Living Outside Scotland - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Living Outside Scotland

Moved to Lincoln 28 years ago and love the place. It's a beautiful City with a beautiful Cathedral and Castle. Been married to a local girl for 24 years now and got 2 kids (21 & 17).

Like others have said , the drinking culture is different down here. Pubs are family friendly , do nice meals and I love the choice of real ales.

The climate is the big thing for me. I don't miss the rain that the West of Scotland gets.

People are friendly and plenty of Scots down here due to a lot of RAF bases (Bomber County).

I still get back up the road 2 or 3 times a year. It's a 4 hour drive or train journey.

Can't see myself ever moving back to Scotland as life is too good here :ok:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot the craw when I was 25 and 14 years later its safe to say I won't be back. Love visiting Scotland though and it will always be my home.

My job(s) have taken me to Hungary, China, Northern Marianas Islands, Philippines, Cambodia & Vietnam. Been in Philippines now for 8 years and this will be my base camp going forward.

It's a big world out there and if you have transferable skills then there is nothing stopping you. If it's not for you then you can always come back.

Do you work for sociopaths? I hope they at least pay you well! (Had to google Brno btw, never heard of it before)

Is London worth it if you don't earn a fortune? I've warmed to the idea since I found out it is actually a pretty left-of-centre stronghold, although Michelle Mone has put a dent in that.

This is exactly the reason I asked - Montenegro is not a place I would have thought of really, but it sounds magic.

It certainly is worth it aye. The rent and the transport are the two most expensive things, everything else is comparable to Glasgow/Edinburgh. You may have to consider living a little bit further out in zone 5 or 6, but with the 24 hour tube coming into play in September that would make it even easier to home and into central London.

Do you work for sociopaths?

:lol:

Don't we all? Nah, I just work in an industry where projects are started and stopped often and because the majority of staff are contracted per job if your project gets shutdown or restructured your contract will be terminated. Oh what I wouldn't do for major TU support.

To be honest I am mid, cough, thirties, cough and very keen to move away from Scotland, main reason is the weather, wife from overseas and really hates it with a passion.

Also keen to find out how things work elsewhere, expand horizons etc. Aim to go to middle est first, then onto north America, probably Texas. Should be good for the bairn too. ?

To be honest I am mid, cough, thirties, cough and very keen to move away from Scotland, main reason is the weather, wife from overseas and really hates it with a passion.

Also keen to find out how things work elsewhere, expand horizons etc. Aim to go to middle est first, then onto north America, probably Texas. Should be good for the bairn too. ?

have lived here in Bournemouth for 22 years now the weather is good most of the times not bad yesterday 23c that's the one thing l could not handle back in Scotland is the weather has it not rained all summer? Any way not a bad place to live takes a wee while to get on with the folk from the south there are quite insular people at times

Melbourne 4 years (Love it), prior to that 2-3 years in Manchester (Loved it). 1 Year out prior to OZ touring whole of SE Asia on a Shoestring.

Wish I'd done it when I was younger, 45 now, and have a job I really love, and this City is amazing.

We are in a quandry what to do for the future, still have ma hoose back hame, and this was just meant to be a 2-3 year mid life crisis adventure.

Can't see us back for a few years yet.

Lived in London for 5 years (great place to be a young, single bloke), Dublin for 2 years (ditto), Stamford Ct. for about 6 months. All good, I'd very much recommend trying other places, certainly when young. Can't say that any of them really offered much that Edinburgh doesn't, but it was good to see them and meet other people. The one thing that never struck me was that the weather was appreciably better much of the time than is it in Edinburgh, other than a few months of summer in Ct. I know it is warmer in London, but I just don't think it was sufficiently so to notice at the time. Have considered moving to Australia (both of us have the 'points') or the States (my wife has a Green card) but, when it came down to it, neither of us really wanted to do it, not least due to family. That said, we have bought a place in Spain and will probably either retire out there or at least spend a fair bit of the year there when we do.

Edited by Pool Q

As crushing last September was,it helped waking up on the next day to a nice sunny day in the harbour city knowing I'm an Australian citizen where my adopted countrymen and women treat their sovereignity with the gravitas it deserves.

By letting the queen sack a prime minister? in 1975?

Aye, at this moment in time it is just a feeling that I need to go somewhere. Even if it is just for a few years.

Of all the English speaking countries I think Canada appeals the most to me, but that is just from talking to people and a general gut instinct. Been a few places in central europe - always liked the idea of trying germany or austria because I enjoy the culture there. I don't speak much of the lingo though, but I've always wanted to learn another language. Tbh it might just be a case of going wherever I can get work, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'd recommend Canada too it's great, west coast for sure.

Our main boozer used to be the Deacons which sadly closed last week due to leasing problems. I have had a few beers today with Frank who own the building (he is from Barrhead) who says hopefull it will be back up and running soon, it's also near the Station.

The Wyndham Arms is a Real Ale pub...home of Hopback Beers.

The Winchester Gate is a place for local bands on a weekend.

We stay away from the ones in the middle of the town as they are expensive catching the Cathedral/Stonehenge visitors etc.

Frank is my Uncle. Small world.

Lived in Lithuania around 2005 for two years while freelancing. Best thing I did - got the travel bug. Decided on LT after going via Vilnius for the Belarus game.

After 3 years back in Glasgow, I buggered off to Malta for another two years. Job then took me to Spain for a year then moved to Krakow & Katowice for a year.

Job took me back to Malta and now no plans to move away from here.

Got lucky with Scotland games - while I was away, we've played in Lithuania, twice in Poland and we've now drawn Malta :)

Would recommend it to anyone thinking about making a move.

Yeah, everything I've heard is good - should be interesting but a written language composed of three different scripts is a bit of a daunter. The wife's got this job and I'm playing trailing spouse for a bit but expect to pick up a teaching job (in Osaka) once we're settled.

Derekfaejapan on here teaches English in Japan. He's home for a couple of weeks just now, but loves Japan.

Edited by Glasgowmancity

By letting the queen sack a prime minister? in 1975?

It was worse than that, it was the Govener General who sacked Gough Whitlam. Lizzie didn't know much about it.

Seemingly there was a bit of a stooshie at the time, but not enough to stop the Aussies electing a PM who wasn't trying to stand up to the Americans in the subsequent GE.

He had to travel all the way across the world to find a woman where he could touch the sides.

:lol:

Just wait, after that comment he'll be sending you mental PM's over here and facebook giving you abuse.

It was worse than that, it was the Govener General who sacked Gough Whitlam. Lizzie didn't know much about it.

Seemingly there was a bit of a stooshie at the time, but not enough to stop the Aussies electing a PM who wasn't trying to stand up to the Americans in the subsequent GE.

I know my good man, I was just writing a pithy response. his power resided in the Queen though Sir John Kerr. Later on none of the principles stories really match up either.

Now just touching two years here in Chicago. My job has in those two years taken me across half a dozen states while I've holidayed in others. I'm now upto 14 different states with a plan to visit them all across 5 years. In these two years I've already flew back to Scotland twice and Germany and Ireland too.

Spent 3 years in rural south Taiwan (teaching English) and loved it. Also a year in Hong Kong which was fantastic back then (late 90s) but like it less and less every time I'm back...

Been there three times in the last year and liked it less each time. Very exciting the first time, lost a lot of the novelty the second time and the lack of space did my head in the third time. The view of the skyline from the pier is something else though.

Seeing lots of posts about people living all over the world - how does the language barrier come into play? Or is that rarely an issue? I don't speak any other languages so in my head I'd always thought if I emigrated anywhere, it would have to be to an English-speaking country.