Fernando Ricksen Tribute Match - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Fernando Ricksen Tribute Match

Yes every sportsman - is there something speacial about them, compared to any one else who has the/a illness ?

Aye okay your point is understandable then. Suppose their just lucky enough to be professional sportsmen to be able to have this kind of support in their time of need, simply because their well known.

Edited by GRBear

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO all the money should be going to Ricksen. The fans turning up and paying are doing so because of him. The fact that another couple of charities are going to benefit due to Rangers fans support for him means any money they get is an unexpected bonus IMO.

This is in effect a testimonial for Ricksen and while some high profile players have given the proceeds of their testimonials to charity they tend to be the exception. There is also an argument that those who do give away will either be very wealthy to begin with or have quite lucrative future earnings potentials once their careers are over, something that won't be available to the Ricksen family. That's not to say their gestures aren't significant and appreciated to whoever benefits but at the end of the day this game is for Ricksen, fans are turning up because of him and another couple of charities are benefitting when they normally wouldn't because of him. There is no doubt in my mind he should be the main beneficiary.

IMO all the money should be going to Ricksen. The fans turning up and paying are doing so because of him. The fact that another couple of charities are going to benefit due to Rangers fans support for him means any money they get is an unexpected bonus IMO.

This is in effect a testimonial for Ricksen and while some high profile players have given the proceeds of their testimonials to charity they tend to be the exception. There is also an argument that those who do give away will either be very wealthy to begin with or have quite lucrative future earnings potentials once their careers are over, something that won't be available to the Ricksen family. That's not to say their gestures aren't significant and appreciated to whoever benefits but at the end of the day this game is for Ricksen, fans are turning up because of him and another couple of charities are benefitting when they normally wouldn't because of him. There is no doubt in my mind he should be the main beneficiary.

^^^

Looked in on this to ask if McCoist is being allowed to show up? Absolute insanity that one - shouldn't even be an issue.

Some of the posts on here....FFS. If you've nothing positive to say, can you not just leave it?

Kenneth I think I've disagreed with about 99.9999% of your posts but on both points you've hit the nail on the head.

if you want your money to go to ricksen then buy a ticket for the game.

if you want your money to be shared with other MND sufferers then send your money directly to the charity.

It's not hard.

Edited by Big Col

Absolutely disgusting disease. I sincerely wish Fernando all the very best and think this is a great event. Hope Ibrox is packed, the day is a success and raises the required funds.

Would be a shame if the likes of McCoist couldn't be there because of a contractual issue - utter nonsense given what this represents.

if you want your money to go to ricksen then buy a ticket for the game.

if you want your money to be shared with other MND sufferers then send your money directly to the charity.

It's not hard.

25% of the profits from the match are going MND charities and there's already been a Ricksen fund raising dinner where all the proceeds went to MND charities.

So where are all the ill informed "it's all going to Ricksen" posters now?

Look, I made a point that it seemed reasonable to me that all families who were struggling financially as a result of this disease should get proceeds as far as possible and a significant proportion going to one family didn't seem right to me. Nothing to do with the man, who he plays for or whatever was levelled. it's a reasonable well measured point in my opinion and to take offence at it seems bizarre.

Look, I made a point that it seemed reasonable to me that all families who were struggling financially as a result of this disease should get proceeds as far as possible and a significant proportion going to one family didn't seem right to me. Nothing to do with the man, who he plays for or whatever was levelled. it's a reasonable well measured point in my opinion and to take offence at it seems bizarre.

This is effectively Ricksens testimonial. Should all players give away their testimonial money?

This is effectively Ricksens testimonial. Should all players give away their testimonial money?

People buying tickets know where the money is going to. They are not being forced to buy a ticket, so I don't see the problem.

One thing that might be a concern though is who is handling the ticket sales and then the responsibility to pass it on?

Yeah i was thinking the same, the fact he is passing on significant amounts and has already passed on money is a point to his credit, inverting the argument doesn't seem very charitable. We've had people doing racing nights and sponsored football games for people needing a wheelchair or once when the school librarian kid needed funds to live in a bubble due to immune problems. The community got together to help out, the extra money raised was passed on to an equivalent charity, there was no logic in saying well you shouldn't get any of that, it should all go to a wheelchair charity instead.

This seems the same case, someone needed help the community came together to give that help , and are helping others out in the process.

I agree. It's then up to people if they want to attend just like any testimonial.

I've never really agreed with the concept of testimonials, well those who have earned great wealth from the game, especially when they keep the money for themselves.

Obviously this game is different. And one Id try and go to if I had the chance.

I have every sympathy for Ricksen, just like anyone with this illness or any deliberating / incurable illness. It's a of a thing to be diagnosed with. Horrible.

Edited by ParisInAKilt

Think Ricksen was one of those players, if he played against your team, you thought he was a complete d'ck, but if he played for your team youd most likely love him.

He was a good player, mixing Dutch ability and Scottish mentality, bit of a hothead at times but he was definitely a good player for Rangers.

This illness seems to be a right , hope he gets close to a full house tomorrow.

It was a poorly researched and reactionary post. As highlighted by MND Scotland on their website they are getting 25% of the proceeds from tomorrow and got 100% of the proceeds from an earlier fund raising dinner.