U21 Squad - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U21 Squad

wanderer

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant find an online copy of the article but in today's Metro there was a thing about Jack Harper and it suggested Sbragia wasnt taking Harper because he didnt feel he was big enough to have an influence against Austria? Im sure there was a direct quote in there as well.

Jesus I thought we were passed nonsense like this

Cant find an online copy of the article but in today's Metro there was a thing about Jack Harper and it suggested Sbragia wasnt taking Harper because he didnt feel he was big enough to have an influence against Austria? Im sure there was a direct quote in there as well.

Jesus I thought we were passed nonsense like this

There was a photo from a U19 get together in England last year (all none-Scottish based players involved) and though he was on one knee in the front row, Harper looked a clear foot bigger than the rest of the team :blink:

There is also a photo he posted few months back, where he is next to Ronaldo, and unless he was on tip toes, they were shoulder to shoulder, and think Ronaldo is taller than a lot of players we have available.

Edited by wanderer

I think its in the record aswell. Couldnt believe what I was reading. Here we have 1 scottish player on the books at Real Madrid and cant get into the u19 or the u21 squad for being too wee. Honestly these dinosaur management methods are by with. If messi was an 18 year old scottish player he would be playing amateur because we waste potential

He's 6ft as well so I really dont understand it :blink:

When you look at photo's of him, 3/4 years ago I would agree he is small..... but he has clearly had a major growth spurt since then, and any recent photos he does look a bit of a beanstalk

When you look at photo's of him, 3/4 years ago I would agree he is small..... but he has clearly had a major growth spurt since then, and any recent photos he does look a bit of a beanstalk

I watched him a few times in the European youth league and he was much more muscular that Ronaldo was at that age. He was also by far the best player I saw in any of the games I watched.

WHY REAL JACK CAN'T GET A GAME FOR SCOTS

- A 'luxury'

- He's not tall enough (at 6ft)

- Based abroad

SCOTLAND under 19s boss Ricky Sbragia has explained why 'luxury' Real Mardid kid Jack Harper hasn't been included in his squad for this weeks UEFA Elite round in Austria - he isn't big enough.

The young Scots travel to play three games against the hosts Italy and Croatia in Vienna. Highly rated forward Harper has netted three goals for Real Madrid in this season's UEFA Youth League, is midway through a five year deal at the Bernabeu and can count on Zinedine Zidane as one of his coaches.

Sbragia explained it's nothing personal with the 19 year old - he's just gone for a more physical approach, despite Harper standing just over 6ft tall. Sbragia said "Our concentration is on the opening game with Austria and we've deliberately got more height. That's one of the reasons why Jack isn't in. Unfortunately I don't see enough of him in action. The last time he was with us, he did OK but I wanted a little more impact. At Real Madrid he can float all over the place, which he does. But with us, he has to be more disciplined. Hes an exceptionally gifted lad but sometimes we cant carry him. He can be a luxury sometimes. If it's going well he can be a good luxury.

Sbragia still believes Harper has a big future. He added 'Jack's time will come. The last time I spoke to him he wanted to really settle in at Real Madrid and find a place there. Ive gone with the boys I've seen most in the last six months. We keep tabs on Jack. We have people over there who keep their eye on them.

"But i've picked a group of 18 which will hopefully do well for us I've gone for a physical side and runners. Hopefully, I'm right"

Fair enough with some of it but deary me.

Also apologies for putting this in the u21 thread when its about the u19s...

Fantastic, rather than utilise our most skilful young players to beat Austria, we're instead going to just kick them and bully them around the pitch for 90 minutes and perhaps scrape a get a 0-0.

Honestly, anyone that still believes in picking big lads ahead of the skilful ones, is a fecking moron.

Its shocking mate, a prospect with potential at one of the best clubs in the world cant get into our u19 squad.

Is this guy having a laugh?

what does he want from his players?

That is the thing, it is very un-Sbragia like............... his sides were good to watch and played great passing football that seemed to click.... then they got to Billy Stark and that all went out the window and was like they had never played with each other before.

jesus christ, not even deemed to be good enough for the squad ahead of players at bradford and hamilton (no disrespect) this is a total joke, "achh he floats about the place, doesnt keep to the rigid shape wants to get on the ball too much that boy, luxury !"