Stephen House To Stand Down - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Stephen House To Stand Down

I'm sure he was a good administrator able to jump through whatever target based hoops some inept civil servant put in front of him, not being cognizant of the history and philosophy of actual policing by consent rendered him totally inappropriate for the head of all Police in Scotland. There should now be a process to find out why he was placed their in the first place and whether it was the centralization process or him that is causing the problems.

I'm sure he was a good administrator able to jump through whatever target based hoops some inept civil servant put in front of him, not being cognizant of the history and philosophy of actual policing by consent rendered him totally inappropriate for the head of all Police in Scotland. There should now be a process to find out why he was placed their in the first place and whether it was the centralization process or him that is causing the problems.

Probably because getting the unified force in place was a massive administrative job.

Not easy to work your way up in any organisation. Enjoy retirement and look back on a successful career.

After making a complete künt of things.

He should have gone after armed John Law on routine patrols.

Our very own James Anderton-style crackpot (without the God bit).

Edited by Charlie Endell

After making a complete künt of things.

He should have gone after armed John Law on routine patrols.

Our very own James Anderton-style crackpot (without the God bit).

Strange I don't recall any incidents relating to armed officers, except buying food in shops annoying folk.

Drastic decrease in murders with knives, he is due respect for that.

Sack him for coppers buying their piece?

The best time to be in the Police Chief Constable job is after the Chief Constable in charge at the time of unification

A bit like David Moyes really

Strange I don't recall any incidents relating to armed officers, except buying food in shops annoying folk.

Drastic decrease in murders with knives, he is due respect for that.

Sack him for coppers buying their piece?

I wouldn't trust your average John Law with a water pistol.

It's definitely not the sort of society I want to live in.

Edited by Charlie Endell

I wouldn't trust your average John Law with a water pistol.

It's definitely not the sort of society I want to live in.

I repeat no incidents.

Never asked about trust my question was would you sack him for armed Coppers going for chips?

Just because there were no incidents didn't make it right.

Yes - there's absolutely no need John Law to enter a chip shop armed if they're just there to buy chips, and given that it's fairly important for them to maintain a certain standard of fitness I'd also sack him for allowing officers to eat artery clogging food while on duty :wink2: .

Edited by Charlie Endell

As pointed out, knife crime in Scotland......which was a complete scourge....decreased dramatically under his watch, and he should be commended on his handling of the Commonwealth Games.

The high profile mistakes the force has made over the last 8 months though means that the buck had to stop somewhere, and it's right that he's gone.

As pointed out, knife crime in Scotland......which was a complete scourge....decreased dramatically under his watch, and he should be commended on his handling of the Commonwealth Games.

The high profile mistakes the force has made over the last 8 months though means that the buck had to stop somewhere, and it's right that he's gone.

The Games is fair enough the knife crime is multi-faceted , the courts increased sentencing, the police did 5 times as many stop and searches, and the councils had that huge "No Knives Better Lives" campaign. Plus a shit load of internal pressure amongst communities.

One thing he certainly shouldn't be praised for is the commonwealth games. One of the most shambolic times of his watch.

Some of the other stuff he's been blamed for is a bit ridiculous though. I'm surprised there's not been uproar that armed cops are sitting about doing not very much!

The Games is fair enough the knife crime is multi-faceted , the courts increased sentencing, the police did 5 times as many stop and searches, and the councils had that huge "No Knives Better Lives" campaign. Plus a shit load of internal pressure amongst communities.

Yeah, but the multi-faceted aspect of it is part of the approach. Can't imagine some of the old forces twenty years ago working that closely with partners on that kind of campaign.

One thing he certainly shouldn't be praised for is the commonwealth games. One of the most shambolic times of his watch.

Some of the other stuff he's been blamed for is a bit ridiculous though. I'm surprised there's not been uproar that armed cops are sitting about doing not very much!

Really? What was shambolic?

Yeah, but the multi-faceted aspect of it is part of the approach. Can't imagine some of the old forces twenty years ago working that closely with partners on that kind of campaign.

We had knives cost lives 20 years ago or there about, maybe a bit longer, i was in first year and it was ongoing in conjunction with the 1990 offensive weapons act. So my imagination wasn't necessary i saw it live. I even got lifted with a dumbell bar in my jacket. Went through the process.

Probably because getting the unified force in place was a massive administrative job.

Yeah the doing one thing and saying another to parliament is a fatal flaw in his job though regardless of how well he navigated the administrative waters.