Grand National Thread - Page 5 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Grand National Thread

washboarder

Hmm old people's homes you mean? Well there is an example UI hadn't thought of. Why are there so many around the country when those people could be living at home with family? Is it because they are not loved? Of course not. Circumstances put them where they are just like if horse racing was abolished a number of loved race horses would be a victim of circumstance. As for families and foetuses it does happen and cannot be denied.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm old people's homes you mean? Well there is an example UI hadn't thought of. Why are there so many around the country when those people could be living at home with family? Is it because they are not loved? Of course not. Circumstances put them where they are just like if horse racing was abolished a number of loved race horses would be a victim of circumstance. As for families and foetuses it does happen and cannot be denied.

i can't answer the question it never occurred to me to put my gran in an old folks home,i guess it just different ways of doing things.

i can't answer the question it never occurred to me to put my gran in an old folks home,i guess it just different ways of doing things.

Precisely, as would be the way for horses. Some owners (wealthy ones) would no doubt keep their horses as many do even once the horse has retired but those without the money to pay for their upkeep couldn't - doesn't mean the horses aren't loved just as old people in homes are not there because they aren't loved.

Anyone who says the horses ware "treated like royalty" is clearly spinning. Funny how they are so loved, cherished and treated like superstars, but if you remove racing their owners would let them fall into neglect... i thought they were loved and cherished?

Why would the folk who "loved and cherished" them suddenly allow "we'd be seeing these horses rotting in a dishevelled field unkept and on an advert appealing for aid for animals"

http://thehorsecomesfirst.com/ask-the-vet

The link isnt in direct response to your post - just putting it out there for info

I think your post is important as it is clear that if jump racing was banned then there would be thousands of horses euthanised which is something to take into consideration

I totally empathise with those that want the Grand National banned and wouldnt argue against them but similarly i wouldnt argue against anyone that supports a "safe as it possibly can be" National

The name of the breed i think escapes folk sometimes . They are racehorses and that is what they are bred and trained to be.

Scouse Eddie I will only address your original point and give you some facts to chew over as you sound like an animal rights activist.

First, as someone else has pointed out those race horses are treated like royalty - they are loved, cherished and treated like superstars by their owners, trainers, stable lads and everyone connected with them. Evidence of that was winning trainer Oliver Sherwood yesterday who was concerned more for the well-being of his horse rather than doing a post-race winner's interview. Second, these horses and the thousands of other race horses involved in the sport - if horse racing was banned are you honestly trying to tell me they'd have as good a life as they have now? Of course bloody not so think on. No horse racing, no real ownership, no trainers, no trainers stables, no stable lads and lasses and so I'd grant you we'd be seeing these horses rotting in a dishevelled field unkept and on an advert appealing for aid for animals. And so on to those self-righteous do-gooder the animal rights activists - they got their way meddling with the fences at Aintree but they have made the race statistically more dangerous by their meddling so they are actually worse than those in the sport themselves.

Craig

In years gone by yes i may have been an animal rights activist stopping / sabbing fox hunts and also have a claim to fame of delaying the last ever Waterloo Cup to be staged, that is hare coursing to those who don't know.

I eat most meats so not a vegan etc.

My wifes sister lives on a farm and has loads of horses mainly highlands and competes in shows and won at Olympia a couple of years ago, maybe if her horses misbehave then they get a slap, i have a german shepherd and training in personal protection, if he misbehaves then he gets corrected.

Some pets need correcting every now and then and i love my dog.

The point about horse racing and especially the grand national is the punishment these horses get every single race, they may get the best food well groomed and have a nice stable, but every single race they are getting whipped.to push them that extra step for what money for their trainer and owner.

My stance against animal cruelty is not at the level of standing outside Aintree waving a placard, but would be quite happy if the whips were taking away.

The point about horse racing and especially the grand national is the punishment these horses get every single race, they may get the best food well groomed and have a nice stable, but every single race they are getting whipped.to push them that extra step for what money for their trainer and owner.

My stance against animal cruelty is not at the level of standing outside Aintree waving a placard, but would be quite happy if the whips were taking away.

I have no like of whips either Eddie but today's racing is a million miles away from what it was a few years ago.

Firstly there are now whip rules. In UK Flat racing a Jockey is only allowed to use it 7 times and in UK jump racing 8

Therefore implying that a horse is "punished" for the entirety of a race is disengenuous

Secondly the actual whip used has now changed and it is more akin to a bit of foam rubber rather than the hard leather used in the past

The days of horses being marked by the severity of a whip stroke are gone and rightly so

However i would be glad to see it totally banned and only used for steering purposes

Edited by Ally Bongo

http://thehorsecomesfirst.com/ask-the-vet

The link isnt in direct response to your post - just putting it out there for info

I think your post is important as it is clear that if jump racing was banned then there would be thousands of horses euthanised which is something to take into consideration

I totally empathise with those that want the Grand National banned and wouldnt argue against them but similarly i wouldnt argue against anyone that supports a "safe as it possibly can be" National

The name of the breed i think escapes folk sometimes . They are racehorses and that is what they are bred and trained to be.

Cheers for the link, doping up and whipping are covered (i went and read the full statement) by the guy , as i say i stamp on spiders so i kill animals as opposed to just ride them round a track. I also expect people to farm them for their meat so i can eat it.

I would also guess animal rights activists are television and film fans who don't bother that horses are used in that form of entertainment in dangerous scenes and evidently (going by that link) the horses don't get the same treatment from vets etc.

I'm not an activist i kill certain animals on sight, i don't watch TV or Films though, and just about everyone on the board is bored of me always saying that, so i thank you for the opportunity to state it again. :ok:

I would also guess animal rights activists are television and film fans who don't bother that horses are used in that form of entertainment in dangerous scenes and evidently (going by that link) the horses don't get the same treatment from vets etc.

I don't drink PG Tips if that is what your asking. :ok:

Don't like animals used for entertainment like a circus or as above the PG tips advert with the chimps.

Will open a can of worms here " excuse the pun " but would ban all animal experiments used to assist the cosmetic industry, and would rather use humans than animals for medical research.

Not all humans just the ones that are not welcome into society and cost the tax payer a fortune to feed and water and provide a bed, child killers, peodophiles most muderers and, even the odd Scouser if he fits the bill...

I don't drink PG Tips if that is what your asking. :ok:

Don't like animals used for entertainment like a circus or as above the PG tips advert with the chimps.

Will open a can of worms here " excuse the pun " but would ban all animal experiments used to assist the cosmetic industry, and would rather use humans than animals for medical research.

Not all humans just the ones that are not welcome into society and cost the tax payer a fortune to feed and water and provide a bed, child killers, peodophiles most muderers and, even the odd Scouser if he fits the bill...

:rollsmile: Nice one.