Living Outside Scotland - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Living Outside Scotland

Aye, at this moment in time it is just a feeling that I need to go somewhere. Even if it is just for a few years.

Of all the English speaking countries I think Canada appeals the most to me, but that is just from talking to people and a general gut instinct. Been a few places in central europe - always liked the idea of trying germany or austria because I enjoy the culture there. I don't speak much of the lingo though, but I've always wanted to learn another language. Tbh it might just be a case of going wherever I can get work, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I lived in Banff and Vancouver for a year. Great quality of life and different enough of a culture for it to feel like an adventure. Go for it. Did a year in Oz, 9 years in London and just back from a year in Beijing but Vancouver was probably the most enjoyable. Best thing about moving abroad is not knowing anyone. It's liberating.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geneva, Mumbai, Prague, Mumbai again, Riyadh and now back in Glasgow 20 odd years after moving away. Don't know how long we will be staying for but grateful to have travelled and worked abroad and broaden the old horizons but also great being back. Not a reflection of any posters on here but some folks who have been abroad for a wee while either form a ridiculously romanticised view of Scotland but don't come back, or form a negative view (weather, anti-social behaviour, crime, whatever) and also don't come back. Everything is what you make it and we employ the same attitude to being in Glasgow as we did when off to a new city - embrace it, enjoy it (with the added advantage of having friends and family here) but don't necessarily see it as a permanent move.

As for pubs, Glasgow has some of the best pubs for eating, drinking, chilling (and taking your dog to) than many cities we have visited.......

Lived in Finland for a year back when I was a pup. I was there to learn how to run a new generator system that was going to be getting installed in our work... That took about 8 weeks, the rest of the time I spent at a pub which was at the top of an old ski jump and getting sooked off by a scouse bird who was there for the same reason as me... She wouldn't let me pump her as she had a boyfriend back home and that would be cheating.

they seemed to be even more racist than normai aussies back then - not sure if still same

nightlife was northbridge i think

I've relatives in Perth who emigrated in the early 60s. I was visiting in 2000 and one night we went to this really bizarre place. My cousin who's a couple of years younger than me told me beforehand it wasn't her idea to go.

It was a dinner theatre run by an old Jewish guy from Glasgow who had apparently been Andy Stewart's manager in the fifties. You got some dinner - which was rank - and then the show was a sort of cabaret with sketches and song and dance numbers. Apparently the place was closing down so they were doing a sort of "best of" the last thirty years.

I was literally open mouthed at some of the sketches, it was like a combination of Mind Your Language and Love Thy Neighbour. The locals were lapping it up entirely.

This was the guy.

week121kay.jpg

This and speaking to other people gave me a strong impression of fairly well ingrained racist attitudes in Western Australia.

Edited by aaid

Guest flumax

How the hell do you all do this? What you work in that facilitates the move? Not a bother Convincing significant others? Just dunno how to find new posts and make the leap.

Finding it hard to turn down current permanent job, sell the house, move the kids, for a short term contract which world be a punt. Been offered short posts in Rome, Brussels and Boston but caber bring myself to uproot for 18 month. Is that what you guys did?

Furthest I've lived is 4 years London as a postgraduate student and 3years in Yorkshire.

I also worked in Brno for just under a year... But I commuted and I was sacked just 3 weeks before making the move permanent. I still work for the same company only based out of Dundee/Glasgow now.

I've been sacked and rehired by them 8 times in 5 years.

Left Yorkshire in 1985 for Texas but moved on to Egypt within a year. Stayed in Cairo until 1991 then got work in Czechoslovakia. Managed to move countries there within a couple of years without budging an inch. Returned to Donny from Slovakia in 1997 to see if I was still employable in the UK. Turned out I was and stayed until 2009 getting so bored in the process I was driven to registering with the TAMB. Angola for the last six years and moving to Japan in a fortnight.

It's been a blast...

Left Yorkshire in 1985 for Texas but moved on to Egypt within a year. Stayed in Cairo until 1991 then got work in Czechoslovakia. Managed to move countries there within a couple of years without budging an inch. Returned to Donny from Slovakia in 1997 to see if I was still employable in the UK. Turned out I was and stayed until 2009 getting so bored in the process I was driven to registering with the TAMB. Angola for the last six years and moving to Japan in a fortnight.

It's been a blast...

Are you teaching English out there? I knew a couple that went over for a few years to teach English to Japanese kids about 25 years back - they were in Hiroshima and from what I remember when visiting them they really enjoyed it. Teachers generally seem to be revered by Japanese pupils/students and it seems to be a great country to be an expat in.

Edited by neilser

Are you teaching English out there? I knew a couple that went over for a few years to teach English to Japanese kids about 25 years back - they were in Hiroshima and from what I remember when visiting them they really enjoyed it. Teachers generally seem to be revered by Japanese pupils/students and it seems to be a great country to be an expat in.

Yeah, everything I've heard is good - should be interesting but a written language composed of three different scripts is a bit of a daunter. The wife's got this job and I'm playing trailing spouse for a bit but expect to pick up a teaching job (in Osaka) once we're settled.

The couple I knew picked up the katakana (not sure about the spelling) script fairly readily- it's closer to a western approach where the characters make individual sounds.The traditional script (kanji?) was difficult, but they managed to learn a few essentials. Transport signs always have the name in English, which definitely helps.

The transport system is great, especially the Shinkansen - if you're in Osaka you'll be able to whizz around to Tokyo, Hiroshima, Kyoto etc in only a few hours. Should be an excellent posting anyway.

Stayed in London for five years and was the best five years of ma puff. Fantastic city, fantastic people, so many different things to do and see that it's practically impossible to get bored.

The weather as well is usually great, from April to October, 9 times outta 10 its warm and dry. Moved back to Glasgow two months ago as a result of rents and with no chance of being able to buy a gaff and in comparison to London it's utter guff.

I'd certainly echo others sentiments and make a priority to live elsewhere. I was never encouraged to move away by parents and it never really crossed my mind, always thought id spend my days in Glasgow but the opportunity came and i never regretted it.

Edited by Mox

Does it take you long to adjust when you go to a new place? What do you think of Montenegro so far?

In my experience the worst thing you can do is compare it to where you have just come from, or even home. Be totally open to your new location on its own merits and you'll be fine. If you expect curries, pubs and deep fried mars bars then you are on the road to disappointment.

Montenegro is blooming gorgeous. The scenery is stunning, the mountains are beautiful, people are so welcoming and free internet everywhere. And it's been wall to wall sunshine (30 degrees plus) since the moment I arrived. And I'm writing this having a beer on my balcony.

Took a work transfer in 1997 to the Salisbury area, loved the job, Salisbury pubs, eating hooses etc and indeed the weather...but now is the time to come back. House sold subject to contract so looking forward to being a Grandad for the first time :shocked:

Took a work transfer in 1997 to the Salisbury area, loved the job, Salisbury pubs, eating hooses etc and indeed the weather...but now is the time to come back. House sold subject to contract so looking forward to being a Grandad for the first time :shocked:

I'm going to Salisbury next month. Decent boozers?

I also worked in Brno for just under a year... But I commuted and I was sacked just 3 weeks before making the move permanent. I still work for the same company only based out of Dundee/Glasgow now.

I've been sacked and rehired by them 8 times in 5 years.

Do you work for sociopaths? I hope they at least pay you well! (Had to google Brno btw, never heard of it before)

Stayed in London for five years and was the best five years of ma puff. Fantastic city, fantastic people, so many different things to do and see that it's practically impossible to get bored.

The weather as well is usually great, from April to October, 9 times outta 10 its warm and dry. Moved back to Glasgow two months ago as a result of rents and with no chance of being able to buy a gaff and in comparison to London it's utter guff.

I'd certainly echo others sentiments and make a priority to live elsewhere. I was never encouraged to move away by parents and it never really crossed my mind, always thought id spend my days in Glasgow but the opportunity came and i never regretted it.

Is London worth it if you don't earn a fortune? I've warmed to the idea since I found out it is actually a pretty left-of-centre stronghold, although Michelle Mone has put a dent in that.

In my experience the worst thing you can do is compare it to where you have just come from, or even home. Be totally open to your new location on its own merits and you'll be fine. If you expect curries, pubs and deep fried mars bars then you are on the road to disappointment.

Montenegro is blooming gorgeous. The scenery is stunning, the mountains are beautiful, people are so welcoming and free internet everywhere. And it's been wall to wall sunshine (30 degrees plus) since the moment I arrived. And I'm writing this having a beer on my balcony.

This is exactly the reason I asked - Montenegro is not a place I would have thought of really, but it sounds magic.

I'm going to Salisbury next month. Decent boozers?

Our main boozer used to be the Deacons which sadly closed last week due to leasing problems. I have had a few beers today with Frank who own the building (he is from Barrhead) who says hopefull it will be back up and running soon, it's also near the Station.

The Wyndham Arms is a Real Ale pub...home of Hopback Beers.

The Winchester Gate is a place for local bands on a weekend.

We stay away from the ones in the middle of the town as they are expensive catching the Cathedral/Stonehenge visitors etc.

I have never lived anywhere else. None of my friends of similar age from school, growing up etc ever talked about going travelling and it wasn't something that i was particularly bothered about doing either with friends or by myself. I do have some older friends and a few cousins etc who have done a fair bit of travelling, Australia, America, Europe for example, one of my friends lived in Dubai for a while also and now he's in Manila. My girlfriend also spent a few years in Dublin and Australia. Any plans to travel would have been well and truly scuppered for me when i knocked up the girl next door (true story) :yikes3: , also as others have mentioned i was reluctant to just give up my job and fook off as i thought it was too good for me to just chuck it in. I have been working in the same place since i left school 15 years ago and now earn £50k+ a year so have probably justified my decision not to go anywhere for that reason alone. I own 2 houses and drive a nice car and get to travel a lot following Scotland as well as going my regular holidays, not the same as living elsewhere i know but i'm happy with the way things have turned out for me although i have to admit i'm a wee bit jealous of those who have experienced living and working elsewhere. Who know's, maybe one day my circumstances may change and i might get to travel with work or i might have a mid-life crisis and just say "AM GON", either that or I will do more travelling when i'm retired, it's never too late after all. :D

What made move was the ending of the job I had been on. Had a look in the local area but there was nothing in my field. Tried a UK search and a job came up. Only put in for it at first to keep the dole happy but ended up being offered the job there and then at the interview. Basically had 2 weeks to get myself ready to move and find somewhere to stay while I looked for a flat. Don't see me returning to Ayrshire anytime soon apart from visits feel quite at home here now. Was anxious of the reception I would get when I moved as Cambridge seemed posh and we are close to London but so far folk have been great. Had many a laugh once the realise I don't mind a bit of good antiscottish banter and so far have not had anyone being nasty about me being Scottish. Might have to look at moving again as I've had enough of where I work (bad management as apposed to anything else) so would mean moving to Birmingham area or north to Tyne and weir area. The only downside of my job is its still a bit of a neesh area (robot welding) and jobs can be few and far between or companies don't realise the importance of the role and pay peanuts

In my experience the worst thing you can do is compare it to where you have just come from, or even home. Be totally open to your new location on its own merits and you'll be fine.

Sound advice that, in my experience. Go with an open mind uncluttered by expectations.