The Bus - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch!

Had a stint on it yesterday so driving out of the question - ventured out to get the 6 - 15 minutes late - "Two pounds please" - silence - "Is the machine not working?" - silence - eventually he made the effort to press a button on the machine. Not a word uttered.

I'm on megabus from Newcastle to London overnight on way to Georgia match. Six quid - would have cost around 100 on train. Unfortunately I place value over comfort.

Most miserable transport for me is the hovercraft from Dover to Calais years ago. No hot drinks allowed as its too bouncy and you cant see out the window for the spray.

Think a lot depends on the company running the service. Lothian Buses, for example, is excellent - on time and clean, modern buses. First Bus, by and large, is awful. Old, creaky, cold, smelly buses. Jakies pervade both though, but quite often are great entertainment on the way home. After years of listening to them I still wonder at their lack of volume control, and their desire to tell everyone, from toddlers to pensioners, about their sex lives and fighting abilities.

Buses are expensive. I used to be around 40% less in fuel than I would be in bus. £7-£8 for a return that cost me £4.50 in fuel. I never used the bus unless wad connecting point for Scotland trip of ironically to pick up a new car. Twice a year use a bus maybe.