Living Outside Scotland - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Living Outside Scotland

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing lots of posts about people living all over the world - how does the language barrier come into play? Or is that rarely an issue? I don't speak any other languages so in my head I'd always thought if I emigrated anywhere, it would have to be to an English-speaking country.

You just point.

Been there three times in the last year and liked it less each time. Very exciting the first time, lost a lot of the novelty the second time and the lack of space did my head in the third time. The view of the skyline from the pier is something else though.

It's the pollution that gets me. And the feeling it's becoming just another Chinese city...

Seeing lots of posts about people living all over the world - how does the language barrier come into play? Or is that rarely an issue? I don't speak any other languages so in my head I'd always thought if I emigrated anywhere, it would have to be to an English-speaking country.

Hugely, and I'm in a supposed English speaking country. No er here wants to understand anyone that doesn't speak "Yoonited States man!"

Hugely, and I'm in a supposed English speaking country. No er here wants to understand anyone that doesn't speak "Yoonited States man!"

What nationalities do you get mistaken for?

I spent a summer in New York state, been on holiday a few times, and been to Canada a few times to visit family.

Most folk went for Irish (even been mistaken by actual Irish people for being Irish - a group of guys from Sligo convinced I was from Dundalk, and a guy and his g/f thought I was from Dublin, WTF yet I sound like Christian Dailly), but had some baffling guesses not the English speaking places of Australia/NZ, South Africa, or England, but also had a series of eastern European nations too including ex Yugoslavia, Russia, Ukraine, Georgia (very specific) and Moldova/Romania. I was in NY so maybe these were areas where there's large immigrant areas, but found it hilarious.

Wasn't surprised by Irish nor NZ/SA etc, but the rest, yes.

Got some great repsones though. Drank with an 'Irish' American who thought Scotland was part of Ireland, and another woman who had been to Scotland (then continuted to inter mingle between Scotland/Ireland as being the same place) and 'drove to Inverness from Cork' and it took 5hrs.

I spent a summer in New York state, been on holiday a few times, and been to Canada a few times to visit family.

Most folk went for Irish (even been mistaken by actual Irish people for being Irish - a group of guys from Sligo convinced I was from Dundalk, and a guy and his g/f thought I was from Dublin, WTF yet I sound like Christian Dailly), but had some baffling guesses not the English speaking places of Australia/NZ, South Africa, or England, but also had a series of eastern European nations too including ex Yugoslavia, Russia, Ukraine, Georgia (very specific) and Moldova/Romania. I was in NY so maybe these were areas where there's large immigrant areas, but found it hilarious.

Got some great repsones though. Drank with an 'Irish' American who thought Scotland was part of Ireland, and another woman who had been to Scotland (then continuted to inter mingle between Scotland/Ireland as being the same place) and 'drove to Inverness from Cork' and it took 5hrs.

When o was in Canada I got asked if I was American,English,Irish,Welsh,Canadian and occasionally Scottish.

There is a language barrier of course, but if you are motivated to learn the local lingo, then you will. A lot of people would be surprised how fun and quick it can be learning a language.

Aye, when you're actually in the country, you do pick it up quickly. Of course, having the basics before you go helps immeasurably.

He had to travel all the way across the world to find a woman where he could touch the sides.

:-)) Did you nick that one from Brant Grebner?

I spent 2 years in Budapest and a year in Bratislava. As with others I'd definitely recommend living abroad for longer than holiday time and immersing yourself in local languages and cultures that are a bit alien to our own.

I remember feeling really homesick at first, but after going back for a weekend and discovering we'd missed nothing much it really got that out of your system and you enjoyed being away all the more.

It helped that I was moved by my company with partner too (same company) and didn't have to go through a full relocation.

My brother has done that though, after meeting a German girl in Glasgow he decided to relocate and raise their family near Berlin. He very much loves the lifestyle and I doubt he'll return (cheap holidays for me though :)).

Edited by Toepoke

I've had it all here and it's not just a few. Most folk I speak to do not have any decent grasp of Geography. It happens daily to me. 99% of the time I am asked if I am Irish. The thing is I sound nothing like that. My accent is very guttery Scottish if you like and even when speaking in standard English I admit I do have that rrrrrrr thing going on. I'll be asked if I'm Irish and when I ask them to have another guess, telling them that I come from the next country adjacent to Ireland they will answer with shite like Australia or New Zealand. Germany I get a lot also and English a lot too. I NEVER get Scotland. Which I would understand if I had an Inversneckie accent as theirs is quite pure and proper.

I also get like you the questions about Ireland and Scotland being the same nation. They'll then ask what is the difference to which I'll reply with, well, they are two seperate countries. That's the difference. I get asked things like how long would it take to cycle across the border from Scotland to Ireland. Also being continually asked why Scotland like Ireland never joined up to fight in both World wars. :angry:

Edited by Ormond

That's no the case (in the most part) in New York City. The ones I spoke to were clued up.

I've noticed the further down the country I travel they get it. Also, it seems strange but children around Chicago and the Midwest seem to get my accent more than the adults do.

• 4 weeks later...

Our main boozer used to be the Deacons which sadly closed last week due to leasing problems. I have had a few beers today with Frank who own the building (he is from Barrhead) who says hopefull it will be back up and running soon, it's also near the Station.

The Wyndham Arms is a Real Ale pub...home of Hopback Beers.

The Winchester Gate is a place for local bands on a weekend.

We stay away from the ones in the middle of the town as they are expensive catching the Cathedral/Stonehenge visitors etc.

I see Deacon's is back trading - just need to find out Thursday opening time.

I see Deacon's is back trading - just need to find out Thursday opening time.

Yip reopened last week, I was in yesterday to check it out..... it has had a good clean and a lick of paint. Nipped in on passing today and the lass behind the bar said they are opening at midday Thursdays and over the weekend on a trial basis.

Yip reopened last week, I was in yesterday to check it out..... it has had a good clean and a lick of paint. Nipped in on passing today and the lass behind the bar said they are opening at midday Thursdays and over the weekend on a trial basis.

:ok:

Just a pity it doesn't open a bit earlier - I should arrive in Salisbury about 10 (if not slightly earlier) - looks like it'll have to be a spot of breakfast somewhere and a visit to the Cathedral until the pubs open...

Edited by Charlie Endell