Spl 24/05/15 - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Looks like Aberdeen effectively stopped after making sure of 2nd spot a month ago.

Hard to blame Mcinnes today for putting out a makeshift team (although hard on United), most of the players have been active now for the best part of a year, and we get going again in about 4 weeks time.

The European schedule is nuts.

Edited by Rossy

Absolutely. Not knocked out a "proper" team since Borussia MGB in 1987.

Did I not read somewhere that United haven't won a European tie since 1997, and only one game in all that time ? :blink:

Did I not read somewhere that United haven't won a European tie since 1997, and only one game in all that time ? :blink:

Don't think your team has fared much better Rossy if I recollect.

Only the old firm have fared well on the odd occasion in the last 20 years or so :(

Don't think your team has fared much better Rossy if I recollect.

Only the old firm have fared well on the odd occasion in the last 20 years or so :(

Nah, I wasn't having a dig, I was just surprised at the stat.

I think I also read that United's European co-efficient is still higher than Aberdeen's.... :lol:

Nah, I wasn't having a dig, I was just surprised at the stat.

I think I also read that United's European co-efficient is still higher than Aberdeen's.... :lol:

No dig from me either pal, was just stating the decline of both our clubs who were relatively quite good in Europe through the 80's.....you obviously claim the trophy whilst we had to watch Gothenburg lift it :(

I find it quite sad really the decline of Scottish teams in Europe. I used to love the thrill of all Scottish clubs putting the big teams to the test....sadly it's gone now for everyone.

Don't think we will ever have those days back until serious money is brought into our League so we can compete financially.

No dig from me either pal, was just stating the decline of both our clubs who were relatively quite good in Europe through the 80's.....you obviously claim the trophy whilst we had to watch Gothenburg lift it :(

I find it quite sad really the decline of Scottish teams in Europe. I used to love the thrill of all Scottish clubs putting the big teams to the test....sadly it's gone now for everyone.

Don't think we will ever have those days back until serious money is brought into our League so we can compete financially.

The fall of the Iron Curtain has had a massive effect with so many new countries now entering sides into the competition.

Also factor in tv running the show based on which countries have the biggest tv audiences and is highly unlikely we'll regain our former prowess anytime soon.

Still enjoy playing different teams in Europe though whilst accepting that its far from a level playing field.

That sounds right. They beat Principat 17-0 over the two legs in 97 and since then they've lost to MyPa, Dynamo Moscow, AEK Athens, Trabzonspor and that's all I can remember. Can't recall them actually winning a game, let alone a tie.

Edit: had to check and forgot about them beating Slask Wroclaw but going out on away goals.

In their defence, they drew with Trabzon, Dynamo Moscow and AEK, and beat Slask who won the Polish league that year. Not terrible results really, just not good enough.

Edited by adamntg

The fall of the Iron Curtain has had a massive effect with so many new countries now entering sides into the competition.

Also factor in tv running the show based on which countries have the biggest tv audiences and is highly unlikely we'll regain our former prowess anytime soon.

Still enjoy playing different teams in Europe though whilst accepting that its far from a level playing field.

Totally agree.

Garbage eh :(

I enjoyed last seasons wee European sojourn.

Beating Groningen...who won the Dutch cup a few weeks ago....was not a bad achievement at all, and probably the best non-OF result in Europe in a long, long time.

Sociedad were always going to be a step up, but at least we competed. The early start was a bugger, but in the long run it didn't do us any harm.

Of course, this coming season it could all go tits up in the 1st round depending on the draw.

I enjoyed last seasons wee European sojourn.

Beating Groningen...who won the Dutch cup a few weeks ago....was not a bad achievement at all, and probably the best non-OF result in Europe in a long, long time.

Sociedad were always going to be a step up, but at least we competed. The early start was a bugger, but in the long run it didn't do us any harm.

Of course, this coming season it could all go tits up in the 1st round depending on the draw.

Probably agree with most of that,but I would say the 2007/08 campaign was mightily impressive.

The fall of the iron curtain must make older fans of ex USSR teams yearn to draw the likes of United again though. I mean surely visiting a rundown, hellhole like Dumpdee might make them feel all nostalgic?

Probably agree with most of that,but I would say the 2007/08 campaign was mightily impressive.

That was a good performance. However, it marked how far Scottish teams have fallen when beating someone like FC Copenhagen was seen as a major victory.

United and Aberdeen would've had them for breakfast in the Eighties.

The fall of the iron curtain must make older fans of ex USSR teams yearn to draw the likes of United again though. I mean surely visiting a rundown, hellhole like Dumpdee might make them feel all nostalgic?

:lol: harsh but potentially true pal !

What size of United shirt you wanting brought to Dublin or have you got it already :D

Have you seen the centre of perth recently? It's as big a toilet as anywhere else in Scotland.