Arthur Montford. - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Arthur Montford.

How many times did we hear that?

I use the expression all the time to express some minor setback which is rarely anything to do with Scotland or football.

That, and "what a stramash" - always raises a smile dahn sarf.

Lifelong memories - RIP Arthur

Aye, I use it a lot as well.

On a bit of a youtube nostalgia trip tonight.

I think this was one of Arthur's last commentaries. I mind thinking at the time it was unusual to hear him as Jock Brown had pretty much cornered the STV mic duties by that point...

Classic goal commentary at 8:45 :)

Here's a favourite from the 80's.

To think we thought we were getting served up sh*t back then after what the Lisbon Lions achieved.

Turns out this was a Celtic team with a great chemistry and 10 (!) Scots. McGrain, Aitken, Burns, McStay, McLeod, Provan, McGarvey, McLair. Could have been the Scotland team back in the day and I say that not as a Celtic fan.

Oh, and unlike today the commentary is understated and wonderful.

Rip Arthur Montford and another week bit of my childhood.

Those videos reinforce how much we missed McGrain at Argentina 78 and in 74 we could and should have went all the way

Will never have a better chance - or team

Those videos reinforce how much we missed McGrain at Argentina 78 and in 74 we could and should have went all the way

Will never have a better chance - or team

We should probably have knocked Brazil out in 74. The Dutch would've destroyed us in the second round though...

We should probably have knocked Brazil out in 74. The Dutch would've destroyed us in the second round though...

Not so sure - i think the Dutch had just as good a team in 78, probably more balanced

The 74 team's deficiences were exposed by Germany in the final