Major League Baseball - Page 2 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Major League Baseball

TartanTeddy

I didn't think it was surprising that he was DFA, he completely earned it, what was surprising was how early it was done.

Ishikawa DFA today too.

As I saw written a couple of days ago, this shows that Bobby Evans is definitely the GM now. The days of Sabean giving veteran players more than their fare share of time are gone.

On a happier note, the team has really come on to a game in the last month and are looking more like reigning champions.

McGehee DFA'd again! Doubt he'll stay in the organisation this time.

Duffy's doing a great job. Playing solid 3rd base and has more HRs and RBIs than Sandoval has at Boston.

Interesting times ahead with the starting pitching. Cain and Peavy ready to come back and both slated for starts in the next few days. Lincecum will go on the DL after getting hit on the arm in his last start to allow Cain a place on the roster. Not sure what they'll do to get Peavy in.

Looks like Hudson's going on the DL also, Jim, creating space for Peavy.

Nothing serious apparently, just needs the rest. The guy is 40 after all.

McGehee's definitely away this time. Giants are looking for another team to take him on and give him more playing time. Unfortunately the vast majority of his salary remains on SF payroll.

Completely agree about Duffy. Doing sterling work.

Part of a completely home grown infield also.

They're plugging away nicely considering the amount of time Pence, Cain and Peavy have been missing, and also now they've lost Aoki for a considerable time.

I can see a couple of trades happening before the deadline, though. Perhaps another experienced back-up outfielder and maybe another bullpen arm.

• 3 months later...

Love the baseball. Been a huge Giants fan since the mid 80s so the last few years have been fun. However, it's an odd year so will probably miss the play offs this season. A lot will depend on how successfully McGahee replaces Sandoval and how Cain pitches on his return from elbow surgery. Need to get Angel Pagan fit too.

It's always difficult to make predictions before the season, but I'll stick my neck out and pick Washington and Boston for the World Series.

Well that was a woeful prediction. Nats and Red Sox both nowhere near the play offs. Giants did look like they might get there until injuries decimated them the last couple of months of the season. In the end they did well to push the Dodgers to the last week before they clinched the division.

Went to a Yankees v Blue Jays game when I was in New York a couple of weeks ago. First time I've been to a game and was a great experience. Helped that it was an amazing game. 5-5 after 9 innings with all 10 runs scored on 7 home runs before Toronto scored 4 in the 11th despite getting only a single hit in the inning. Yankees pitchers imploded and walked 5 and hit another batter! The home fans weren't impressed. Only minus on the day was the $16 beer!

Would love to see the Cubs win it all now. Arrieta's been the best pitcher in the game since the All Star break. 0.7 ERA or something ridiculous like that over his last 20 starts. Probably means he'll have a shocker in the wild card game in Pittsburgh tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw them earlier in the year when I was over, building a good team - maybe they'll break the curse...

They'll need some more pitching if they want to break the curse.

Arrieta's been amazing this season and Lester will always be above average, but they need some more depth in the rotation.

Their young bats are great and will continue to be so for the next few years, but pitching wins championships.

A fact proven by the relative ease with which the Mets, and their seemingly endless supply of brilliant young pitchers, seem to be ending the Cubs season sooner rather than later.

They'll need some more pitching if they want to break the curse.

Arrieta's been amazing this season and Lester will always be above average, but they need some more depth in the rotation.

Their young bats are great and will continue to be so for the next few years, but pitching wins championships.

A fact proven by the relative ease with which the Mets, and their seemingly endless supply of brilliant young pitchers, seem to be ending the Cubs season sooner rather than later.

Yeah they need a couple more starters in the rotation. Think the relief pitching is ok, but a couple of guys who can start twenty games win more than they lose would be nice!