Bbc & Gaelic - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bbc & Gaelic

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE came in very late from the pub.

I'm not knocking the spending but like to see numbers.

In terms of other £ spent from Scotland to bbc remember that goes to shows that are popular here. Eastenders, GBB, The Voice etc. Even MOTD has large viewing, more than Sportscene I'd expect.

Yeah, of course but can't these shows could be made in Scotland, the BBC just chooses not to make them here.

MOTD may get more viewing figures in Scotland. That's probably due to it being a well made programme (with a lot spent on it) and being on on a Saturday night at Primetime, rather than 10:30pm on a Sunday. You're hardly comparing like for like.

You do know if you apply the criteria from your signature to the no vote as well it was then below 50%. So less than half of the population want to remain in the union making ratification of the union null and void?

His signature is only there to troll. It's best ignored.

It seems you can't talk about anything without some aggressive historical grievance being raised these days. Scotland 2015.

How about how much is spent on Scotland 2015 for an alleged nightly audience of 4000.

You do know if you apply the criteria from your signature to the no vote as well it was then below 50%. So less than half of the population want to remain in the union making ratification of the union null and void?

aye less that 40% voted to remain dependent..

pop 5.3 million NAW voters 2.01 m = less that 40%

I know its hard Alan, but stick to the facts.

This sort of OP, and the ever more shrill and frantic abuse from Unionists in such as newspaper columns, betrays their fear and anxiety at Scots exerting the sort of independent thinking that will eventually lead to the break-up of the UK.

I think it's obvious that Unionists felt that the No vote last September put an end to things. Black and white, full stop, over and done with, no more talk of being Scottish, Rule Britannia etc.

Obviously that hasn't happened, and your more ardent, fanatical BritNat has reacted to that with a mixture of hate and fear.

What we have now is a concerted attempt from Unionists to dismiss any kind of move to promote 'Scottishness' within a devolved or federal set-up. Hence the rabid attacks on even the slightest hint of more devolved powers, and their fury that a beloved establishment organ....the BBC....could somehow be devolved to reflect the reality of today's Scotland, rather than the 1950's Home Counties version that's often foisted upon us.

Watch what happens over the next 12 months. At any hint of Scotland being promoted 'independently', the BritNats will become more and more rabid.

They want to Scotland back in it's place....back, shut firmly in the box marked 'UK'.

This sort of OP, and the ever more shrill and frantic abuse from Unionists in such as newspaper columns, betrays their fear and anxiety at Scots exerting the sort of independent thinking that will eventually lead to the break-up of the UK.

I think it's obvious that Unionists felt that the No vote last September put an end to things. Black and white, full stop, over and done with, no more talk of being Scottish, Rule Britannia etc.

Obviously that hasn't happened, and your more ardent, fanatical BritNat has reacted to that with a mixture of hate and fear.

What we have now is a concerted attempt from Unionists to dismiss any kind of move to promote 'Scottishness' within a devolved or federal set-up. Hence the rabid attacks on even the slightest hint of more devolved powers, and their fury that a beloved establishment organ....the BBC....could somehow be devolved to reflect the reality of today's Scotland, rather than the 1950's Home Counties version that's often foisted upon us.

Watch what happens over the next 12 months. At any hint of Scotland being promoted 'independently', the BritNats will become more and more rabid.

They want to Scotland back in it's place....back, shut firmly in the box marked 'UK'.

Good post.

I don't agree that Unionists felt that the No vote put an end to things last September. I think that they felt that it *should* have put an end to things but clearly it didn't and that is what is causing the anger and fear.

From the Unionist perspective the result in September - once people sobered up and thought about it - it must have been a bit of a phyrric victory. As people sobered up they would have realised that they won this time but that the constitutional question was far from settled. I think a lot realise its just been a stay of execution.

at the end of the day Alan Gàidhlig has been part of our cultural heritage for roughly 1400 to 1500 years in Scotland and at the turn of the 20th century their were over 200,000 Gàidhlig speakers in Scotland ... the British establishment played a massive part in trying to eradicate the language ... as i have said before about you alan you cringe at everything that is Scottish ... you would like to eradicate everything Scottish and replace it with some fake British/English culture ... i pity you

I don't agree that Unionists felt that the No vote put an end to things last September. I think that they felt that it *should* have put an end to things but clearly it didn't and that is what is causing the anger and fear.

From the Unionist perspective the result in September - once people sobered up and thought about it - it must have been a bit of a phyrric victory. As people sobered up they would have realised that they won this time but that the constitutional question was far from settled. I think a lot realise its just been a stay of execution.

Exactly.

at the end of the day Alan Gàidhlig has been part of our cultural heritage for roughly 1400 to 1500 years in Scotland and at the turn of the 20th century their were over 200,000 Gàidhlig speakers in Scotland ... the British establishment played a massive part in trying to eradicate the language ... as i have said before about you alan you cringe at everything that is Scottish ... you would like to eradicate everything Scottish and replace it with some fake British/English culture ... i pity you

I believe that many BritNats feel that way.

I think they see anything Scottish as a symbol of the independence movement, and as a threat to the Union.

I believe that many BritNats feel that way.

I think they see anything Scottish as a symbol of the independence movement, and as a threat to the Union.

Got to be honest, I don't agree with that at all & can't think of anything Scottish I would want to eradicate & replace with an English/British alternative.

I fail to understand a point of view that says that because something is a 'minority', then it automatically must be worthless.

I suspect that the OP's motivation is a fear and visceral hatred of anything which promotes 'Scottishness'.

It's the same kind of line BNP/EDL types use about councils spending 'their' money on printing leaflets in Urdu or Cantonese.

Alan's 'enemy' just happens to be different.

Edited by scotlad

Got to be honest, I don't agree with that at all & can't think of anything Scottish I would want to eradicate & replace with an English/British alternative.

I get the impression that many Unionists....confident in their belief that the referendum killed off the SNP forever....are now terrified that independence can be achieved 'through the back door' by devolving powers bit by bit.

Hence the often hysterical responses to increased powers for the Scottish government and the suggestion of a devolved BBC.

There seems to be a fundamental and idealogical opposition to anything 'Scottish' being given priority over anything 'British'. It's now moved past rational political argument.....it seems driven by fear and hate.

Maybe you're different, I don't know.

Edited by Rossy

In terms of other £ spent from Scotland to bbc remember that goes to shows that are popular here. Eastenders, GBB, The Voice etc. Even MOTD has large viewing, more than Sportscene I'd expect.

If the BBC wanted to provide good value scrapping these would be a start...

I wish I'd been taught Gaelic at school. In fact I wish it was taught in all schools in Scotland.

Aren't the SNP trying to make Gaelic compulsory for primary school children now?

Regarding the OP - doesn't the BBC Alba budget come out of the BBC Scotland budget (if budget is the right word)? That would mean that BBC Scotland overall was still receiving less money than Scottish people give to the BBC.

Edited by Clyde1998

Aren't the SNP trying to make Gaelic compulsory for primary school children now?

No. They aren't revolutionary enough regards the Gaidhlig.

Languages can be saved - look at modern Hebrew and Welsh.

As for moaning anti-Gaels, we pay our taxes too, and pay significantly more for the service Gaelic speakers receive - Gaelic is an official language of Scotland (before the ''mair Polish speakers than..") that gets trotted out on the Hootsman.

BBC Alba needs subtitles in Gaelic for the English only programmes.

As for anyone who wants to learn it. It can be done, even if you want to learn a few basics - it'll open your mind to the meaning of the likes of Cairn Gorm, Dun, Inbhir, and so on. I am not fluent, but I am so glad I have picked up a smidgin of it - it was my grandfather's mother tongue - he then moved to Glasgow from Barra, never passed any of it to his sons (he then died when my Dad was 10). All his brothers/sisters are dead, so if it's not for me or my brother (sounding a bit melodramatic now) it would die out in our family, so it won't, even if I butcher it at times.

Cum Gaidhlig beo.