Kraków - Page 2 - Poland v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kraków

wheres the pies

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Krakow with the wife this time last year.

We also done the Auscwitz / salt mine tour in one day. We didn't enjoy the salt mine tour but Auscwitz was an amazing experience and highly recommend.

Another touristy attraction I recommend would be the free walking tour. They leave from the front of the church in the main square and you tip the guide at the end of the tour. We gave the guide 20 zl, about 4 quid.

http://freewalkingtour.com//

Wwww.krakow direct.com

The bottom link is for the Auscwitz tour. They were excellent. They also do airport pick ups.

Cheers for this.

Taking into consideration that the Irish are playing at the same time as us on Saturday, and this is an 'Irish' bar, then what would the chances be that the Scotland game will actually be shown?

They've got 2 telly's with Sky so there's a wee chance. I'll stick a message on their Facebook and let you know.

I'm needing to stay in Katowice due to a birthday party unfortunately or I'd join the pre-party in Krakow. Poland v Germany on right after our game, too.

we are heading across on the Wednesday morning and then on the ryanair flight back to edinburgh as well late on Thursday

interested in doing the Auschwitz tour, anyone know a good place to book it through and how long it takes?

I was there the other week and it took around 4hrs. You can turn up and just pay at the door. Cost 40zł. You'll pay roughly double that if you choose a tour from Krakow as they bus you there and back. The 'tour guide' doesn't do much touring or guiding. He or she will likely wait outside for you in Auschwitz then come to Birkenau as that's free to get in to.

It's probably advisable to book a tour as it's around 40km from Krakow. You could do it on public transport.

Krakov is a fine place. Far more touristy than Warsaw and the centre is stunning. The kinda place you would take the Mrs for the weekend or the burd if the Mrs was busy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However Warsaw was excellent in March and more than happy to return. Its nowhere near as nice on the eye, but thats fair enough considering it was a pile of rubble 60 years ago.

Was hoping the game would be in Gdansk. Never been and heard some really good things about it.

Krakov is a fine place. Far more touristy than Warsaw and the centre is stunning. The kinda place you would take the Mrs for the weekend or the burd if the Mrs was busy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been trying to get my Mrs to go for years, but zero interest..... but I just know it will be the same as Prague, which she also had zero interest in go to until I showed her my photos from the 2010 game, and each year she keeps dropping hints about going back again :-)) (having been twice since)

Edited by wanderer

I'm flying up to Krakow on the Wednesday lunchtime from Warsaw, then flying home on the Friday night. I've booked an Auschwitz tour on the Thursday, and am planning to spend most of Friday wandering the city.

What would folk say is the best way to see the main sights in a fairly short period of time? I saw there's a free walking tour, but don't know how long it takes; and I also noticed there's the usual hop-on/hop-off buses. Any suggestions?

They've got 2 telly's with Sky so there's a wee chance. I'll stick a message on their Facebook and let you know.

I'm needing to stay in Katowice due to a birthday party unfortunately or I'd join the pre-party in Krakow. Poland v Germany on right after our game, too.

I was there the other week and it took around 4hrs. You can turn up and just pay at the door. Cost 40zł. You'll pay roughly double that if you choose a tour from Krakow as they bus you there and back. The 'tour guide' doesn't do much touring or guiding. He or she will likely wait outside for you in Auschwitz then come to Birkenau as that's free to get in to.

It's probably advisable to book a tour as it's around 40km from Krakow. You could do it on public transport.

cheers

thats us booked a tour for thursday morning

I'm flying up to Krakow on the Wednesday lunchtime from Warsaw, then flying home on the Friday night. I've booked an Auschwitz tour on the Thursday, and am planning to spend most of Friday wandering the city.

Wednesday afternoon I am doing the Crazyguided Krakow guided tour of the communist side of the city.

Everyone keeps going on about the Cruising Cracow bike tour as the best way to see the whole city and I am booked to go on that this Sunday after landing and checking into my hotel.

Staying in Kraków for 4 nights after the game can you recommend any decent bars or restaurants

The old town square and all the side streets off the square are full of pubs and restaurants. Many of them are down in cellars and you would never find them if your not looking for signs. Balaton Hungarian restaurant on Grodzka (off the south east of the square) does the best Goulash soup I've ever had outside of Hungary. It's a meal in itself and great when hungover.

Edited by Jagtag

The old town square and all the side streets off the square are full of pubs and restaurants. Many of them are down in cellars and you would never find them if your not looking for signs. Balaton Hungarian restaurant on Grodzka (off the south east of the square) does the best Goulash soup I've ever had outside of Hungary. It's a meal in itself and great when hungover.

Cheers for that will pay a wee visit there sounds good

Staying in Kraków for 4 nights after the game can you recommend any decent bars or restaurants

First time in Krakow (bar a very brief passing through on route to Ukraine once) but been recommended a fair amount of places by people who have visited (do not have list to hand)

Anybody know if there is a bar that will show our Georgia game on Saturday?

I arrive on Saturday, and up to Warsaw on Monday. Probably do Saltmine on Sunday.

I was in Kraków for a week this time last year and there's loads of bars where you can watch live Sky Games so don't worry?

Most post it outside just like here, I wish I was going again now tbh :(

Edited by Argentina78

Cheers jagtag for the recommendation as to regards balaton hungerian restaurant in Kraków don't think I've ever had bigger portions of food the goulash is a meal in its self had 3 courses l know I am a big lad lol it was so cheap had 3 classes of wine and a pint all in for 102 zlotys about £20 going back tonight once again many thanks