The Flow Of People To Yes - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Flow Of People To Yes

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remain highly doubtful that a Yes vote will happen, but there is certainly momentum in that direction. There is a guy at my work who is in many ways an archetypal 'No' man. From Harthill, season ticket at Ibrox, plays in a 'Band', goes over to Belfast every 12th of July. Having watched the debate last week, he said to me 'Ach, I'm on the fence now, thinking of voting Yes'. I was speechless. Only one individual of course, but if guys like this are seriously considering it, then anything is possible.

Edited by Pool Q

I remain highly doubtful that a Yes vote will happen, but there is certainly momentum in that direction. There is a guy at my work who is in many ways an archetypal 'No' man. From Harthill, season ticket at Ibrox, plays in a 'Band', goes over to Belfast every 12th of July. Having watched the debate last week, he said to me 'Ach, I'm on the fence now, thinking of voting Yes'. I was speechless. Only one individual of course, but if guys like this are seriously considering it, then anything is possible.

Guy in my work is similar, only he is a definite yes!

Was up in Scotland at the weekend taking my daughter back from Aberdeen Uni down to her mum's in Newcastle. All th way from Glasgow-Perth-Aberdeen-Dundee-Edinburgh to just short of Berwick was fantastic seeing YES signs either on bridges or at side of road. Just one NO sign in a field.

My old man doesn't give much away politically - but from a stance of previously winding me up and potentially voting NO - strangely enough he no longer has the appetite to spout any NO shyte - seems to have come over from the dark side.

Last year it was only my brother and I who were yes, both of us live in England so don't have a vote. Both sisters, brother -in-law, mum, dad and stepdad were all firmly in the no camp. My brother and I have been working on them and one by one they have all came round to Yes with the exception of my brother-in-law. Then this morning we have this on facebook.

"The big boat finally turned. From a massive no to a yes. Once I got my head round the fact there is a chance I may be slightly financially worse off it was really easy. A wee gamble, a bit like anyone that had the balls to start their own business or leave a comfy secure job. It will be hard and could be financially tough but I'm fed up as it is and the rewards could be epic. If we all work hard, look after the needy and ridicule the lazy we will be fine. Somebody said to me many years ago the country is going down the pan and if they were me they would move abroad. They were right. I feel this is a last ditch effort to get Scotland back on track. Your a long time deed. Will what if haunt you."

2 guys I know were both NOs, then did a fair bit of reading and now both strong YES, so much so they share the majority of posts re Indy on FB and Twitter now.

My kids' high school had a mock poll in April of those eligible to vote and it was 70% No which was depressing, but not surprising as I believe East Lothian is polling one of the lowest Yes returns. Daughter is in 6th year and said that since returning after summer hols there has been a significant swing to Yes. They were on Sky News this morning, was hoping they'd do another poll but sadly not. I've seen several similar posts on Twitter about schools across the country, here's hoping the parents are doing the same!

if an indy Scotland is going to be shite, a Scotland in the UK will also be shite so he'd rather have a Scottish parliament making it shite than Westminster making it shite.

If enough people think that...

Edited by exile

One of my nemesis on face book has just had a statement on saying he is more than likely to vote yes, i knew this was coming but no one else can believe it as their pages would always be full of us debating back and for about independence.i could say at least 5 freinds have gone from vocal no's to yes which seems to be the trend

6 months ago my brother was a hard No...one of these Shetland nutters who think they should keep their own oil, hates Salmond etc etc.

This morning he e-mailed me to say he was now a member of 'Teachers for Yes'. He just couldn't bring himself to vote against Scotland.

He's working on his missus, who's a ditherer.... :wink2:

6 months ago my brother was a hard No...one of these Shetland nutters who think they should keep their own oil, hates Salmond etc etc.

This morning he e-mailed me to say he was now a member of 'Teachers for Yes'. He just couldn't bring himself to vote against Scotland.

He's working on his missus, who's a ditherer.... :wink2:

Fairly sure, under international law, a vast majority of the oil would still be in Scottish waters and not Shetland waters anyway!

My wee sister used to post up stuff like she would leave Scotland if the SNP ever got into power, I don't exactly discuss politics with her but I didn't realise she'd changed her mind until tonight when she put a post on facebook. She works in the nhs but tbh I'm not sure why the change of heart, just glad she's jumped the dyke. Now hoping her English husband can do the same!

Edited by neilly71

My father-in-law has just told me tonight he is voting yes.

He was about as strong a no as you get, and has been banging on for the last 6 months about the 'pie in the sky' yes campaign.

He has been following the whole story about this young Ashya kid and he has just had enough.

It's a bit of a strange reason to go from no to yes, but it's really struck a chord with him I think.

My sister-in-law (his daughter) also changed to yes last week after reading the wee blue book.

I've changed from no to yes. My reasoning:I have always thought we could go it alone, but some if the SNP manifesto is pie in the sky, which drove me down the no route. Until I thought"this isn't the SNP referendum, it's my country's. I think I would regret voting no in years to come.

A year ago at Ibrox you would have 90% singing songs about hating Alex Salmond. Now you can spot the people clapping along and their in a distinct minority. When that banner went up on Saturday it got a pretty muted response - don't get me wrong some people cheered but the no badges seemed to be predominantly on folk that looked like they came from a casting call for skinhead or thug. And No leaflets were getting chucked in the bin in quite impressive numbers pre match.

The hard core will never change but I see far more people at the stadium who appear to be either Yes or undecided and if the reaction on Saturday is anything to go by, then the traditional heartland of No is truly buckling!

Will be fascinating going to the game on the Tuesday of the referendum week!

TT

TT

Lassie in the pub tonight told me she was No/undecided before going to see Salmond in Perth tonight, now a yes!

Salmond is a very good politician, like him or not, and would be able to convince people to vote yes with a clear concise argument.

We. Will. Win. This.

Ally Mccoist a Yes man I believe or is it a bad rumour ?

I don't know the truth of this - but I would be very wary of any graphic you see of Ally declaring his support for Yes.

Just try to search for the source of what he says and see what you can come up with.