National Lottery - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Guest flumax

Correct, but if 1,2,3,4,5,6 came out the jackpot would be shared amongst a much bigger group than if it were another "random" group of six numbers.

may or not be true. We don't know the frequency of all other combinations. Likely to be less I would assume. So fair point on bonkers based on potential returns Edited by flumax

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

may or not be true. We don't know the frequency of all other combinations. Likely to be less I would assume. So fair point on bonkers based on potential returns

Statistically you would expect a random distribution of number selections but that fails to take into account the human factor of people "choosing" numbers.

For the same reason it's better to avoid numbers below 31 due to people selecting birthdays and other anniversaries.

Statistically you would expect a random distribution of number selections but that fails to take into account the human factor of people "choosing" numbers.

For the same reason it's better to avoid numbers below 31 due to people selecting birthdays and other anniversaries.

You would be better avoiding any numbers and buy premium bonds instead. I find it very difficult to understand why so many folk keep on buying lottery tickets. I blame the education system.

You would be better avoiding any numbers and buy premium bonds instead. I find it very difficult to understand why so many folk keep on buying lottery tickets. I blame the education system.

Because they enjoy gambling, maybe? I enjoy a bet on the football/horses. I don't play the lottery but totally understand why folk do.

Because they enjoy gambling, maybe? I enjoy a bet on the football/horses. I don't play the lottery but totally understand why folk do.

I can understand how folk can enjoy a bet on stuff they are interested in like football/horses, but how can folk be interested in numbers coming out of a machine? Just seems weird to me.

I can understand how folk can enjoy a bet on stuff they are interested in like football/horses, but how can folk be interested in numbers coming out of a machine? Just seems weird to me.

It's because of the chance to win not just a few hundred or thousand but a few million. Yes most folk know in the back of there head the odds are stupidly high but when you see a prize of over 100 million then you just forget about the odds and have a go

It's hope. People are buying the hope of financial riches.

J

Its a couple of quid a go, with a chance (yes very unrealistic) of winning enough to set you and those you care about for life. If you look over the years at what you have spent on it and what you have returned you may cringe or think well that was a waste, but if you did that with everything you've ever spent money on then you'd live a miserable life.

It really depends on how you look at it. If you play 5 lines per week on the standard lottery, then after 40 years you have created a 1 in 1250 chance of winning the jackpot.....some would see that as a positive.

Personally I know a few folk who have won the jackpot, so it gives you a glimmer of hope it could one day be you.....however I'm realistic enough to realise I will likely never win it.

It really depends on how you look at it. If you play 5 lines per week on the standard lottery, then after 40 years you have created a 1 in 1250 chance of winning the jackpot.....some would see that as a positive.

Personally I know a few folk who have won the jackpot, so it gives you a glimmer of hope it could one day be you.....however I'm realistic enough to realise I will likely never win it.

No you haven't.

I would say only a tiny fraction of those who play the lotto actually watch the draws.

No you haven't. Every draw has the same odds. Someone playing every week for 40 years has the exact same chance as someone buying their first ever ticket for a draw, assuming they both buy the same number of lines for a draw.