Vilnius - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Vilnius

bunnet

Lovely girls, but as Mrs Bunnet is going, that won't interest you.

I would highly recommend a visit to the KGB Museum.

One of the best tie shops I've ever seen.

Bevvy reasonable.

Nice old town.

I found them to have a bampot element, but maybe that was just because the fitba was on.

If you've nae been, I would definitely say go, especially if it's only 50 brick.

Id have to say quite an ordinary city. Arrivving at the station from the airport - it was like going back in time with the fashions and trolleybuses round the place. Pub I was in was great but not a place Id pick to go for a weekend without the football.

My first visit was in '97 en route to Minsk - loved it then - been back a few times since but I enjoyed it less each time as it became more Westernised.

I can only echo Flora - the Old Town is terrific and has a great atmosphere about the place - I also found the KGB museum fascinating (although chilling at the same time). I'd say it's worth a visit but a couple (three at most) of nights will be enough - if the flights are 50 quid return I say go for it (especially when you won't exactly be burning through cash when you get there).

Guy called Sasha, looked a bit like Darius Danesh. We bumped in to him about a dozen times over the weekend and every time his opening line was "Haaay, Shcotland boys, you like pussy?" In the end it was easier to just let him take us to a strip club than spending 3/4s of an hour explaining that yes we did like pussy but didn't want any at that exact moment!!

That aside it is a beautiful city though. It may have had a leg up though once we seen the Soviet, industrial bleakness of Kaunus!!

That aside it is a beautiful city though. It may have had a leg up though once we seen the Soviet, industrial bleakness of Kaunus!!

Kaunus I was shocked how scrubbed up it was at the last game..... 2003 was enough to put me off going for life, and only went to the last game because I found a cracking flight that could get me a full night in Berlin and in for early match day.

Completely different city now, and the old town was actually really nice (locals said it was a result of the city getting the spill off from Vilnius getting European City of Culture at the time)..... but if visiting Vilnius (which I did for the first time for a day trip at the last game, and now kicking myself for missing out on) would not bother with Kaunus, as it would be like visiting Glasgow and going out of your way to visit Irvine or something.

Guy called Sasha, looked a bit like Darius Danesh. We bumped in to him about a dozen times over the weekend and every time his opening line was "Haaay, Shcotland boys, you like pussy?" In the end it was easier to just let him take us to a strip club than spending 3/4s of an hour explaining that yes we did like pussy but didn't want any at that exact moment!!

Are you sure this wasn't Amsterdam :lol:?

• 2 weeks later...

Horrendous. Terrible beer, terrible vodka! Nice wee walks if the weathers decent but defo way down on my list of places to go back to.

Aye, the beer is loupin. Had my first taste and immediately switched to Pear Cider.

J

Guest faircity

Aye, the beer is loupin. Had my first taste and immediately switched to Pear Cider.

J

If you can find a bar that sells Kalnapilis then your onto a winner, particularly their pils. Sadly, though, Svyturus is the most common and its not great.