Apple Music - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anyone tried the new streaming system from Apple? It's basically to compete with Spotify and the likes and so far I've found it not bad to use but there is one thing I'm struggling with. As far as I can gather if I want to be able to download some of the content to my phone so I can listen to it without using data/wifi I need to check the "Music Available Offline (Only show music stored on this iPhone) button. However when I do this it automatically re installs all the music I have ever purchased through iTunes (as well as that fecking U2 album they forced on us!!). if I then try to remove the purchased music the only option it gives is to "Delete from iCloud library" which I assume means I'm deleting it completely and not just from the phone.

So in short, is there a way I can download the music from the streaming service to my phone (I know this can be done with Spotify) either without re installing all iTunes purchases or that allows me to delete those purchases from just my phone and not my library.

Cheers!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

apple can go feck themselves £10 a month after the 3 month trial

Aye, might sign up for three-month trial, but after that... I read somewhere it's $10 a month in the States (this could be incorrect) - Apple seem to make a habit of straight $ to £ conversions. Edited by Charlie Endell

Serious question here - What the fluck is streaming music ?

I just download stuff and put it on and take it off my iphones

Basically you pay a subscription (tenner a month in this instance) and you have access to their entire music library. You don't own the music as such but as long as you pay your subscription then you have continued access to it. I was skeptical at first as I like to own physical copies of CDs and albums however it's a great way to listen to albums or get in to a bands back catalogue before deciding to go and buy. I've probably spent hundreds of pounds buying albums on the basis of one or two songs only to get them and find the rest of the album is shite, Paying a tenner a month will probably save me money in the long run as well as give me access to music I probably wouldn't bother to seek out otherwise

Not any dearer than Spotify or any of the other streaming services out there.

As it happens I've figured the answer out myself. When downloading the album from Apple Music select the "make Available offline" option (on the album/song as opposed to the general settings) and hey presto it's yours whenever you want it.

I just download a bands entire back catalogue from a torrent site and stick it into my iTunes without paying for a subscription. Anything I can't download I just buy and put it on the good fashioned way of popping into my cd player and then transferring it to my library.

I just download a bands entire back catalogue from a torrent site and stick it into my iTunes without paying for a subscription. Anything I can't download I just buy and put it on the good fashioned way of popping into my cd player and then transferring it to my library.

Old fashioned bassa :lol: It's the best way. Flying to Dublin recently I panicked that I'd need to listen to Polish being spoken all flight (which gets annoying tae fukk after a while)... then noticed I'd downloaded a whack of tunes to the memory card. Problem solved.

Often get a subscription to Spotify as it's on every device I use. Buy one from the Polish eBay for a quid a month. :ok:

It's $10 in the States though (I've just checked this) - at the current exchange rate that's an extra £43 a year - for the same service.

Aye but they have to pay transport costs to get the music over here.....

Old fashioned bassa :lol: It's the best way. Flying to Dublin recently I panicked that I'd need to listen to Polish being spoken all flight (which gets annoying tae fukk after a while)... then noticed I'd downloaded a whack of tunes to the memory card. Problem solved.

Often get a subscription to Spotify as it's on every device I use. Buy one from the Polish eBay for a quid a month. :ok:

subscriptions and joining any type of club gives me the heebeegeebees

Aye, might sign up for three-month trial, but after that... I read somewhere it's $10 a month in the States (this could be incorrect) - Apple seem to make a habit of straight $ to £ conversions.

It's $10 in the States though (I've just checked this) - at the current exchange rate that's an extra £43 a year - for the same service.

The cost on the Japanese store after the trial will be ¥980 per month...That's 5.16 GBP :whistling:

I dont have Apple streaming but I did pay for iTunes Match which is a complete train wreck and they are effectively stealing my money. Problem is when you're in it, you're in it. I spent hours over the years copying my CDs and this piece of cr@p has wrecked it......

thank you for letting me share.................