The Bus - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rubbish! The clockwork orange is a gem. Admittedly, things can go downhill a bit depending on where you alight, but it is a fast, relatively inexpensive method of getting around the city (the inner section of it anyway). I actually think it his high time they expanded it.

On a side note, apparently Glasgow is one of the largest cities in Europe not to have some kind of integrated ticketing system for its public transport. I'd certainly hate to be a non-Weegie attempting to get around the city by bus. High time that was addressed too, IMO.

Last year I was up in Glasgow for a weekend for the first time in 10 years. I could not believe how much Glasgow has improved over the last decade, great places to eat, great bars and other watering holes. Also seems a lot more ' grown up' than what I remembered from my early 20s. Then I got on the subway, just as grim as I remember. It appears the mouth breathing lobotomy victims have just been going round in a circle for the last 10 years.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the bus from Dunfermline to Glasgow yesterday for Sole Bloc. Busy bus, got a couple of the last few seats. 4 females, same family, oldest about 50, probably 3 of them mums, all got on after me, only single seats available. Proceeded to stomp up and down bus shouting about there not being enough seats. Anyway they all ended up seated but apart and held a conversation across the bus. I zoned out of most of it as they were quite a bit behind me but did here the following, shouted....."ASBO", "BANGED UP ABROAD" and "69. MY FAVOURITE NUMBER". FFS.

I am sure someone behind me was having a 3 courser. Positive I smelt a tikka style food at one point then followed by roast chicken. No need. Especially as I hadn't had my breakfast.

Someone eating a fish supper makes me sick.FTR I like fish suppers ,it's just folk eating them on busses.

One thing worse than the bus is a replacement bus. Went to buy a return train ticket from Central to Uddingston yesterday for my lift to Dundee. Looked for the platform the train was leaving from only to see "cancelled". Replacement bus from Gorddon Street. At no point did anyone in the ticket office crack a light that there were no trains running. Lack of communication is awful. The replacement bus was a stinking ramshackle bus and when the driver arrived at Uddingston, fortunately only 15 minutes longer than the train would have taken, the driver proceeded to knock a signpost over. Hate buses and yet I have booked fecking Megabus to Aberdeen on Sunday for the Killie game.

Glasgow to Prague on Eurolines in '99 was by far my worst travel experience. Got the London bus on Friday night and arrived in Prague Sunday morning - a couple of pints and then went to my bed for the day.

I did the London - Prague bus a few time in the early '90s - utter hell. As it happens the post I filled when I first worked out there was vacated by a bloke being killed when the bus crashed in Belgium.

I did the London - Prague bus a few time in the early '90s - utter hell. As it happens the post I filled when I first worked out there was vacated by a bloke being killed when the bus crashed in Belgium.

The same bus? :blink: Hard to believe that could just be coincidence.

Aye, that was one of the worst bits about it - it didn't even go straight to Prague - I remember being exasperated after travelling very slowly up a cobbled street in Belgium for yet another pick up. Never again.

I very rarely use the bus, last time I did, it was pretty grim.

Immediate first impression was the utter contempt the driver had for folk who didn't know the correct fare like myself. I didn't realise i had to do research to get on the bus.

I'm not sure if it's a chicken and egg scenario with the miserable rude drivers? Is spending every day on the bus what made them like that, or are they why the bus is so terrible.

Trains are by no means perfect, but at least they make some sort of attempt to run to a timetable. Buses just come when they come, sometimes on convoy, sometimes an hour apart.

After the Italy game in 2005 I had to use a night coach to get to Stoke for my mates wedding on the Sunday – it took 13 hours but thought I could sleep. That was until the two folk sat in front of me met across the aisle, completely hit it off as both were half jaked then spent the night either havering pish or fiddling with each other. She was the size of a rugby player and her gyrating about the place kept knocking my fold up tables down so had no chance of sleeping.

Lothian Bus service is excellent. Very few places in Edinburgh that I can't get to fairly easily. Love the bus app for smart phones too, means I can maximise my time in the pub and avoid long waits at the bus stop.

Edited by Pool Q

Vilnius -> Dublin for 24 hours -> Vilnius. Took 6 days in total. Loved it.

Would only take a bus in Glasgow if the trains were off. Then I'd consider a taxi or just walking it.

Micro-buses in eastern Europe are 10x better than the buses in Glasgow. On time, stop exactly where you want off and cheap.

It must be a bus driver thing why are they so fecking rude gave a bus driver a five pound note over the weekend and the look on his fecking face was unbelievable you would have thought that l had shite coming oot my ears will be a long time before l am back on a bus that's for sure can you imagine these bus drivers working in say John Lewis with there wonderful communication skills they would not last 2 minutes

I find there's nothing wrong with the actual vehicle itself, whether it's bus,train,subway whatever. The problem with public transport is sharing it with the public, most of whom are strangers to soap and manners. Unless the weather is brutal,I'll take a half hour walk over five minutes on a local bus every single time.

On a side note, apparently Glasgow is one of the largest cities in Europe not to have some kind of integrated ticketing system for its public transport. I'd certainly hate to be a non-Weegie attempting to get around the city by bus. High time that was addressed too, IMO.

Agreed. Was in Berlin the other day, 3 Euros gets you a ticket to travel anywhere in the city by bus, train or U-Hahn for 2 hours til you complete your journey...

• 4 months later...