Accies V Dons - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Accies V Dons

I thought PP was meant to be a god last year and had a song dedicated to him ?

He was our POTY last year IMO. So often (especially in big games) he played a massive (and quite often the key) role. Victories over Celtic x2, St Johnstone in the league cup, utd at tannadice and many others, wouldn't have happened without him.

He came good when it mattered most. He deserved the adulation.

It is the way of so many Aberdeen fans to be very short sighted and desperate to slag off a player though so I'm unsurprised to see folk sayings he's "been found out".

PP will be vital to any success we may have this year. And to contribute to his maximum he has to play in his best position, just off the striker.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many games have just passed Pawlett by this season....his contribution has been peripheral more often than not.

I've no idea if that's because he's off form, if he's been played out of position, if the team has changed the way it plays, or if he's just been found out by the opposition.

He's too good a player though not to come good again.

Too many games have just passed Pawlett by this season....his contribution has been peripheral more often than not.

I've no idea if that's because he's off form, if he's been played out of position, if the team has changed the way it plays, or if he's just been found out by the opposition.

He's too good a player though not to come good again.

Same happened to Gauld last year second half and Armstrong this season. Young players for you.

He was our POTY last year IMO. So often (especially in big games) he played a massive (and quite often the key) role. Victories over Celtic x2, St Johnstone in the league cup, utd at tannadice and many others, wouldn't have happened without him.

He came good when it mattered most. He deserved the adulation.

It is the way of so many Aberdeen fans to be very short sighted and desperate to slag off a player though so I'm unsurprised to see folk sayings he's "been found out".

PP will be vital to any success we may have this year. And to contribute to his maximum he has to play in his best position, just off the striker.

I don't need to do this vicariously.

Every player was key to the victories you highlight.

I like Pawlett a lot. The only short sightedness here is people not appreciating the fact he has been too peripheral too often this season. Why? Teams know he is a danger and obviously try to negate him. So let's try something different for a spell to get teams guessing. Furthermore, the Dons team has evolved, clearly we can't expect all fans to do the same. However most seem to appreciate the need to discuss alternatives to issues that clearly aren't bearing fruit.

Not sure where anyone is trying to "slag off" Pawlett. That just sounds like more drama induced adjectives to try and get this back to the playground.

So, that all said, am I right in thinking you'd drop Goodwillie just now for Pawlett? You clearly think that Pawlett is operating at the same level as last season? Teams don't see him as a danger and don't set up to negate him? Feel free to answer, or jump on someone else's coat tails and make more snide second hand remarks. Your choice.

Edited by SMcoolJ

I'll attempt to reply, i'd appreciate if you were less confrontational and aggressive. If you keep that up then i'll be withdrawing from the discussion.

I'll give this one last go though.

Every player was key to the victories you highlight.

IMO Pawlett was the key. In so many matches it was his contribution that was the decisive one. I'm not saying other players didn't contribute, i just feel Pawlett has match-winning qualities, which he demonstrated often.

I like Pawlett a lot. The only short sightedness here is people not appreciating the fact he has been too peripheral too often this season. Why? Teams know he is a danger and obviously try to negate him. So let's try something different for a spell to get teams guessing. Furthermore, the Dons team has evolved, clearly we can't expect all fans to do the same. However most seem to appreciate the need to discuss alternatives to issues that clearly aren't bearing fruit.

Pawlett has spent most of his career being an ineffective winger. Last season he played centrally and had the season of his life. I think that is by far his best position and even in a lull in form, he'll be more effective there than out wide.

If teams are setting up specifically to negate PP's influence, then surely others must have more space/opportunity to make things happen and contribute to our attacks? Too often we've relied too heavily on Hayes or PP to make things happen. That needs to change.

Not sure where anyone is trying to "slag off" Pawlett. That just sounds like more drama induced adjectives to try and get this back to the playground.

Let's keep the discussion on PP or Aberdeen and away from Parklife.

So, that all said, am I right in thinking you'd drop Goodwillie just now for Pawlett?

Nope. At this moment in time i think Goodie looks more threatening than Rooney. Alternatively i'd consider playing Goodwillie left of the 3 with McGinn right.

You clearly think that Pawlett is operating at the same level as last season?

Nope. But i don't believe the solution to someone having a dip in form is always to drop them or shift them position. I believe playing through it will benefit PP and AFC.

Teams don't see him as a danger and don't set up to negate him?

Of course they do, that's a positive of PP! But if they are it's up to others to also step up to the plate and contribute. If PP is being marked more tightly then someone else must have additional space.

I'll attempt to reply, i'd appreciate if you were less confrontational and aggressive. If you keep that up then i'll be withdrawing from the discussion.

IMO Pawlett was the key. In so many matches it was his contribution that was the decisive one. I'm not saying other players didn't contribute, i just feel Pawlett has match-winning qualities, which he demonstrated often.

Pawlett has spent most of his career being an ineffective winger. Last season he played centrally and had the season of his life. I think that is by far his best position and even in a lull in form, he'll be more effective there than out wide.

If teams are setting up specifically to negate PP's influence, then surely others must have more space/opportunity to make things happen and contribute to our attacks? Too often we've relied too heavily on Hayes or PP to make things happen. That needs to change.

Nope. At this moment in time i think Goodie looks more threatening than Rooney. Alternatively i'd consider playing Goodwillie left of the 3 with McGinn right.

Nope. But i don't believe the solution to someone having a dip in form is always to drop them or shift them position. I believe playing through it will benefit PP and AFC.

Of course they do, that's a positive of PP! But if they are it's up to others to also step up to the plate and contribute. If PP is being marked more tightly then someone else must have additional space.

I'm the one being confrontational?! That did make me giggle!!

Anyway - we are now having an adult discussion so well done to us both.

Completely agree that Pawlett was one of our many key players last season. The League Cup final was a perfect illustration of how much we missed him - and Hayes (a point you also make). Pawlett probably won us the semi against St Johnstone too. That's without getting into his contribution in the league games.

I think Goodwillie playing so well and dropping in behind Rooney to link the play has taken up some of the space Pawlett used to find - this may be a factor in Pawletts game involvement. I think Goodwillie is proving extremely effective at the moment though so would be hard to change that to accommodate Pawlett. Hence the suggestion to play him wide for a change - where in spells already this season he has been extremely effective. And absolutely yes, the fact teams see Pawlett as a significant danger is a huge compliment to him. It comes with the territory.

Also, you make a a fair point that solving a drop in form isn't always about making change. I do however think the Goodwillie factor does mean we need to try something different to see what happens - this was the only point i was making. I also very much like the idea of MCGinn playing in the hole from time to time - i think he and Goodwillie (and Jack but in a different way) are the best football players at the club.

All of the above is a nice problem in some ways - not for years have we had 5 (Rooney, Goodwillie, Pawlett, McGinn, Hayes (when not playing LB)) such good first team attacking players.

Unfortunately, the defence now seems to be the issue.

Did I just see 'Aberdeen' and 'Entertain' in the same sentence?

It must be 5pm somewhere.

Probably the most entertaining team in Scotland so far this season. Guarantee of goals at both ends (most games).

I'd settle for a few 1-0 wins over the next few weeks though.

You must be great at Football Manager.

You must be great at Football Manager.

Larky, i'm allowed to have an opinion. You think i talk shite, i get that, you've demonstrated that often enough.

Anyway, i've completed Football Manager. :ok:

Completely agree that Pawlett was one of our many key players last season. The League Cup final was a perfect illustration of how much we missed him - and Hayes (a point you also make). Pawlett probably won us the semi against St Johnstone too. That's without getting into his contribution in the league games.

Agree. Hence why, despite him being injured, i was so chuffed at the adulation he got after the Cup Final. 50,000 folk singing his song as he sheepishly walked round was brilliant!

I think Goodwillie playing so well and dropping in behind Rooney to link the play has taken up some of the space Pawlett used to find - this may be a factor in Pawletts game involvement. I think Goodwillie is proving extremely effective at the moment though so would be hard to change that to accommodate Pawlett. Hence the suggestion to play him wide for a change - where in spells already this season he has been extremely effective. And absolutely yes, the fact teams see Pawlett as a significant danger is a huge compliment to him. It comes with the territory.

You're right about Goodie taking up PP's space. I do think Goodwillie playing himself will enable others, when Goodie drops deep, to drive beyond him and get goals. It's difficult for defenders to counteract runners like PP from deep when they've been dragged out of position by Goodie's movement.

We have options in attacking areas though, which is something that's often been missing down the years. It's just up to McInnes to find the right balance, which is proving difficult.

Also, you make a a fair point that solving a drop in form isn't always about making change. I do however think the Goodwillie factor does mean we need to try something different to see what happens - this was the only point i was making. I also very much like the idea of MCGinn playing in the hole from time to time - i think he and Goodwillie (and Jack but in a different way) are the best football players at the club.

I've been slagged on here previously for how highly i think of Jack. His form has dipped slightly of late too mind you. His game intelligence and ball retention are excellent though. I doubt we'll hold on to him for much longer.

Unfortunately, the defence now seems to be the issue.

Ash Taylor is one of the worst players i've ever seen play for Aberdeen :(