Best Group - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

41 quid for the Academy :yikes3:. I wouldn't pay that to see a Hookless NO - that and Brandon Flowers involvement in the new album are enough to put me off.

I generally agree with you post Low Life, but Technique is a favourite of mine - there's a great run of three tracks on it (start of side 2 - I bought it on LP - ah, those were the days...).

I seen NO in the Academy a few years back. Up there with the most disappointing gigs I've been to. Basically it was Hooky and Barney playing over a backing tape. I know a lot of electronic music is pre programmed but there were bits where you could hear the lead guitar and Barney wasn't even on the stage!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 quid for the Academy :yikes3:. I wouldn't pay that to see a Hookless NO - that and Brandon Flowers involvement in the new album are enough to put me off.

I generally agree with you post Low Life, but Technique is a favourite of mine - there's a great run of three tracks on it (start of side 2 - I bought it on LP - ah, those were the days...).

It's £22 for Hooky but they're doing a Joy Division set followed by them playing Low Life and Brotherhood.

I'd take this or this anyday.

Peter Hook is a #####.

I seen NO in the Academy a few years back. Up there with the most disappointing gigs I've been to. Basically it was Hooky and Barney playing over a backing tape. I know a lot of electronic music is pre programmed but there were bits where you could hear the lead guitar and Barney wasn't even on the stage!

Their gig at the Barras in 2000/01 was probably in my Top 3. They were outstanding and even done an encore which is unlike them.

Technique has some superb tracks on it and is definitely the best of their later work.

Rolling Stones been mentioned yet ?

No.2 after AC/DC for me.

Aye.

They wouldn't make my top five favourite groups, but for their longevity, influence, musical ability throughout the band (in their 60s / early 70s heyday) and run of albums from Beggars to Exile (although Between the Buttons is a personal favourite) I'd award it to them.

Totally predicable, I kno, but the Beatles absolutely have to be contenders.

I'm also amazed no-one has mentioned the Who.

Little Feat if we're going for Americans; the Band if we're going for Canadians

maybe the who in 60/70s

any genuine fans that watched glastonbury must have been cringing

Never been a fan of The Beatles. I don't dislike them just find them a bit dull.

Prefer The Stones, The Who, Queen and still have a soft spot for Madness from my youth.

Found my musical tastes growing as I've got older too and have recently been getting in to Bob Marley. Might just be the sunshine.....