

Still don't get all this nonsense about how he had to pick Ireland though, if he had bided his time he would have been selected for his real country eventually.

I'd be happy about McCarthy being out, he is a good player.

Also, wouldn't want Broony to be tempted to leather him early on and get himself sent off.

Still don't get all this nonsense about how he had to pick Ireland though, if he had bided his time he would have been selected for his real country eventually.

What's done is done. He's with Ireland now, there's nothing we can do about it. It's time to move on.

One crumb of comfort is that the dinosaur Ross Mathie, who didn't rate McCarthy as good enough for our youth teams, is gone.

Anyone able to shed any light on the McCarthy reasons? Anyone remember a sky interview with his mate mccarthur after we beat NI in Dublin 2011 - am sure there was rumours McCarthy was going to jump back and mccarthur was a bit shady about the whole thing and it looked like there was something in it

Anyone able to shed any light on the McCarthy reasons? Anyone remember a sky interview with his mate mccarthur after we beat NI in Dublin 2011 - am sure there was rumours McCarthy was going to jump back and mccarthur was a bit shady about the whole thing and it looked like there was something in it

Yeah. When we were over for our game vs NI in the Nations Cup all the Irish press were reporting that McCarthy was set to switch to Scotland.

Roberto Martinez commented on it too.

Mostly when players are booed they know it's because the other fans rate them or they are a big name and they don't let it get to them. However on this occasion a young player being booed by his own country as a traitor might just get to him. so if he plays I will boo him as loudly as I can.

• 2 weeks later...