Only A No Vote Secures Shipbuilding In Scotland - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Only A No Vote Secures Shipbuilding In Scotland

I warned so many people before the referendum that retribution would be served if we voted No, but even I'm stunned at how blatant this is.

This piece of news, for me, gets right to the heart of the independence issue. Before we voted in September we shouldn't have been asking 'will I be richer' or even necessarily 'will Scotland be richer' but 'who is more likely to do the right thing for Scotland'.

Before the vote I was certain the answer wasn't Westminster and it is becoming increasingly, glaringly obvious that I was right.

An intresting blog,

http://ukarmedforcescommentary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/type-26-and-credibility.html?showComment=1415741342208&m=1

Cool your jets guys, from defence news.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20141109/DEFREG01/311090024/Britain-Struggles-Costs-New-Frigates

"Peter Roberts, the naval analyst at the Royal United Services Institute, said that with the UK government continuing to place sovereignty at the heart of defense policy, going overseas would be a very difficult option.

The MoD would place itself in a difficult position as outsourcing the build of surface combatants outside the UK or using a foreign surface combatant design inside the UK would be a significant step change for the Royal Navy and the government, Roberts said."

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

Has anyone stopped for a moment to consider the story is utter bull shit?

J

Most stories in the papers fall into that category! However what it does show yet again is that Scottish votes are irrelevant to the Tory party who feasibly could spin shipbuilding in France as a good deal for the UK taxpayer. Added bonus being that Labour get a good kicking from disgruntled supporters at the next election.

I was thinking about this this morning. If David Cameron had recognised the desire in Scotland for more self government, gone for a devo max vs indy referendum, he'd have got 70% for devo max, given the people what they actually want at this point in time and dealt the nationalists a crushing blow. Instead he only narrowly won by promising an undefined form of extra devo that will inevitably turn out to be a mess, making a rod for the union's back, whilst the nationalists have bounced back reinvigorated, waiting to pounce on his next show of weakness.

He might think he's played this cleverly as evidenced by his referendum win, but it seems to me a short term win won through tactics, not strategy, and the strategy is built on foundations of sand.

Wish the SNP would stop reacting to headlines, nothing has happened yet, they really should learn to hold fire at times.

That doesn't matter - we were told it wasn't even an option but it is. That is enough to react to

That doesn't matter - we were told it wasn't even an option but it is. That is enough to react to

I know that, you know that but if there's one thing we've learned from the referendum it's this. If the Clyde gets the contract the media will twist the SNP's comments as reactionary scaremongering.

Alex Salmond has written to Cameron for an explanation if he dithers at all in his reply then the shit can really start to fly.

• 2 weeks later...