Mayweather V Pacquiao Confirmed - Page 3 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mayweather V Pacquiao Confirmed

vanderark14

Folk forget the Leonard vs Duran 3 fight and Hagler vs Leonard one. They were shit too, it's what's happens when you fight when you're ancient in boxing years.

Ray Robinson was 40-0 fought Jake Lamotta giving away 16 lb's in weight and lost the decision, 3 week later he fought him again and won, he also had a tune up fight in between the two Lamotta bouts. In both bouts Robinson was floored heavily.

the sport is just completely different animal these days. There is a case that Hagler was just coming out of his prime years when he won the belt. Duran stepping up 2 divisions to beat Leonard was crazy as well. Although Aaron Pryor was at light welterweight and no one really wanted to fight him.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd guess not as 'shit' as this one though. It was sleep-inducing.

I thought it was interesting for the first few rounds, but then once you realised pacman had nothing (i heard he had a ####ed right shoulder) it became a case of Mayweather picking him off and playing it safe.

On another forum I frequent people enjoy creaming themselves over Mayweather. I have said I see all-time greats as aggressive boxers who like to attack and that just isn't Mayweather to which the counter is that well they are mental vegetables now whilst Mayweather remains unmarked. They think my stance is my only interest in boxing is seeing people getting beaten up - well isn't that what the sport is primarily about?

On another forum I frequent people enjoy creaming themselves over Mayweather. I have said I see all-time greats as aggressive boxers who like to attack and that just isn't Mayweather to which the counter is that well they are mental vegetables now whilst Mayweather remains unmarked. They think my stance is my only interest in boxing is seeing people getting beaten up - well isn't that what the sport is primarily about?

To me it is. I think to the purists it's quite the opposite. I can understand why he is regarded as the best ever. I don't agree myself Snd the fact he is an utter bell end probably doesn't help.

People don't mention it much, possibly due to the tragic end to the fight, but the first round of Benn v McLellan was like no other IMO. I've still no idea how Benn was standing at the end of that three minutes.

People don't mention it much, possibly due to the tragic end to the fight, but the first round of Benn v McLellan was like no other IMO. I've still no idea how Benn was standing at the end of that three minutes.

I don't think he was, he got knocked right out the ring :yikes3: , also Frank Bruno at ringside shouting like feck.

Cant believe the shite folk lap up now like it was caviar. Mayweather... he is everything that is wrong with boxing. The greatest ever, I'd not even have in my top 50. He is the greatest non fighter to have have ever not boxed I'll give you that. There was more action in the 1st round of Hagler Hearns than I saw during every fight of mayweathers career combined. Although I admit stopped watching the boring fraud a long time ago. The way he gets lauded makes me boak. It is the reason boxing has become a second rate sport and MMA etc will take over.

ps

Watch Ali's hands during that, they never leave the ropes, incredible.

My all time favourite to watch growing up was Tommy Hearns. A real Hit Man a brilliant fighter to watch. Maybe not the most technically brilliant but my 80's school kid definition of the ultimate 'boxer'. Fists like cocked pistols.

Watching Hagler destroy him nearly destroyed me.

So then when Sugar Ray beat Hagler that for me was the greatest fight I had (and have) ever seen (so far). He looked so small versus Hagler that night, so puny. I was convinced after seeing Hearns bullied he would be smashed. It was an extraordinary performance. Then when the US scene was not on we had that golden era of UK boxing. It is total and complete shit now. Grim.

Another thing wrong about boxing - many of the big fights are pay-per-view. And if you pay £20 (like I did) on the promises of 'the fight of the century' to watch it and you get dealt such a crap fight then tough crap as far as those making money out of it are concerned. The same goes for the seats in arena for that Mayweather fight - cheapest was $7000. I am sorry but that is scandalous considering the drivel on show.

• 1 month later...

m.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/33418239

No big surprise. The headline is totally misleading as in that he fully expected and accepted this was going to happen and in any case he is quitting after one more fight against another fighter who has been carefully chosen and is certainly no big eye-catching name as he promised.