Accused Of Running A Red Light - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Accused Of Running A Red Light

My mate was in a similar position and decided to go to court - surprisingly, the court took John Law's word over his. Sadly, think you may need to take this one on the chin.

Thing is, amber means stop as well unless you're over the white stop line when it changes from green to amber.

Don't think that is right. I can't see how you have to stop if you are a meter from the white line for example. Surely it means stop if you are within safe stopping distance What is the point of amber if that is the case you might as well just go straight to red :unsure:

Don't think that is right. I can't see how you have to stop if you are a meter from the white line for example. Surely it means stop if you are within safe stopping distance What is the point of amber if that is the case you might as well just go straight to red :unsure:

I think you are supposed to stop unless it's dangerous to do so e.g. the car behind is right up your jacksie.

Traffic Light Signals

RED means ‘Stop’. Wait behind the stop line on the carriageway

RED AND AMBER also means ‘Stop’. Do not pass through or start until GREEN shows

GREEN means you may go on if the way is clear. Take special care if you intend to turn left or right and give way to pedestrians who are crossing

AMBER means ‘Stop’ at the stop line. You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident

amber you should stop if you can. Red you should definitely have stopped cause you had a few seconds of amber as a warning.

in Canada, amber generally means speed up before it changes to red...

and yes, folk are generally up your jacksie

- the back page of the old highway code had a safe breaking distance chart/diagram ; whole concept is lost on them here

add the powerful motors, automatic transmission , texting,drinking (think britain 70s)dodgy weather/roads etc.....

The uk must be one of the most draconian places for driving. But it's much safer for it. I actually feel uncomfortable with the amount of rules you need to think about over there after a few years of European style 'interpretation' of the rules.

Anyway, you lot need to get a dashcam and you wouldn't have any of these problems. And you'd have a lot of class YouTube entertainment to upload and earn cash from. Win-win.

Edited by thewelk

Uk Laws are very fair. It's all about safety, AMBER does mean STOP, but you are not against the law for going through one as it does mean Caution STOP, and you are allowed to go through it only if it may unsafe to stop suddenly and cause an accident - so someone above ^^^ has their wires crossed - doing an emergency stop on an Amber with a car up your behind would cause an accident, so its the best judgement to go through.

Armchair Bob, in Oz, at a crossroad junction, if you cross the line to turn right, an oncoming vehicles are jumping the amber preventing you from turning, YOU will be fined $386 (almost £200) for having rear wheels over the line and in no mans land, if your lights have turned RED during the wait.

The idea of this is to stop congestion.

Found out the hard way :angry: Victoria fines are nothing but a total money spinner.

Anyways, I'd pay the fine, get over it and forget about it. What was the Fuquing rush anyway - You know yer GUILTY as charged !! :sing::sing:

My wife was in the Police for 2.5 years before a bad knee injury put we behind a desk and looking for a new career.

Her advice to me if stopped for speeding / fixed penalty offence etc that is borderline is to not accept the fixed penalty/on the spot fine, ask them to report it to the Procurator Fiscal and take your chances. There are so many mistakes an officer can make in his/her notebook and the effort required to write up the report and get a conviction is labour intensive. If there are even grammatical errors it can get red penned by the PF and this is another reason my wife followed a new career path, frustration at criminals she had arrested getting off on a technicality before even going to court.

Her advice is don't be a pr1ck about it. Just say you don't believe you were doing / had done what they say and you'd like them to report it to the PF. Not a sure thing though and could probably lead to more points and increased fine if it doesn't work out.

In the OPs case it sounds as if he's accepted an on the spot fixed penalty which means your goosed and will have to take it on the chin.