Worst Gig Ever? - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst Gig Ever?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radiohead Kid A tour. Somewhere outdoors in Glasgow. Hours and hours of "new stuff". I'll never get that time back.

That's right! Big top on Glasgow Green. Setlist was classic song, tuneless dirge, classic song, tuneless dirge etc.

Thom was looking particularly uninterested...

Not an Eminem fan but I saw him at gig on the green circa 2000 when he was at the height of his stardom. Marilyn Manson was on immediately beforehand, and when he finished all of the goths melted away and were replaced by hordes of eccied up bams from the slam tent. Quite a transformation.

Anyway, there was a huge crush so me and my mate decided to squeeze out and watch from the back. The gig got delayed for ages for security reasons, and Eminem had to come onto the stage and plead with the crowd. Never forget his nasal whine 'they're gonna send me home glaaaasgaaaw, back da up or they won't let me on'

I literally can't remember a thing from the performance when he finally came on. Suspect we might have ended up watching something else.

Any gig where Dylan isn't up for it. Last time I saw him in Glasgow was mind-numbingly bad. I saw the setlist a few days after the gig and hadn't realised some of his old classics had been played due to his penchant for making every song sound nothing like the original.

Years ago, no idea how long back, The Pogues at The Barrowlands. McGowan was utterly pished, ####ed out of his head. He came on late, and then sat on a chair with his back turned to the audience. Too many in the crowd pretended that it was a great gig; everyone should have got their money back. Again about 10 years ago at the Playhouse Van Morrison as part of the Jazz Festival. Morrison clearly arrived on stage in a bad mood (even by his standards). He played various songs that no one in the audience knew, jazz stuff, no one cared, and then started to get arsey when folk shouted out for stuff they knew. He's a .

Edited by Pool Q

Years ago, no idea how long back, The Pogues at The Barrowlands. McGowan was utterly pished, ####ed out of his head. He came on late, and then sat on a chair with his back turned to the audience. Too many in the crowd pretended that it was a great gig; everyone should have got their money back. Again about 10 years ago at the Playhouse Van Morrison as part of the Jazz Festival. Morrison clearly arrived on stage in a bad mood (even by his standards). He played various songs that no one in the audience knew, jazz stuff, no one cared, and then started to get arsey when folk shouted out for stuff they knew. He's a .

Mate, no sympathy at all :wink2:

Maybe a little research might have been appropriate??

:guitar::-))

Radiohead Kid A tour. Somewhere outdoors in Glasgow. Hours and hours of "new stuff". I'll never get that time back.

Not a huge Radiohead fan , can get why people do like them though, saw them at Bonaroo in Tennessee and it was meh.

Any gig where Dylan isn't up for it. Last time I saw him in Glasgow was mind-numbingly bad. I saw the setlist a few days after the gig and hadn't realised some of his old classics had been played due to his penchant for making every song sound nothing like the original.

Parents went to see Knopfler a d Dylan at SECC a few years ago and say Dylan was awful, old and past it, didn't sound good at all and just sat on a stool sitting side on to the stage.

Again about 10 years ago at the Playhouse Van Morrison as part of the Jazz Festival. Morrison clearly arrived on stage in a bad mood (even by his standards). He played various songs that no one in the audience knew, jazz stuff, no one cared, and then started to get arsey when folk shouted out for stuff they knew. He's a .

:-)) Similar to the time I saw him at the Armadillo. Must've been the earliest ever a headliner had come on, we'd just got in and I started queuing at the bar when the announcment came over the PA "Van Morrison will come on stage in one minute". Decided to eschew the drinks and it was a good job as the announcer wasn't lying.

There were folk still coming in to find their seats about an hour into the gig! At which point he still hadn't played anything we knew. They did Brown Eyed Girl at the end as a token gesture. Although I have to say I really enjoyed it, tremendous musicianship. But aye he's a grumpy bugger.

:-)) Similar to the time I saw him at the Armadillo. Must've been the earliest ever a headliner had come on, we'd just got in and I started queuing at the bar when the announcment came over the PA "Van Morrison will come on stage in one minute". Decided to eschew the drinks and it was a good job as the announcer wasn't lying.

There were folk still coming in to find their seats about an hour into the gig! At which point he still hadn't played anything we knew. They did Brown Eyed Girl at the end as a token gesture. Although I have to say I really enjoyed it, tremendous musicianship. But aye he's a grumpy bugger.

all of the above,absolute cock of a man,had the misfortune to stay in the same hotel in nottingham ,years ago,went to get in the lift ,##### (his minder)put his hand out and said " Mr Morrison travels alone" shouted a few expletives at the pair ..... coupled with previous stories of the twat every time his crap comes on the radio I turn over,as I said total cock

Spiritualized at TITP, 1998 I think it was.

I had been a huge fan of theirs since 1993ish and Lazer Guided Melodies. Ladies and Gentlemen is/was also a brilliant album.

But live, in a tent, at TITP their music just did not translate to a good gig.The tent was rammed in anticipation but the atmosphere was so flat and the music didn't do anything to improve it. Large chunks of the crowd were drifting away after 3 songs and we chucked it after about 5. I took pelters off my mates for weeks for dragging them along to it.

I've never seen them live since so I've no idea if they just had an off day or if they just can't do it live.

blue rodeo @ calgary stampede this year ; first live concert i'd been to in about a decade

hokey country pish ; everyone else seemed to lap it up though

Surprised at that.

They played the wee square in Whistler right after Canada lifted the gold in the Hockey, they were brilliant, although that atmosphere and sheer joy all around may have added to it.

Ocean Colour Scene at Stirling Castle, late 90's, dreadful. Remember thinking I wish I had brought a camping chair so I could have a wee sit down and a nap. Boring as. The Supernaturals, supporting, were better. Which says a lot.

Honourable mentions go to - any Ian Brown gig in a tent at TITP. I remember almost fighting to get into one.....and leaving after 3 tracks. Add in Blur headline set at TITP, B sides and rarities. Ohh and Primal Scream headlining Wickerman a couple of years ago..."This one is for Amy Winehouse..." and so began another obscure track...and me thinking "Join her, join her now". After having watched Nile Rodgers and Chic cram as much as humanly possible, hit after hit into an hour beforehand, I couldn't help but think positions should have been swapped that night.

Sets at festivals where you decide to see how far you can fit your own heid up your @rse are always a bad idea. You are there to entertain everyone. Chuck in the the odd new one, play the odd surprise track but don't attempt to show how varied and extreme your back catalogue is by playing a track that you last played in front of 14 punters in a back room in Arbroath in that early "experimental" phase FFS.

A lot of mentions for Dylan. The only time I've seen him was when I worked in Budapest. The venue was way too big for the crowd, it was like being at Rugby Park. However the band were excellent and Bob seemed into it too.

His singing ruined it for me though. The Dylan trademark snarl was gone, his voice sounded more like Grover from Sesame St. I was looking about at the crowd thinking "are you hearing that too?". It was like the Emperor's New Clothes...

Ocean Colour Scene at Stirling Castle, late 90's, dreadful. Remember thinking I wish I had brought a camping chair so I could have a wee sit down and a nap. Boring as. The Supernaturals, supporting, were better. Which says a lot.

Honourable mentions go to - any Ian Brown gig in a tent at TITP. I remember almost fighting to get into one.....and leaving after 3 tracks. Add in Blur headline set at TITP, B sides and rarities. Ohh and Primal Scream headlining Wickerman a couple of years ago..."This one is for Amy Winehouse..." and so began another obscure track...and me thinking "Join her, join her now". After having watched Nile Rodgers and Chic cram as much as humanly possible, hit after hit into an hour beforehand, I couldn't help but think positions should have been swapped that night.

Sets at festivals where you decide to see how far you can fit your own heid up your @rse are always a bad idea. You are there to entertain everyone. Chuck in the the odd new one, play the odd surprise track but don't attempt to show how varied and extreme your back catalogue is by playing a track that you last played in front of 14 punters in a back room in Arbroath in that early "experimental" phase FFS.

Surprised to see that about OCS. One of my first ever gigs that one. Had a cracking night. 1998 it would have been roughly?

Seen the OCS acoustic gig in Glasgow last year. Some performance I must say.

FFS I'd swap ALL your experiences for mine...

My mrs was due to head out to a show with her pal who at the very last minute phoned to cancel cos she was ill. I was left with no choice but to drive her all the way to Glasgow to sit through the farewell concert by A-ha!

Utterly horrendous 2 hours of listening to these tuneless Norwegian bstrds while all around these wobbly 40+ women were out their seats attempting dance moves they hadn't done in decades. I think I was the only guy there. :(

"Cry wolf woo-ooo.." - what a truly fkin hideous night.