Golfers Forum. - Page 17 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

Cored? Early August, surely nae? Maybe they aren't corred but just tyned or scarified a little.....

Aye mate and dressed. The course is notoriously bad for water. The greens weren't bad today, but very bumpy. Holing from 6' plus was a bit of a lottery.

82 blows. Struck it well enough. 38 putts though which included 6 x 3 putts.

Can't be too disappointed with that. Cracking day for it and only my 3rd game since September last year.

Edited by Angus_Young

Must've been in the air today - I set aboot a tree with a 4-iron.

A few years back i was playing with 2 pals Jim and Dave. After one too many shit shots, Dave just lost it and hurled his 6 iron into the trees. Quick as a flash Jim reached into Dave's bag, took out a club and handed it to Dave saying "You might want to throw a provisional club in case you can't find the first one". The second club ended up in the trees as well. I thought he was going to empty the whole bag. :lol:

Aye mate and dressed. The course is notoriously bad for water. The greens weren't bad today, but very bumpy. Holing from 6' plus was a bit of a lottery.

82 blows. Struck it well enough. 38 putts though which included 6 x 3 putts.

Can't be too disappointed with that. Cracking day for it and only my 3rd game since September last year.

Crikey - that's a short season for those members! 82 blows is decent with that many putts.

Purchased something I never thought I'd see again - a 2 iron. Great for links courses in the wind. Low, straight (slight right to left ball flight) and goes further than driver into the dod. Had to bin a wedge to make room though.

The above got me to thinking, what does everyone else have in their bag? (I appreciate some answers will be, whatever it was my wife bought me for Xmas or whatever I find in the garage)

I have:

10.5 SLDR TP Matrix 48 gram Stiff

RBZ TP 3 Wood, Matrix Stiff

RBZ TP Hydrid 4, Stiff

UDI 2 Iron, Tour Shaft, stiff (Taylormade)

4-W MC TP, KBS stiff (Taylormade)

52 Wedge, EF groove, wedge shaft (Taylormade)

58 Wedge, EF groove, wedge shaft (Taylormade)

Scotty Cameron Newport 34"

Titleist 910 10.5 (set down to 9.75), aldila red eyes (stiff) - back in the bag as my SLDR with matrix black tie shaft was a dog

TaylorMade Burner 2.0 3 and 5 woods, (reg)

Mizuno MPK 20 degree hybrid (reg)

4-PW Mizuno MP 63 (stiff)

Mizuno 52 and 56 MP-T5 wedges

Odyssey versa works 1 with superstroke slim 3.0 grip

Edited by wee-toon-red

Cobra Amp Cell Driver (set at 11.5)

Cobra Amp Cell S 3 & 4 H

Ping G15 5I - PW

Titleist 60 Vokey wedge

Cleveland Milled Putter

Whitecraigs also had its greens cored last week, having been deluged with water over the summer, getting intolerable in Early August. Shame.

Any thoughts on the benefits of fitting fat grips on putters? Is it a benefit, or an "all in the head" fad?

Cobra Amp Cell Driver (set at 11.5)

Cobra Amp Cell S 3 & 4 H

Ping G15 5I - PW

Titleist 60 Vokey wedge

Cleveland Milled Putter

Whitecraigs also had its greens cored last week, having been deluged with water over the summer, getting intolerable in Early August. Shame.

Any thoughts on the benefits of fitting fat grips on putters? Is it a benefit, or an "all in the head" fad?

Appreantly, people with long thin fingers should use the standard "thin" putter grips. Folk with shorter, fatter fingers should be looking at the bigger grips. I always thought it was the other way round but hey ho. Some folk will also suggest that if you have a wristy putting stroke that fat grips help reduce this.

However, I reckon it's a comfort/feel thing - go with whatever feels good and gives you confidence to stroke a putt past the hole (well, hopefully in it, but you know what I mean). I change putters and grips quite often - I like a change for some reason.

Appreantly, people with long thin fingers should use the standard "thin" putter grips. Folk with shorter, fatter fingers should be looking at the bigger grips. I always thought it was the other way round but hey ho. Some folk will also suggest that if you have a wristy putting stroke that fat grips help reduce this.

However, I reckon it's a comfort/feel thing - go with whatever feels good and gives you confidence to stroke a putt past the hole (well, hopefully in it, but you know what I mean). I change putters and grips quite often - I like a change for some reason.

I think there is a fad element to these grips but it works for me so I'm quite happy. I do feel that it keeps my putting stroke a bit more solid or in one piece as the wrists are definitely kept a lot more quiet.

Had a go at that for a while (you can tell from these posts that my putting has been a bit "inconsistent" over the years :lol:)

Found that it worked well on putts that didn't require any feel but anything on a tricky line was a bit more difficult. Long putts cack handed were a total non-starter for me. Still get tempted to go back to it but I think I'd need a lot more practice time than I can spare these days to go to it fully.

How about looking at the hole instead of the ball like Speith does? Anybody tried that?

I'm just trying to mess with your heads. :lol: Putting is the easiest part of the game, don't know what all the fuss is about. I might put a fat grip on my driver though. :lol:

SLDR 14 degree stiff

Rbz stage 1 3 wood regular

Rbz stage 1 hybrid 19 degree stiff

Burner hybrid 24 degree regular

Rocketbladez 4-sw stiff

Vokey 60 degree wedge flex

Odyssey 2 ball putter

Ping hoofer bag (black and red)

Srixon soft feel balls

Nike brolly

Callaway water proofs

Adidas shoes

Edited by dandydunn

How about looking at the hole instead of the ball like Speith does? Anybody tried that?

I'm just trying to mess with your heads. :lol: Putting is the easiest part of the game, don't know what all the fuss is about. I might put a fat grip on my driver though. :lol:

I've tried the Speith thing - no real difference.

Whilst we're on accessories:

Ping Hoofer bag (black & white)

Ping Waterproofs

Ping umbrella

Adidas shoes

Titleist Pro V1 balls

Lovely arrange of couture - Hugo Boss, Lacoste, Armani.

I've tried the Speith thing - no real difference.

Whilst we're on accessories:

Ping Hoofer bag (black & white)

Ping Waterproofs

Ping umbrella

Adidas shoes

Titleist Pro V1 balls

Lovely arrange of couture - Hugo Boss, Lacoste, Armani.

when I was playing serious I shelled out for a set of Galvin green jacket and leggings ,lovely feel,red/black (didnt do red/white)

oldest son started using the jacket to "run" in it honks now of his sweat and no amount of washing has shifted it,however my legs don't get wet now when I power wash the driveway.....

Taylormade 2015 Staff Tourbag

Motocaddy

Peak Performance Waterproofs

Range of Peak Performance trousers, Tee-shirts and Gilets

Adidas Boost shoes (white)

Taylormade TP x ball

Taylormade Brolly

Taylormade towel

Taylormade Glove

RAGC ball marker

IKEA pencil

(Shakes heid to self)

Edited by SMcoolJ

I use any baws I can lay my hands on, makes no difference to me. And, I don't see the point in spending a few hundred quid on waterproofs that I will only need to wear a few times every year.

Some of you lot sound like you would be more at home in a fashion show than on the golf course. :wink2: For me, one of the more enjoyable aspects of golf is when you see a guy turn up to the course wearing all the fancy gear, top of the range shoes, brand new shiny clubs and awe the rest of it. He stands on the first tee, does awe the maneuvers that he has seen the top guys do on TV, then sclaffs his tee shot into the bushes. Braw, jist sets me up for the day. :lol: You know the folk I am talking aboot, everybody knows a few of them.

I use any baws I can lay my hands on, makes no difference to me. And, I don't see the point in spending a few hundred quid on waterproofs that I will only need to wear a few times every year.

Some of you lot sound like you would be more at home in a fashion show than on the golf course. :wink2: For me, one of the more enjoyable aspects of golf is when you see a guy turn up to the course wearing all the fancy gear, top of the range shoes, brand new shiny clubs and awe the rest of it. He stands on the first tee, does awe the maneuvers that he has seen the top guys do on TV, then sclaffs his tee shot into the bushes. Braw, jist sets me up for the day. :lol: You know the folk I am talking aboot, everybody knows a few of them.

Yes, expected a response along these lines. Remember golf is 50% about looking good and 50% about knowing you look good!!!

Have you tried playing with a decent ball - makes a huge difference?

If I didn't play matches and comps, I would not play in the rain and wouldn't need waterproofs either. As I do occasionally have to play in crap conditions, decent waterproofs are a good investment! Big bag and trolley are excellent for keeping things dry too.