Wimbledon 2015 - Page 2 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wimbledon 2015

Fairbairn

Kukushkin is no mug (ranked just outside the top 50) and is a hard and flat hitter which are the type of players who have a habit of causing Andy problems. I'd say his tactics he used were to negate Kukushkin's strengths and so didn't allow the aggressive side of Andy's game to shine which was a shame - still it got the job done. Andy's game is so strong there were probably several ways he could have played to win that match yesterday but in order to win Wimbledon he'll need a lot of aggression.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Murray about to get his 2nd Round match V Robin Haase underway. This could be troublesome and if Murray gets this done in straight sets he will have done well. Haase is decent on grass and has troubled Andy in past matches as well (beating him once and losing in 4 and 5 sets in the US Open in recent years). Aggression is needed by Andy here.

Murray wins 6-1 6-1 6-4. A better performance than Round 1 but still some way to go. Haase very disappointing - I was expecting much more from him.

I'll pass judgement when I watch it later tonight but what more are you wanting from him just now. Seems to me a comfortable performance and doing what is needed at this stage of the tournament.

I'll pass judgement when I watch it later tonight but what more are you wanting from him just now. Seems to me a comfortable performance and doing what is needed at this stage of the tournament.

More aggression. That is absolute key. It is okay sitting and waiting for errors from early round opponents but he'll need a far more aggressive mindset and attacking array of shots to beat Nadal, Federer and Djokovic. I'd prefer him bringing that aggressive game NOW. Aggressive tennis is not something you can tirn on and off like a light switch you need to get in the groove of playing it before it starts falling into place and so far he's not been afggressive and that worries me for the bigger matches that lie ahead. That aside - job done with minimum fuss.

Murray wins 6-1, 6-1, 6-4 and it's not good enough.

Jeezo. Some folk are mental :lol:

Where did I say it wasn't good enough? I did not.

Look Murray is second favourite for the title and in with a real shot of winning it. However, he won't win it being too passive and sitting back waiting for errors from his opponents as there are too many players now who will blow you off the court. He needs aggressive play which we haven't seen so far. And believe you me it is not easy to just switch on an aggressive game style. It is akin to a team heading into a European tie set up to play defensively and not concede and when they do concede it is well nigh impossible to transform into an attack-minded side at the drop of a hat. The same applies here to Murray. Play passively and he won't be winning Wimbledon. Aggression is key.