Boycott The Qatar Game - Page 2 - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Boycott The Qatar Game

Lawnmower

Normally I am big on keeping sport and politics apart. Sport can help to break down barriers, reduce prejudice and increase understanding and inclusion. But this is not an issue about politics. This is a sporting issue.

Over 1000 people have died building stadia in a country that we are playing a match against. The Qatari FA must shoulder some of the blame for this and here we are inviting them into our house as guests.

It is wrong and I will have nothing to do with it.

I don't normally think that politics and football should be mixed except in exceptional circumstances. However, this isn't simply a political issue, people have died building football stadia to host the football world cup. This isn't some issue that can be easily separated.

Think about previous football loss of life - Heysel, Ibrox, Hillsborough, Munich Air Crash, Phil O'Donnell etc etc. In these instances football fans are the first to show sympathy and messages of support to the victims yet here we're happy to have willing participants (Qatar FA) to the lack of health and safety for the construction of stadia in Easter Road and do feck all about it?

This is the perfect chance to highlight this issue, maybe not a boycott but some sort of message and if every opponent that Qatar face between now and then does something then surely standards have to improve?

Glass houses and stones.

There might be countries out there who might want to boycott us because of what goes on at Dungavel Prison.

Not remotely related to football but if they did, that's their prerogative. I'm just surprised and disappointed at the amount of folk here who couldn't give a flying feck that so many folk are dying building football stadia.

Corruption, bribery and money is one thing but loss of human lives in the name of football.....are we really happy to accept our SFA's future partnership with Qatar?

I agree on the boycotts are nonsense thing as sport should be kept separate but the thing that annoys me is it is another example of the complete fannies at the sfa.

Please explain to me how you can separate the issue of the SFA agreeing that we should play Qatar and enter into an agreement to provide coaching and training to the Qatari FA from the deaths of hundreds of worker building football stadia for the Qatari FA?

I suppose it's not as if the actions of developed football nations (ha-ha) such as Scotland have no effect on the actions of less developed football nations. /endsarcasm