Transfer Rumours - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Goodwillie is all but back at the Arabs with Ciftci heading to Parkhead.

There is no chance of either of these things happening. We're more likely to sign David Dodds than David Goodwillie again, and having said categorically no more sales to Celtic I just don't believe Thompson is stupid enough to make the same mistake twice. Especially when he looks at his season book sales.

To be honest, Ciftci can go if they get anything over £700k. He's not going to sign again, and he's not a guy to build your team around. Since Capitulation-Gate he's not been the same.

But he won't go to Celtic.

Interesting way of looking at it.

It falls down a wee bit when you look at the players you've sold and how succesful they've become. The only one who's looked like holding down an international place is Andy Robertson (although I suspect Armstrong isn't far away)....the rest of them haven't been up till now any more succesful than Chris Maguire. Ryan Fraser or Jack Grimmer.

There's also no guarantee that the players that you've listed will be succesful. Just because they're playing for United doesn't mean a lot.

With or without these players, Aberdeen have been a better team than United for at least 2 years or more. Maybe you have 7 million quid, but you've no trophies or a European place.

I wasn't really aiming it as a dig at Aberdeen, more as a way of saying that for all Aberdeen have done well - and they've been outstanding with their consistency this year - I think United are playing a different game. We're bringing through young guys who will entertain, some of whom will be sold for big bucks because they're not looking at Utd as the pinnacle of their career and many of them will hopefully go on to become Scotland internationals over the next decade.

That does means there will be times after the best have been plucked that we go on horrendous runs like the last few months, but there are more coming and coming all the time. I remain long term confident, if short term scunnered.

There is no chance of either of these things happening. We're more likely to sign David Dodds than David Goodwillie again, and having said categorically no more sales to Celtic I just don't believe Thompson is stupid enough to make the same mistake twice. Especially when he looks at his season book sales.

To be honest, Ciftci can go if they get anything over £700k. He's not going to sign again, and he's not a guy to build your team around. Since Capitulation-Gate he's not been the same.

But he won't go to Celtic.

I agree on Goodwillie not going back to Utd.

Also with Ciftci not being the player he was. When he first came on the scene he was fantastic and I know McInnes (along with a few others) was a huge admirer. He seems to have become a bit cumbersome and grown the rather unfortunate "me, me, me" type attitude. I was pretty unimpressed with him in the last game at Todders. I think he needs a very strict manager and guidance if he's to get his career near to where it could be.

I wasn't really aiming it as a dig at Aberdeen, more as a way of saying that for all Aberdeen have done well - and they've been outstanding with their consistency this year - I think United are playing a different game. We're bringing through young guys who will entertain, some of whom will be sold for big bucks because they're not looking at Utd as the pinnacle of their career and many of them will hopefully go on to become Scotland internationals over the next decade.

That does means there will be times after the best have been plucked that we go on horrendous runs like the last few months, but there are more coming and coming all the time. I remain long term confident, if short term scunnered.

I agree.

I think United have had to bring lots of youngsters through, where as Aberdeen in the last couple of years have taken a different approach.

There's a slight concern amongst some Dons fans (as stated earlier in this thread) that McInnes doesn't give enough youngsters their head....we actually have some very good young players but McInnes' preference seems to be for more experienced players.

There's no doubt that United have brought through some cracking players in the last few years, and I'm sure that it'll continue.

It's been a conscious decision by United since Levein brought in Cathro, It cost a lot of money to set up the Performance School at St Johns, and I believe it still does, and the credit must go to Stephen Thompson for continuing the investment where it might give more short-term gains to spend that money on experienced pros. That's why I'm happy to let him off for horrendous decision to sell Armstrong in January.

A.N.Other Chairman could quite easily pull the plug on that funding.

Edited by adamntg

It's been a conscious decision by United since Levein brought in Cathro, It cost a lot of money to set up the Performance School at St Johns, and I believe it still does, and the credit must go to Stephen Thompson for continuing the investment where it might give more short-term gains to spend that money on experienced pros. That's why I'm happy to let him off for horrendous decision to sell Armstrong in January.

A.N.Other Chairman could quite easily pull the plug on that funding.

Are the Performance Schools not an SFA initiative rather than any individual club's?

My nephew was involved in trials for it and there was no direct club involvement in the process. I believe the intake includes players signed to various clubs.

Are the Performance Schools not an SFA initiative rather than any individual

My nephew was involved in trials for it and there was no direct club involvement in the process. I believe the intake includes players signed to various clubs.

United set up St Johns project and SFA copied it accross the country

Are the Performance Schools not an SFA initiative rather than any individual club's?

As GH says, United started the first at St Johns in Dundee at Ian Cathro's behest. When Cathro moved to the SFA he rolled them out across the country.

Dundee planning well for next season 4 signed already .QoS left back

Latest one .megatt from alloa m.o.m. in play off looks a good player

5 actually: Kane Hemmings, Rory Loy, Nicky Low as well as Holt and Meggatt

5 actually: Kane Hemmings, Rory Loy, Nicky Low as well as Holt and Meggatt

Is Hemmings the lad that played for Cowdenbeath recently? If so, he was at Rangers for a while but was constantly injured. Looked a good player when he was fit and proved it when with Cowdenbeath. Big strong and reasonably quick.

Is Hemmings the lad that played for Cowdenbeath recently? If so, he was at Rangers for a while but was constantly injured. Looked a good player when he was fit and proved it when with Cowdenbeath. Big strong and reasonably quick.

Got punted due to his attitude. Quite incredible when you consider what we have just now. How bad must it have been?