Worst Gig Ever? - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst Gig Ever?

FFS I'd swap ALL your experiences for mine...

My mrs was due to head out to a show with her pal who at the very last minute phoned to cancel cos she was ill. I was left with no choice but to drive her all the way to Glasgow to sit through the farewell concert by A-ha!

Utterly horrendous 2 hours of listening to these tuneless Norwegian bstrds while all around these wobbly 40+ women were out their seats attempting dance moves they hadn't done in decades. I think I was the only guy there. :(

"Cry wolf woo-ooo.." - what a truly fkin hideous night.

We have a winner.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ocean Colour Scene at Stirling Castle, late 90's, dreadful. Remember thinking I wish I had brought a camping chair so I could have a wee sit down and a nap. Boring as. The Supernaturals, supporting, were better. Which says a lot.

Honourable mentions go to - any Ian Brown gig in a tent at TITP. I remember almost fighting to get into one.....and leaving after 3 tracks. Add in Blur headline set at TITP, B sides and rarities. Ohh and Primal Scream headlining Wickerman a couple of years ago..."This one is for Amy Winehouse..." and so began another obscure track...and me thinking "Join her, join her now". After having watched Nile Rodgers and Chic cram as much as humanly possible, hit after hit into an hour beforehand, I couldn't help but think positions should have been swapped that night.

Sets at festivals where you decide to see how far you can fit your own heid up your @rse are always a bad idea. You are there to entertain everyone. Chuck in the the odd new one, play the odd surprise track but don't attempt to show how varied and extreme your back catalogue is by playing a track that you last played in front of 14 punters in a back room in Arbroath in that early "experimental" phase FFS.

Surprised at ocs mention as well, unless you just don't like them?

Seen them live loads of times and they are always excellent, crowd right up for it. One of my favourite gigs was ocs at the Carling academy after we beat the faroes 3-1 at Hampden, Neil McCann on the scoresheet. Loads of guys in kilts and Scotland tops at the gig, FOS getting belted out before ocs took the stage. When they came on scarves and flags were being thrown on the stage. Simon Fowler wore one.

'Well you guys won today'

Massive cheer

'And we won today'

Massive chorus of boos

'Oh, come on' haha

Years ago, no idea how long back, The Pogues at The Barrowlands. McGowan was utterly pished, ####ed out of his head. He came on late, and then sat on a chair with his back turned to the audience. Too many in the crowd pretended that it was a great gig; everyone should have got their money back.

I was at the Fleadh in Finsbury Park when the Pogues headlined.

The band came on playing at 100 mph and then MacGowan came shambling on, he was completely Donald Ducked, but to the point where he was incapable of performing. He started "singing" but couldn't keep up with band, so the had no option but to slow down to Shane's snail like pace. I think it was one of the last gigs they did with MacGowan before they sacked him.

Walked out after three songs, couldn't take any more.

I'd seen them previously in 1985 on the Rum Sodomy and the Lash tour and so knew what they were like when they were on the game. Took me a long time to go back to see them again but did do for one of the Christmas shows at Brixton and to be fair they were on top form and great.

I see MacGowan's in hospital having broken his pelvis performing a "complicated dance move". Some guy.

Saw Dylan headline the Fleadh as well, maybe a couple of years later and he was excellent. Peter Capaldi and his mrs, who used to be in City Lights and Phyllis Logan were standing next to us. The Thick of It was many years in the future and unless you were Scots you probably wouldn't have known him but Phyllis Logan was in Lovejoy at the time so fairly well known, she was absolutely steaming and a right hoot, definately didn't have the cut glass Lady Jane accent, pure Weegie.

Edited by aaid

I'm quite lucky et this shit gig thing Mike Scott et the magnum 2004 if you went fur a drink/pee or whatever you wurnae allowed back in until he Finnished a song he waffled away aw night the only decent song he played wiz fisherman's blues

Come on Angus. This can't be in a bad gig thread. Did you no cop off that night or what ;)

It did follow a tedious 0-0 draw at Parkhead in the afternoon.

I know others who went and thought it was good but I just couldn't get into it at all.

Surprised and disappointed that he didn't play any of his classics too.

blue rodeo @ calgary stampede this year ; first live concert i'd been to in about a decade

hokey country pish ; everyone else seemed to lap it up though

Aye, a few folk have tried to drag me along to see Blue Rodeo, but have managed to avoid them.

You remember Paul Weller at Crystal Palace in the late 90s (?). Thought Weller's set was a bit dull, but the support groups were OK - Republica (their singer was a fox), and Skunk Anansie.

Was a bit underwhelmed by BB King about 3 years ago, yeah I know he was around 85 years old then, but the show mainly involved him chatting away to the audience in the front few rows, with a wee bit of guitar playing thrown in. Show was about 1hr 20mins.

Another vote for Finley Quaye. Bataclan Paris 1998. Embarrassing.

and another, queens hall Edinburgh late nineties he sang about 2 or 3 versions of his extensive 6 song set list.

Although I did receive a "favour" from my at the time lap dancing girlfriend in the toilets so it wasn't all bad!

Edited by dan cake

Black grape at the Livingston forum mid 90s was also gash

Shaun Ryder was out his face and unable to speak never mind sing

he lasted 2 songs and had to be replaced by Kermit which ment he couldn't do any raps as he was singing

Also Madness at Ingliston when the riot happened although to be fair it was feck all to do with the band

Only time in my life iv genuinely been scared,proper naughty as Danny would say

Black grape at the Livingston forum mid 90s was also gash

Shaun Ryder was out his face and unable to speak never mind sing

he lasted 2 songs and had to be replaced by Kermit which ment he couldn't do any raps as he was singing

I was at a Colours night at The Arches about 10 years ago and we noticed Shaun Ryder was listed as a 'special guest'

Sure enough he didn't disappoint. He was announced and appeared behind the decks and I think he was supposed to sing along to a Happy Mondays tune but he could barely stand up. So they got him a chair and he sat slumped, mumbling and whistling into the mic for about 2 mins before getting carried back off.

Been some amount of rammies at gigs in Killie over the years. No surprise Ballroom Blitz originated there...

Superb! From Wikipedia:

" The song was inspired by an incident on 27 January 1973 when The Sweet were performing at the Grand Hall in Kilmarnock, Scotland and were driven offstage by a barrage of bottles". Anyone there? "Blockbuster" was charting at that time. How could the folks of Killie bottle them off?!

Shane McGowan and the Popes at Barrowlands, Glasgow, many moons ago...........McGowan was blootered at the beginning and could hardly stand. Left after 2nd song....absolute sh*te.

Standard ...... saw them when they were Pogue Mahone at the John F Kennedy Centre Camden Town c.1983/4 and McGowan was hammered. Not good....

In terms of disappointed from a gig. Iron Maiden at the SECC in 2006. They played their new album in track order then a few hits at the end.

They made up for it when they came back in 2011 though!

Thought they were phenomenally good at that gig though. Honestly, I've seen Maiden do their greatest hits 1000 times, so it was great to hear the new stuff (that album was quite proggy too, I liked it).

I've seen so many bad bands I think I've lost count. Saw Korn when I was about 12 and they were dreadful. Done me a favour though -- don't think I listened to them again so it at least got the sh!te out of my system.

Surprised to see that about OCS. One of my first ever gigs that one. Had a cracking night. 1998 it would have been roughly?

Seen the OCS acoustic gig in Glasgow last year. Some performance I must say.

They have been great the few times ive seen them and that acoustic gig was utterly brilliant, one of the best sets i've ever seen and the crowd was great too.

Another vote for Dykan. Saw him at Brawhead Arena a couple of years ago and knew one song and that was an odd mumbling, alternative version of "Like A Rolling Stone" which was almost unrecognisable.

Honourable mention to the normally excellent Counting Crows who looked like they didn't want to be there when I saw them at the O2 in Glasgow last year.

Finally, I was pretty disappointed with Prince at the Millenium Dome - again, changing classic songs for no apparent reason is just annoying.

Ocean Colour Scene at Stirling Castle, late 90's, dreadful. Remember thinking I wish I had brought a camping chair so I could have a wee sit down and a nap. Boring as. The Supernaturals, supporting, were better. Which says a lot.

Honourable mentions go to - any Ian Brown gig in a tent at TITP. I remember almost fighting to get into one.....and leaving after 3 tracks. Add in Blur headline set at TITP, B sides and rarities. Ohh and Primal Scream headlining Wickerman a couple of years ago..."This one is for Amy Winehouse..." and so began another obscure track...and me thinking "Join her, join her now". After having watched Nile Rodgers and Chic cram as much as humanly possible, hit after hit into an hour beforehand, I couldn't help but think positions should have been swapped that night.

Sets at festivals where you decide to see how far you can fit your own heid up your @rse are always a bad idea. You are there to entertain everyone. Chuck in the the odd new one, play the odd surprise track but don't attempt to show how varied and extreme your back catalogue is by playing a track that you last played in front of 14 punters in a back room in Arbroath in that early "experimental" phase FFS.

You could hardly call Blur's setlist b'sides and rarities - same for the Scream, where do you buys music ? Tescos ?

Blur stormed T - here we, here we, here we effing go..

1. Encore:
Edited by HUNTINGMcGREGOR

Superb! From Wikipedia:

" The song was inspired by an incident on 27 January 1973 when The Sweet were performing at the Grand Hall in Kilmarnock, Scotland and were driven offstage by a barrage of bottles". Anyone there? "Blockbuster" was charting at that time. How could the folks of Killie bottle them off?!

maybe because taggart wiznae there that night

You could hardly call Blur's setlist b'sides and rarities - same for the Scream, where do you buys music ? Tescos ?

I hate it when people say Tescos. There is no s on the end

Wolfy loves Blur! He'll appreciate this post.