92,000 Snp Members - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And well on course for smashing the 100,000 barrier as well.

Can't be far off being the second largest party in the UK in terms of membership. And to think the BBC are doing all that they can to treat the SNP as a minority party when it comes to election debates next year.

I read somewhere the Tories have 134,000 members

What would you prefer that has actually got a chance of making any change

I'd rather 92,000 people joined a party who were interested in positive social change and working on a fairer society. SNP policy is aimed at aiding corporate at the expense of public service & the working class.

And to think the BBC are doing all that they can to treat the SNP as a minority party when it comes to election debates next year.

Likely to be the case as long as they are just a Scottish-issue party (even if they ran in every seat in UK).

Is the question of broadcasting negotiable in the devo bill?

Edited by exile

I'd rather 92,000 people joined a party who were interested in positive social change and working on a fairer society. SNP policy is aimed at aiding corporate at the expense of public service & the working class.

Which party?

I wouldn't advocate SSP while Colin Fox is leader.

And therein lies the problem. I think the parties where many of those who joined the SNP would naturally lie have to take much of the responsibility not those who have joined the SNP as tey see it as the only party with the actual power to do anything. And maybe just maybe these people will change the party?

This is mince to be fair and currently the Scottish Labour party's waffle at the moment

The SNP had a "proposal" in the white paper to reduce the rate of Corporation Tax in Scotland

The argument was that this would encourage more Companies to Scotland, boost the economy and increase employment meaning more tax revenue for a Scottish Treasury - money that could then be spent on public services and the like

This is mince to be fair and currently the Scottish Labour party's waffle at the moment

The SNP had a "proposal" in the white paper to reduce the rate of Corporation Tax in Scotland

The argument was that this would encourage more Companies to Scotland, boost the economy and increase employment meaning more tax revenue for a Scottish Treasury - money that could then be spent on public services and the like

Behave yourself chap. Just because you don't agree does not make it mince. Laffers theory has been in practice for over 40 years and has NEVER worked the way the SNP said it would. In fact it lead to further inequality and only shareholders benefitted.

Have a wee squatch at the SNP's budget draft, does that look like the actions of a socially progressive party?

Greens, SSP, even RESPECT would be better than the SNP to be fair. On the far left spectrum you have the various communist parties, SCP, Communist party of Britain.

I wouldn't advocate SSP while Colin Fox is leader.

So, not the SSP then.

That leaves us with Greens, RESPECT, SCP, Communist Party of Britain.

Which of them would lead quickest to an Independent Scotland?

Edited by Flure

Which of them would lead quickest to an Independent Scotland?

I quite fancy being out of the EU, but I wouldn't join UKIP arguably the quickest way to achieve this.

I can't put my name to a party that cuts funding to public services and councils while protecting the interests of capital, it goes against everything I stand for politically.

I can't put my name to a party that cuts funding to public services and councils while protecting the interests of capital, it goes against everything I stand for politically.

Again mince

Any Scottish Government budget regardless of party is confined to the money it gets back from Westminster

How are the SNP protecting the interest of capital when they are continuing to maintain their policies on council tax, prescriptions, personal care and ensuring the NHS is ringfenced from cuts to the best of their abilities etc ?

Not forgetting the Scottish Parliament at the moment has very little worthwhile control over anything apart from robbing peter to pay paul

A Scottish Government can only be the progressive one we want it to be with Independence

Donald Trump debacle.

It all depends on where you sit, something is only "near" or "far" relative to where you are. So if someone doesn't like Capital at all, then they can be seen to be far, but someone who doesn't view it as strongly, the position will be nearer.

Edited by phart

Again mince

Any Scottish Government budget regardless of party is confined to the money it gets back from Westminster

How are the SNP protecting the interest of capital when they are continuing to maintain their policies on council tax, prescriptions, personal care and ensuring the NHS is ringfenced from cuts to the best of their abilities etc ?

Not forgetting the Scottish Parliament at the moment has very little worthwhile control over anything apart from robbing peter to pay paul

A Scottish Government can only be the progressive one we want it to be with Independence

Have you read their budget draft?