Labour Are Stuffed - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Labour Are Stuffed

18 months ago a pal of mine was a die-hard Labour supporter. Despised the SNP.

Despite supporting Irish nationalism he could see no place for an independent Scotland. Gave me grief if he saw me out leafleting.

Together with others I managed to shift him to be a Yes voter (the Elaine C Smith video from Calton Hill really helped) – the illogicality of his stance finally got through.

Considering where he’d started out, this move was very significant for him, and I did wonder how he would see things post-ref. Would he go back to Labour, one more time, “to keep the Tories out”?

Last night he showed me his SNP membership card.

If this guy’s turned, Labour really are in trouble. :ok:

at my local snp branch meeting the other night, there was 7 new members who had all been Labour members 3 years ago.... ... our village membership has gone up from 36 - 104 , only 2000 voters here.

We also had a wee surprise as a guy who had voted ' no' joined as well, he shocked us all when he 'came out' but good for him, he changes his mind when the first result came in and regretted what he had done....

we need to know the story why they voted against all logic and common sense... he was scared he said..

Makes me vomit that, "aw a sapport irishness but no care about Scotland". Must be the establishments dream, divide and conquer, split Scotland right down the middle Least this persons seen the light (not just cause they have registered with the snp). Sadly bet there's 1000s of others who still think the same with regards to both sides of the Irish border and scotland

18 months ago a pal of mine was a die-hard Labour supporter. Despised the SNP.

Despite supporting Irish nationalism he could see no place for an independent Scotland. Gave me grief if he saw me out leafleting.

Together with others I managed to shift him to be a Yes voter (the Elaine C Smith video from Calton Hill really helped) – the illogicality of his stance finally got through.

Considering where he’d started out, this move was very significant for him, and I did wonder how he would see things post-ref. Would he go back to Labour, one more time, “to keep the Tories out”?

Last night he showed me his SNP membership card.

If this guy’s turned, Labour really are in trouble. :ok:

Tell me it's no George Galloway...!

Makes me vomit that, "aw a sapport irishness but no care about Scotland". Must be the establishments dream, divide and conquer, split Scotland right down the middle Least this persons seen the light (not just cause they have registered with the snp). Sadly bet there's 1000s of others who still think the same with regards to both sides of the Irish border and scotland

Thankfully, I think such people are becoming increasingly rare. Many, I suspect, will have gone on a similar 'journey' to the OP's pal due the referendum campaign. They may not be as emotionally connected to the Scottish cause as they are Ireland's, but I think they are able to see the parallels.

Think one of the many positive things that have come from the referendum process decision etc has been that people seem to be beginning to think about their vote and what it means. I think the "traditional" labour voter attitude is dying off, slowly, but dying off all the same...

No, he's not. He's a good guy who used to be confused. It's guys like this we have to win over. Insults aren't going to work.

And in response to Armchair Bob, no, he's not George Galloway either.

Exactly. You get far more with sugar than with vinegar. Don't alienate people by holding them in contempt for admitting weakness. They're asking for information now. How that information is delivered will have bearing on the next result.

Your Scottish venacular attempt seems to contain a number of dialects and a yoda contribution..........

You really need to wonder, what the Liebour party in Scotland, would have to do, to make the Scottish people forget, that they got into bed with the tories, and lied through their teeth, to keep the union together, for a few more years.

Even if the Lieour party found a way of curing cancer, ending war and global hunger, as well as finding Craig Whyte, there are people like me, who will never forgive them, for selling Scotland down the river.