Amir Khan - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Amir Khan

Johnny McRotten

He's fighting Devon Alexander tonight, and it's not a completely easy one to predict. Alexander's had some good wins - he beat Marcos Maidana more easily than Khan did, and in fact more easily than Mayweather did. But Shawn Porter beat him, mostly by shoving him about from what I could see.

Everybody knows Khan's limitations. He's as fast and skilful in attack as anybody, but anybody with a punch - even a crude brawler like Breidis Prescott - has a chance of beating him. Alexander doesn't seem to have big one-punch power, so Khan should be able to score against him without too much fear of getting laid out.

On the undercard, there's another welterweight, Keith Thurman, who looks like Khan's worst nightmare. I've seen it said that Mayweather might require Thurman and Khan to fight each other for the right to fight him (assuming they both win). If that happens, Khan will never get that big payday.

Khan always stays in front of someone too long, if he could move off a punch earlier he'd be beter off.

Watching Thurman now, first time seeing him that i remember recently, yeah this dude he;s fightng isn't giving him much at all though, but Khan will be a totally different style.

Khan always stays in front of someone too long, if he could move off a punch earlier he'd be beter off.

Watching Thurman now, first time seeing him that i remember recently, yeah this dude he;s fightng isn't giving him much at all though, but Khan will be a totally different style.

Not watched either fight yet but I see they both won easily. I've never seen anybody look good against Thurman - everybody reverts to survival mode after a round or two. Thurman's biggest problem is that nobody wants to fight him - he doesn't have a big ppv fan base like Khan or some of the Latino fighters have, so there's not much incentive in taking the enormous risk involved in fighting him. I think that poor risk/reward ratio won't aapeal to May weather, so Floyd will take Khan on next year, and I think Khan has a good chance of beating him - Floyd's definitely on the slide, vulnerable to speed, and he doesn't carry the kind of punch that Khan can't cope with.

Have you been training him? He was getting his punches off and moving before Alexander could counter. He looked absolutely sensational against a decent opponent. In this kind of form his bad reaction to getting chinned might not matter, since he's just too fast for most people to catch, Mayweather included.

I've not watched the Thurman fight but by all accounts he was pretty unimpressive despite winning every single round on every single scorecard.

Have you been training him? He was getting his punches off and moving before Alexander could counter. He looked absolutely sensational against a decent opponent. In this kind of form his bad reaction to getting chinned might not matter, since he's just too fast for most people to catch, Mayweather included.

I've not watched the Thurman fight but by all accounts he was pretty unimpressive despite winning every single round on every single scorecard.

Aye watched it live, he was perfect as Pauli Malignaggi said in commentary he said Khan is a nightmare for boxers(including mayweather), cause everything you do he does better and faster, but punchers who just try and time him have a much better chance. I think he looks stable at the weight now.

Thurman was fighting a cagey as feck guy who just feinted like mad, moved out of range as soon as it got hot and was technically proficient but never attacking so to be fair not much he could do. Thurman was still trying to set stuff up off the jab but literally had zero counter options and no openings.

I tell you on that form folk are lucky Khan doesn't have a good chin otherwise he could be the dominant fighter of his generation.

• 1 month later...