Australian Open Tennis - Page 2 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Australian Open Tennis

min

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are then any posters on here that know what they're talking about when it comes to tennis?

My thought was that Murray's play was pretty sloppy in the 2nd set when he let a break go twice. However, it might have been a case of his opponent stepping his game up.

I like to think I know a bit (never played it though).

I would agree certainly that Murray should have won the second set. He made all the running and had plenty of opportunities and lost a point in the tiebreaker he should have nightmares about. That aside, mentally he was very solid, fitness looked good and had a decent level of aggression. That is now 16 slam quarters out of the last 16 slams he has played - impressive. Also now stands joint 8th in list of most wins at the Australian Open in the Open era overtaking the likes of Jim Courier, Mats Wilander and Andy Roddick.

Thought Murray's level was pretty good the whole match. Dimitrov played spells of inspired tennis, such as the first 3 games and the 2nd set tie break, when no-one could have lived with him but Murray knew he could never sustain that level of play for very long so he just had to stay consistent.

I don't know much about the technical aspects, but follow the sport very closely and in a five set match at this level every player will have a couple of games where their form appears to did / they lose concentration / become aware of a niggling injury.

I thought Murray was excellent yesterday - against a younger opponent who is rising up the rankings year after year and will win a major sooner rather than later. To win five games on the bounce to take that match requires championship winning form.

Are then any posters on here that know what they're talking about when it comes to tennis?

My thought was that Murray's play was pretty sloppy in the 2nd set when he let a break go twice. However, it might have been a case of his opponent stepping his game up.

Why are you limiting that question to Tennis?

Could be used in most threads on here

Both players won the exact same number of points in the 2nd set.Yes Murray should have closed the set out but Dimitrov upped his game when he needed to and Murray couldn't cope for a 15 minute spell.

I'm getting ahead of myself here but would the Men's final be Sunday in to Monday or Monday in to Tuesday? If it's Sunday in to Monday then that and the Superbowl will make for a pretty good nights sport! (And make up for what will precede it on Sunday afternoon!)